What Goalkeeper Will Play The Most Between World Cup 2018 and World Cup 2022?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EvanJ, Apr 2, 2017.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predict what goalkeeper will play the most minutes for the USMNT between World Cup 2018 and World Cup 2022.

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that's a good question. The goalkeeper position is probably as uncertain as it has been since 1988. Brad Guzan was supposed to be the man for 2018, but his form appears to have regressed at the club level. Tim Howard is still playing pretty well, but he is 38 years old. Here are my top candidates:
    • Bill Hamid - I like Hamid a lot and he has been mostly excellent the past few years with DC United. He hasn't broken through with the national team yet, but with Howard and Nick Rimando aging out and Guzan's future uncertain, Hamid will have a chance to seize a starting role before younger guys like Horvath and Steffen start nipping at his heels.
    • Ethan Horvath - he is only 22 and has looked good with our youth teams, in addition to earning a starting role as a youngster in Norway. Now that he is with Club Brugge in Belgium, he needs to force his way into the starting line-up and continue to progress.
    • Zack Steffen - he looks to be an excellent shot stopper and was terrific at the 2015 U-20 World Cup. He is now starting with the Columbus Crew, and, at age 22, has a chance to rocket up the depth chart in the next few years.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I would guess Horvath and Hamid will split the role. Maybe the likes of Steffen, Cropper offering quality competition.

4. coolsoccerboots

coolsoccerboots New Member

DC UNITED
    United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    It should be Guzan. Maybe Howard, but time has to catch up to him sooner rather than later.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    would Arena give Guzan the time to stake his claim?

6. coolsoccerboots

coolsoccerboots New Member

DC UNITED
    United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Not 100% percent sure, but I think so. The way Arena talked about Guzan before the Honduras game, the only reason Guzan wasn't at the camp was because he just had a kid and wanted to be with his family. Granted, that doesn't mean he will be the starter, but I do think it will be between him and Howard for now.

7. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2018 - Howard, Guzan, Horvath (last cut: Hamid)
    2022 - Horvath, Hamid, Steffen (Jesse Gonzalez)

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    gotta think Guzan is gonna be the stability option until a young gun can grab it

9. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Very hard to say since Arena's future is very uncertain as well. I'd say Guzan, but it'll be tenuous. I think Horvath is most likely to step up and take it from him.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh Im sure this is Bruce's last hurrah, he wont stay on past Russia. If Pareja signs on from Dallas however..........I think we could stand a strong chance of wooing over Gonzalez if given the chance for the #1 jersey.

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Horvath more than likely will be competing after the World Cup. maybe 2019 or 2020 at the latest.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    why hasn't he already committed to us? Or does he have a higher likelihood of featuring for Mexico? I'm not too familiar with their depth in GK

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id like to think that, but if he is perma-backup at his club that automatically bumps up others (Guzan, Steffen, Bingham, Gonzalez, Hamid, which is my 18-22 pool currently)

I would have loved that goalkeeper class from last year to have had at least one guy to emerge as a starter from it besides bono (Ritchie, Miller, Wolverton, Earl Edwards, etc) we are in dire need of more options. Hopefully MacMath can get plucked in the LAFC expansion draft.

14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I will bump JGonzo up one now lol

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesse Gonzalez.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Gotta love the diversity now. Have we had any Hispanic goalkeepers of note outside of Rimando( who is half Mexican)?

17. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I like Gonzalez a lot but I'd still have to go Horvath. That a club as solid as Gent is giving him the keys at 22 (while not even being there for a year) says a lot about him.

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Safe bet is Horvath

But with the likes of him, Gonzalez, Hamid and Steffen; we're back in good hands.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the safe bet is Guzan.
    And if a new manager comes in I think the bet is safer since they are not going to want to bet their house on some kids with little to no official match experiences.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the paperwork goes through I think it could actually be Gonzalez.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Exactly. Its almost impossible to say.

I think that no matter what happens, the USMNT has a new coach after the 2018WC (knock on wood that we qualify).

If, for instance, Oscar Pareja is the next USMNT coach........................Jesse "The Tree" Gonzalez moves to the top of the queue.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    would he value him more than say a guy playing for the no1/no2 club in Belgium and also Europa League/Champions League?

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Can we get over this Eurosnobbery that being a no1/no2 club in Belgium automatically makes a player better than an MLS #1.......................

I like Horvath, but I have no reason to assume he's better than MLS options. That's up for the USMNT staff to decide.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I never said he was. I'm just stating his opposition will be higher than that of Gonzalez's.

25. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Horvath, Klinsmann, Steffen.