What is happening to Rugby and Australian Football TV coverage in the US?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by OldFanatic, Jan 10, 2005.

1. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    westcoast9294 : Thanks much for bringing us the updates. I assume you're in the Perth/Fremantle area. Where are you getting these updates about the US from? Are they over the internet somewhere? It's OK if your sources are secret, and you don't want to divulge them.

Damn.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to westcoast9294 again."

Hopefully someone else will give positive to rep to westcoast on my behalf.

2. mcpish

mcpish New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    I have just recieved confirmation that AUSSIE RULES FOOTBALL will return to Fox Sports World Canada at the end of March as well as NRL Rugby League. The deal was apparantly just confirmed yesterday by FSWC management. I'm not sure about US coverage however

3. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Thats great news for Canada.
    Still could be a last minute deal for the US. (All I know is that the USAFL president was optimistic that someone will pick the sport up)

Re my info: No secrets really ---
    I have time to browse around various sites, and have had a interest in the spread of our great sport around the world since circa 1998.

Go the mighty Eagles this friday night at Subiaco Oval.

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the AFL site, and there is a very simple solution for Australian Football coverage in the US.

https://telstra.com/subscriptions/afl/subscribe.asp

$59.95 to watch all matches, available for 1 full year. Yes, that is Australian dollars, so I think it's even cheaper than American dollars. This includes highlights of the weekly round, best goals, best marks.

None of the matches are live. But it's not like outside of the Grand Final we could watch any matches live anyway. We could listen to matches live for free. But if it's possible to watch them on a 24 hour delay, I could hold off from listening to the free audio. I think we'll have to live with this solution in the US.

Here are more details from that page:

- watch all 2005 AFL matches (available a minimum of 24 hours after the final siren)
    - watch all 2003 and 2004 AFL matches
    - watch classic matches from 1995 to 2002
    - watch highlights, coach and player interviews, press conferences and more
    - ability to build highlights video of players’ marks and goals
    - listen to coach and player interviews, pre and post match press conferences, and more

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've done a bit of searching around on this ASTN. At this point it is a pie-in-the-sky. I don't see even 0.1% of American population having access to this channel any time soon. Their website is mostly fluff with no concrete info about anything.

It only makes sense for fans based in the US to shell out these odd $60 and get on with things. There is no sense in brooding over this issue now.

6. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC

done, but be warned, if the news is bad for AFL on TV, then the rep points will be bad for both of you!

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, right. Shoot the messanger.

Actually, I already brought the good news. For Aus$60, the entire season on your PC. This is an upgrade from AFL on Fox Sports World last year, except that the Grand Final may be delayed by 24 hours.

So, where is the rep then? :)

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    The news is good for Aussie Rules fans- read on:
    Fox Soccer Channel USA will cover the 2005 AFL season.
    It starts on April 1 on FSC. Check the schedules.

Apparently thev have coined a curious phrase for the coverage, "Oval Ball block programming." Apparently I think Rugby League is also mentioned.

10. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that mentioned here:

http://afana.com/af_tvinfo.shtml

This is great news!

11. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The correct link to start from is:

http://telstra.com/subscriptions/afl/

12. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Glory hallelujah! I can now vacation in peace!

13. mcpish

mcpish New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    My feelings exactly. I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders to know that Aussie Rules will be back... now if they can just change that damn opening tune to the Aussie Rules show.. that guy's tooting voice sounds annoying.