What do you do for a living?

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Microwave, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    So what is your job?

I work for National City Bank, I oversee our deposits to the Federal Reserve. Which you may find ironic since I hate the Federal Reserve and think they should be abolished and that would leave me without a job. However I think once I abolish the Fed, they'll keep me on as a janitor.**

So what do you do? I ask because Smiley is always jetsetting across Europe and wondered what the hell he does.

off subject:** A monkey could do my job. It requires no skill or talent. They could bring in a homeless guy off the street and he would learn to do it in a week. I see all these 20 somethings working in my building and they take their work so seriously and they even talk about work as they are leaving the building. They even want to talk to me about banking on lunchbreaks. I don't get it. Who cares about work? I was just as happy when I was a security guard making $10 an hour and living in a small apartment.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am the owner and principal designer for a small architectural lighting consulting firm. Although I am in talks with a firm in Dubai about a complete merger. If that was a case I would assume a senior position and end up moving to the Emirates before the end of the year. Then I get to not worry about cashflow and marketing and earn a ton of cash that's not subject to the big over reaching hand of the IRS.

Which would thrill me to no end.

3. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Wow. On one hand everyone in Dubai is rich. On the other hand wouldn't you miss the U.S.? You won't be able to watch David Beckham in HD as often over there So big guy how much are you pullin in per year? I made more than 50k last year and less than 70. We can't all be like Smiley raking in a seven figure income.

4. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. Although part of the negotiation is for an allotment of round trip tickets per year back to the US. And we aren't planning on making this really permanent. My little girl is 1 in two weeks and I want her to grow up in a society where women are equal. So chances are that we will be back within 5-7 years.

I hate discussing numbers. Let's just say that we will be almost tripling our gross income without any sort of income tax taken out. We will be safely into 6 figures. Great success!

But we will see. It's still in the negotiating phase and seeing that it's Ramadan the process is a little slower.

5. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    I won't say what I do, but I will say that the job I always aspired to no longer exists: reporter for the Weekly World News.

6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently I work as an online editor/project manager for a television promo agency here in LA that handles a lot of syndicated programs. Most of my career has been in writing and producing promos, but that gig is filled up here at the moment.

My other past television lives have involved working on the TV shows for both the APSL and USISL back in the mid-90's and producing promos for Fox Sports Net and Fox Sports World, so I've been involved in a lot of stuff that rarely resembles "work", which is nice.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I work in academic/medical publishing. It's okay, but there's a reason I'm in business school, and it's not because I'm interested in becoming a better academic publisher.

8. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that they almost never allowed us to buy used textbooks in college, one would think that's a pretty lucrative field. Of course, primary and secondary textbooks get replaced once every century, so I imagine it's a push...

9. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    We don't actually publish textbooks. And you're right--other than software, I believe that textbooks have the biggest profit margins of any big product. They're certainly up there.

We publish lots of journals (medical, science, religion, business, etc.) and scholarly works (Milton Friedman, Derrida, that kind of thing), plus a handful of general interest books (Roger Ebert, Mike Royko). The journals bring in most of the money.

10. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Architect in Dallas specializing in churches.

11. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually no, college textbooks are sold in such small quantities that they don't make much. That's why they cost so much

Consider only 30% of the USA has a BS/BA degree. Obviously more than that complete some college, but you take that percent and divide it up between all the areas of study that split that segment into smaller quantities and there are competing books. It's a very small market. Not to say their isn't a big mark-up.

Which brings me too...

I moonlight as an "editor" for K-12 math textbooks on a part time basis from home. Which honestly is really writing test questions, homework sheets, solutions, etc. and very little actual "editing".

My day job is Mechanical Engineer. Which use to be R&D for medical devices/pharma, but now machine design of heavy equipment. Hoping to get back into medical and join Bo at biz school, part time, once I have a salary that will allow me to not have to do the occasional editing.

12. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Since Smiley321 is afraid to admit what he does I decided to do some investigating. I do not have the clearance to tell you what his job is but I'll throw some words out there and you can do what you want with them:

Israeli Defense Force, Jumper Cables, transexual prostitutes, Ronaldo

I shouldn't say anymore than that.

13. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Now I'm curious what I do for a living.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Me? I am just a giglio, and everywhere I go…

15. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You have said too much. I just need to figure out which Ronaldo and I'll have it nailed. :D

16. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kindergarten teacher, obviously...

17. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    So people are really curious as to what Smiley does or does not do for a living based on my description above.

This should clear it up:

John Conner, Sarah Conner, Skynet. Let's just say that Smiley isn't the good guy in this scenario.

18. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    So watch your step, Ted. Us Skynet folks think Guantanamo is a resort for pu$$ies.

19. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I own a communication training and consulting business; we have clients all over the US and in Europe.

We either do everything related to strategic communication/communication training or can put together ad hoc teams than can handle virtually any project. We've trained/consulted with CEOs, PHD scientists and engineers all the way down to line workers in manufacturing.

In addition, I manage a small pile of money and am beginning to do some very serious quant trading in options.

20. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    i forgot to mention that I wrote two articles for money.cnn.com and neither were printed (yet) because of all this financial stuff. I have no idea if they'll ever be put on the site but I was paid $500 for each one so I don't care! I'm gonna use that money to start my own communication and training consultant business to compete with Karl's firm!