What is DeRo's Best Position?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Hedbal, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came here as the AM but moved up front because injuries depleted our roster of forwards. He's obviously a finisher, no doubt the best we have. But when we have everyone back, where should he play? More specifically, where should he slot in next year when we start the season with everyone presumably healthy?

My 2c worth: If Boskovic returns, as I fervently hope he does, I would play DeRo as the withdrawn forward behind a target striker like, say, Brettschnieder, with Bosko at AM. Before his injury, Bosko was finally showing his class, and a midfield of Pontius, Boskovic, Simms (or Kitchen) and Najar would be threatening. Add Santino as a super sub. Of course, Pontius could pair with DeRo at forward with Tino taking the left mid spot. In any case, if Boskovic returns we will have the luxury of putting our most lethal finisher that much closer to the goal.

2. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now with De Ro still giving so much effort I think he obviously should continue to be an A Mid. The more ball he sees the better. He Scores from A mid he scores from Striker. Why not have him score and help run our midfield? Next year would probably be the time to move him up if his legs start to not give him as much as he needs to cover all that ground.

3. djcandle19

djcandle19 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Nation's Capitol
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see him up front some more. Our 4-4-2 is nice when there's finesse in the final third, something I feel we lack at times. Wolff has a great ability to pull players with him, so it always leaves our forwards 1v1. If anyone can beat that on our squad, DeRo's that guy.

4. X@V!3R

X@V!3R Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Land of the Lost
    Facing goal with the ball at his feet.

:D

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the field.

In black. ;)

But seriously... I completely agree with the below. However, as much as you and I may want Boskovic to come back, I wouldn't bet my cassette tape collection on it.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to say "the guy with the ball"

7. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what his best position is, but his best position with United is up top. There's a serious dearth of killers up front in the league, never mind United, and he's one of those guys. He's getting older and less running/defensive responsibility will keep him around a little longer. Q, Najar, Pontius, all serviceable AM's, but I believe United needs to fill that position from outside. IMO, it's harder to fill that killer striker role than it is to fill the AM role.

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    With the current roster, put DeRo up top with Wolff or BB. Move Q to the AM role. Davies is the sub for Wolff, King is the sub for Q if more defense is need. After Saturday's match, I think that's how the season plays out. If Q plays as well as he did Saturday, that lineup will be lethal.

Next year, who knows? Will Boskovic be back? Will Will pay DeRo DP money -- he effing better. Who is lost in the Montreal expansion draft?

9. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    This. I would like to see Pontius, Quaranta, and Najar across midfield with Simms backing them up. DeRo and Wolff/Davies up front. Wolff is more creative with the ball and can find DeRo in tight spaces probably a little better. However, I think the fact that opposing teams will be scared of DeRo shooting from far out will cause them to collapse in on him, possibly giving Davies more space to move.

10. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I'm seeing. Granted, not every team is as weak as Toronto, who could not threaten consistently, even a man up! Still, playing the withdrawn forward role helps get DeRo in more dangerous positions. I won't speculate on how Boskovic's recovery will go, if he will be available this season at all... but even with Stephen King in the lineup (not Olsen's first choice in central midfield), DeRo helped the team be more threatening playing higher up the field.

11. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Right answer!

12. HiFiRevival

HiFiRevival Member

Jan 9, 2003
    Club:
    Crystal Palace Baltimore
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree with the idea of a slightly withdrawn forward. I'd love to pair a healthy Bosko with him at AM and let those two work their magic right up the middle of the pitch. Throw in a potential poacher like BB and you've got something there.