What has happened to St. Louis University?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Bahramov, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Misha of IL

Misha of IL Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Gurnee, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it is not working out well. Sadly, I do not think the administration really cares.

McGinity plays an ugly brand of soccer. He has no connection to the local community. He does nothing to create a buzz or a brand for SLU soccer. The administration is equally to blame. Pestello and company do not understand what a revitalized soccer program could do for the school.

SLU soccer has become very sad soccer . . . .

ksc7 repped this.
  2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously have an ax to grind. That's okay. You no longer have anything of value to state.

Move on. If you want to get something done, taking it to a message board doesn't fix anything. Good luck in maturing.

3. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The most boring thread of our forum. Obsessive and repeative digital rants (sounds like something very personal, for us mere neutrals).
    Guys, stop feeding the troll (s) please.
    (I know.. By posting this, I participate to the party...:confused: But I am fed up every morning to see this thread keeping popping up at the top of the list).

ThePonchat and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    As I have said before maybe the whole program soccer and basketball need to go to Division II.

5. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    Maybe you could offer some suggestions on how I can affect change at a University program like SLU?

6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start with going straight to the people in charge, not a message board. AD, alumni, boosters, president, etc.

They have more power than a message board does.

ksc7 repped this.
  7. Bahramov

Bahramov Red Card

Sep 10, 2016
    I am sure the AD would take a meeting with a fan of the team anytime.

Much less the President of the University.

I guess you have someone that has done that before?

8. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on the Spring Season?

9. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC
    looks like a good start to the season!.... tough opponents tho, any game reports?

10. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My school fanbase does this too. Makes me want to vomit. It's worse than being called out by your biggest rival, when your own fanbase trolls you.

It's simply not that far removed (number of years) from St Louis being top 25 in basketball. There is also a top notch facility for basketball which opened AFTER A10 affiliation. Just stop with your "woe is us" posts.

If I may suggest, your soccer facility is decent. But why does SLU charge $10 for all events, men's and women's, if the stands are quite literally filled with pigeon poop? My idea is, they try to fill the stands with butts in seats, but to do that they are going to have to offer reduced prices (groupon, anyone?) and to entice season ticket holders with better product on the field, and maybe clean up the poop so that going to a game I don't have to stand for 90 if I don't want to. That's just my take, having been to a match three seasons ago and none since. But it's kind of far drive for me, so it's not like I'm necessarily in the "target audience" for SLU. I follow them only insofar as they are a relevant opponent on the schedule for teams I actively root for.

11. Misha of IL

Misha of IL Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Gurnee, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Billikens fall to Wake Forest on Saturday night 1:4. Totally outclassed by a Wake Forest team that was disciplined, precise, and competent. SLU starts the season 0-3. Not many bright spots on this team. I am afraid it is going to be a very long season!

12. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    At least they scored a goal...and then scored again against marquette...From what theyve shown thus far they might have trouble in conference. Sad this is happening again.

13. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We shall see you folks this Saturday (maybe) as Billikens host Zips.

14. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    What is the scouting report on Akron this year?

15. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good GK (usually). Talented but young CBs, Seniors on outside. MF the customary crux of the squad. (Everyone plays MF @ Akron!) Experienced but inconsistent up top. Perhaps a Sweet 16 squad, winning a match or two in the Tourney. Probably not a contender this year, but good things are on the horizon.

16. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have read this thread. What else might a scout say about the 2017 Billikens?

BTW, I take this opportunity to salute the storied NCAA history at St. Louis.

hykos1045 repped this.
  17. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Athletic. Thats about it. don't get many players forward when they do attack.

18. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is live streaming video FREE?

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Anyone with a live stream want to tell me how in the hell both Moutinho and Schultz got second yellows in the first OT?

Actually, I have no idea what's going on. Maybe only Schultz was sent off?

20. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to SLU's box it was a red card to Shultz, one of 7 cards on the day.
    Attendance 601
    Next up for SLU is Stanford (5-1) for homecoming.

21. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    No comments on Stanford game?

fknbuflobo and hykos1045 repped this.
  22. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the headline and was thrilled for my conference. I've not been particularly fond of this program's fan base and yet I do appreciate their history and their passion and the club has unbelievable talent. For the many many people who were at homecoming, I am sure they had a very invigorating experience. 2-0 domination over a legit squad.

It is just a shame now that besides one or two true fans who show face in here, for the most part the regular posters here have chosen to grind axes when things aren't going so well, instead of promoting their team when it does well. The worst kind of "bandwagon" involves the ones, who may vanish into thin air when the team's performance doesn't even come close to matching one's overall assessments. Bunch of Posers!

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the majority of the second half. It was all SLU. Nice goals. Good win. Loaded non-conference schedule, for sure.

Hot game. Seemed like the grass was a little shaggy/thick as the ball would play relatively slow on it. Great win though. Crowd was big.

24. I Hate IU

I Hate IU New Member

Mar 1, 2010

I think the biggest problem the fan base has is McGinty. I think the majority of the alumni and the fans want the program to do well, but over McGinty's seasons have just been disappointed in the quality of the team. Its a great win and hopefully they will build on this. However, going forward, the program really needs to find someone that can get them back to tournament consistently each year.

ksc7 repped this.
  25. ksc7

ksc7 Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Club:
    Karlsruher SC

Agreed here w/ mr IU hater. I think what the program needs is some mid west influence. Get the city and region rocking again! Look at Omaha. Program goes from no D1 program to well topp 25... get that guy over here! Former SLU grad, young and recruits locally, with some foreign flavor. Perfect idea for success.

Cleats Up repped this.