What effect did Boca Jr's despicable behavior vs. Chivas have on Argentina soccer?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by vistamn, Jun 22, 2005.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, Various Styles, I agree with most of what you say. What Boca did was shameful. As the game progressed, I was proud of the way they were attacking and leaving their heart on the field, but at the same time I also thought that the whole match they were playing dirty and the ref was letting them get away with dirty play. I did feel some shame, and there are some players that I hope we get rid off, like Cascini. Not because he's a bad player but because he is such an ass and a disgrace to the game.

And I accept that the problem with violence in the Argentine stadiums and with fans who behave like criminals is a very serious one which has to be solved. But in that match I think that without Bofo's provocation it all would have probably ended without further irregularities. You cannot just say that he has no responsibility at all. Anybody who understands the football codes of the players and fans understands the significance of his role in the affair. This in no way justifies what was done to him, before or after his provocation, but it is a fact.

We can speculate about motives, but it takes character to admit your mistakes and apologize, and it also takes character to forgive those who intended injury to you.

After watching Bofo's performance in the first match, which Chivas won, I was wondering why a player of his caliber is not in the national team. Perhaps it is his attitude that keeps him off the team.

And yes, Chivas earned respect. Not only they played well but they played with heart. In this age of prima donnas, we have to admire players who step off an airplane and play their hearts out on one day's rest.

2. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    I wasnt really bothered by the constant hacking, which is something i have come to expect from Copa Libertadores play. Many of the matches are no longer games but battle royals. Chivas was even guilty of this against Paranaense.

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. The Sao Caetano vs America (Mex) had a similiar incident with a brasilian player celebrating by imitating a bird, in refrence to America's "aguilas", which prompetd Blanco to start a fight. IMO this was worse than score board, which is quite common. i would rank right up there with the finger to the mouth.

Anyways like Palermo i believe Cuauhtemocs actions got the America fans worked up which later led to the pitch invasion. Both these players are simbols and idols and have heavy influence on the fans. The one player i thought was really classy was Marcelo "Chelo" Delgado who was trying to calm down the fans and could clearly be seen as disapointed that the game had to be cancelled. i know he would have prefered to fight to the last minute, at least for a one goal victory.

True, but he did it as retaliation, and not just out of the blue. And i repeat Palermo is the only one to blame because after he head butted Bautista and after they were both red carded he was still trying to fight him, what message was he sending his fan base. If you ask me he was saying lets hurt this guy. Benitez spitting on him was the icing on the cake, at that point i wasnt even surprised that the fan jumped over and tried to hit Bautista.

I dont trust Benitez, he is even trying to sue Boca Juniors. but again no need for a Media Circus, that just reeks of seeking attention. Honestly did he really have to alert the press and say hey im going to apologize. Doesnt take big balls to walk with a brigade of cameras following you. and i hope he never gets to work in the MFL. And dont think i hate Argie coaches, i even get flamed in the Mexico forum for being pro, Passatella, Griffa, and wanting the likes of Tolo Gallego to coach in our league.

Bautiosta has been called up to the national team and i agree his attitude has been part of the reason why he isnt constally called up. He has received one more chance to make an impression and will be part of the Mexican team that will play in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I remember the incident in Mexico, and I think the same way as I do about what happened in Buenos Aires. What Blanco did is not excusable, but the Brazilian player was also to blame. Did he ever get suspended?

As far as Benitez, I have mixed feelings. I like him a lot because he was a key player in midfield for Boca when I was a kid and I idolized Boca's players back then. He was always a temperamental player and I guess his virtue was also his downfall. But I'd say based on his coaching experience at Boca, if anybody hires him as a head coach they are crazy.

We'll just have to see about Bofo. If he can consistently play the way I saw him play in Libertadores, then I'd say he belongs in Mexico's national team.

4. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel

what are you talking about??????

everybody remember when cuatctecno cuantermo or whatever when America beat Sao Caetano in group stage home and away ,he was doing the same shite to Sao Caetano players, dancing around them like a bitch,

then when Sao Caetano beat America in octavos and send them home early, i remember Sao Caetano doing the same dancing shite jajajajajaja wow man!

pay back time! baby :)

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    una idea para el castigo de BOCA: No ser invitado a copa suramericana y darle ese puesto al el equipo que en copalibertadores gano el fair play (el que menos rojas y amarillas logro)

de todas manera la bombonera sera sancionada y lo que van hacer es llevar alos equipos VISITANTES a un ambiente mas hostil con los barras bravas de Boca

cuando sale la sancion paraboca y palermo? :eek:

6. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

No se preocupe tanto Efer ... El anho pasado Boca jugo las primeras rondas de la Sudamericana en Salta. ;)

7. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    esa area no es la mas pobre y peligrosa de la republica argentina?

porque castigar a equipos visitantes de esa manera? fuera con ellos mientras se organizan y vuelven a ser grandes (mejor que esten lejos del spot lite)

ayer en futbol de primera vi los pibes nuevos....que bien estan!

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No. Salta no es la provincia mas pobre ni la mas peligrosa. Boca juega a veces en el interior del pais porque tiene muchos seguidores en todas las provincias. No tiene nada que ver con castigar al rival.

9. Hartfield

Hartfield Red Card

Jun 15, 2005
    Bogota D.C
    Re: What effect did Boca Jr's despicable behavior vs. Chivas have on Argentina soccer

how about a no espectator game like in Europe?

10. el_zacatecano

el_zacatecano New Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Clovis, Ca.
    I say the entire Boca squad including the ex coach--Benitez--ought to be lined up and shot execution style. Maybe, just maybe, I will think the punishment was enough. Maybe we could keep their bodies for ransom, and force their loved ones to pay. :)

11. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    Re: What effect did Boca Jr's despicable behavior vs. Chivas have on Argentina soccer

What effect did it have?
    It reminded me that Uruguay is Argentina's neighbor :D

12. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    the deal is done: 3games for la bombonera and 3 games suspencion for Palermo
    2games for the instigator: Bufon Bautista (already served)
    Heavy fine in usa dollars for el chino Benitez

13. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city
    i believe it was unfair to give bofo a two game ban, and i think that the suspention of the bombonera should have been more harsh, i enjoyed seeing chivas kick the crap out of boca, argentinian teams are have a bad moment and mexican side are proving they can play and beat the big dogs of south america

14. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city

like they did to roma, they should have givin them 6 games with no spectators

15. SpiderManya

SpiderManya Red Card

May 5, 2005
    technotitán

do you know that argentina has regions and streets called uruguay and we don't have any of that called argentina?
    so wich adore wich? :D