What does your first practice look like?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by swheeler, Jan 18, 2017.

1. swheeler

swheeler New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Greetings,

(somewhat) new coach here. I'm curious to know what more experienced coaches do on their first day of practice; Especially in regard to U11 age recreational soccer. What exciting activity/exercise do you do to get the players acquainted with each other and immediately start building trust/rapport with them? What activities do you do to begin immediate assessment of strengths/weaknesses? What are good questions that I am not asking? : )

Thanks in advance for sharing,
    Scott

2. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I coach a U9 developmental club so some of my activities might be a bit low level for you. First day of practice is for the players to develop a comfort level with you and the rest of their teammates and for you to assess their individual strengths and weaknesses. Biggest thing I like to instill in new players from day 1 is: fast is better than slow & don't be afraid to make mistakes. Second point is communication from player to player at all times. I make a lot of things "game" based instead of drill based. Instead of doing dribbling drills we might do sharks and minnows. I'll start off with no restrictions and then based on my assessment of each player, start adding in things like left foot only, required a "move" to beat the shark. I will also start to introduce pressure cover to the sharks to get them to start talking to each other. Instead of a passing drill, I will do a fluid rondo so that players can start to communicate on offense and again (if their are multiple players in the middle) the defense can practice pressure cover. I'm also a big proponent of 1v1 at the age level we are both dealing with. The top goal is for the players to have fun. Beyond that we are attempting to develop players, not teams, at this age group and I believe 1v1 work is a solid way to develop creativity and individual skill. I don't know what format you play, but we are 7v7 and, although each player starts in a certain spot, I have most players play box/box and focus on positioning to support their teammates rather than a tactical formation.

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With me and I do this with any age and ability.

I want to see what they actually know and not what they say they know.

So we work on skill work to see actually what they can do and what they can't do well. I tak notes because I don't rely on my memory.

So we want to see what kind of ball control they have. I let them push pass in groups of two to see if they can push pass with either foot without the receiving player having to move to the left to control it.

Can they control a ball with the foot, thighs stomach, chest and the head player with another player.

Then we play games a box shap with three players do pass and move control the ball then addd a defender. Eventually this becomes much harder in later trading by adding 2 defenders and not one.

I want to see if they can win the ball on defense not just knock the ball away

I want to see if they can play with three touch. Goal is play with 2 touches.

You can use stations for that each station you do a different skill. Try to put one player in each station that is good at that particular skill. You go from station to station to judge the players in that skill. Take notes.

Then play a game and watch for things like soccer sense, fitness, if they talk to communicate if so is it good communication. If they support each other well.

At the end if they can shoot the ball. Does it fly off their foot or not. Can they make a good cross can they finish a good cross eith off two touches or one touch. Do they actually want to finish a chance or a half chance.

By the end you know a lot about those players and what they can do or can't do. Then you work on those player weakness in later practices. Then you work on a practice plan for the next practice.

4. swheeler

swheeler New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    rustysurf83 & nicklaino,

Thank you so much for the detailed recommendations, they are most appreciated. I did some of this my first practice in the fall, but it wasn't as deliberate as I would like to be this Spring. I especially love the idea of driving home the message of "Don't be afraid to make mistakes." We want players to take chances, and if they don't feel comfortable with this notion, it's not going to happen. As I intend to be more deliberate, I also love the idea about 'writing things down' during the planned early assessment. This will certainly help drive a well-targeted training plan.

Thanks again,
    Scott