What do you call this foul?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by bainsey, Sep 10, 2017.

1. bainsey

bainsey Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Maine
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NFHS 13-2-2c: Indirect kicks are awarded.... if a player fairly charges into an opponent when neither is within playing distance of the ball.

Situation: A1 takes a corner kick. As the ball is on the way, B2 fairly charges A3 in the top of the penalty area, very early and causes A3 to be taken out of the play.

What's the proper one/two-word ruling for this? "Charging" implies a direct (or penalty) kick, right? Interference, maybe? Something else?

2. Cactus837

Cactus837 New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Mar 19, 2017
    Reading the NFHS rule book, charging does not clearly imply a direct kick. Based on my reading of the book "Charging away from the ball" will always be an IFK.

3. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    As far as I can tell, that's based on an old interpretation introduced by the USSF's Advice to Referees.

Back in the day, it was an IFK offence to charge a player away from the ball...

which always went kinda counter to the Laws, which stated that illegal charging was a DFK... and charging a player while not challenging for the ball... is an illegal charge.

4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call it NFHS muddling things up. If it wasn't a foul with the ball there then it's not really one with it not there. Careless, reckless, or excessive force? If not one of those, move on.

5. bainsey

bainsey Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Maine
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A veteran official told me today to go with "improper charge away from the ball" or "improper charge." So, charging is a DFK; improper charge is an IFK.

jarbitro repped this.