What do scouts look for in a player

Discussion in 'Player' started by Roite, Jun 16, 2004.

1. HJKfan

HJKfan New Member

May 28, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Absolute nonsense.

Maybe somewhere in Britain where they run up and down like headless chicken after somebody has kicked the ball as far as he can up the field.

2. sturmgraz32

sturmgraz32 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    St. Louis
    Club:
    SK Sturm Graz
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    speed and size are huge factors, if you've got them you'll be noticed.

3. mikey-wolves

mikey-wolves New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    wolverhampton
    Leadership? leadership doesnt matter, you only need one leader in the team.. dont concentrate to lead your team unless your captain it will only efect your own game!

and someone wandered what level of play coca cola championship was in england, its very very high standard football, players at my team, highest singing this season was 4 million for one player, and he gets payed around 30K a week..

To get scouted, its all about luck of the draw, you could be an exceptionaly good player yet not get picked up as the scout watching you already has a player who is very good in your posistion...

A main thing a scout will look for is your intelligence on the pitch, wasting possesion doesnt get you anywhere! Last season i played against England Boys Under 16.. We lost 2-1, they had 2 centre mids who were at man utd, striker at bolton and spurs, defence was a mixture between crewe, west ham and man utd, and one thing i picked out from this game was they just all played the simple pass, but with great pace and accuracy, they never wasted anything and they would turn our players with their first touch, well before they had even touched the ball, to get to a high level you have to be unbeleivable good! i mean i get told by the away team every game i am the beest player on my team, the fastest and most skillful, i'm not even at a club at the moment, i got rejected... twice :/ to put in how fast you need to be, i run 100m in 11 secs flat!

4. Josh Clifford

Josh Clifford New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Ability & attitude.
    Mikey-Wolves how old are you mate?

5. mikey-wolves

mikey-wolves New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    wolverhampton
    I'm 16 why..?

6. Josh Clifford

Josh Clifford New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Who do you play for? or who was you on trial at to get rejected?

7. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I'm 19 is it too late? I live in the US though..You guys say speed but I know theres gotta be more too it cause I'm the fastest guy on every single pitch...I really would love ot play on a Semi-pro/pro team so..hopefully it works out

8. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I got some flashy boots :)

9. Seven30witwork

Apr 15, 2008
    in the US its probably alot harder to get noticed, there isnt alot of opportunity.... because the way our soccer system works here is so ass-backwards... alot of talent players never get to see the light of day of a professional team and spend their quality years playin in local mens leagues...

but the things ive noticed about players who i grew up playing with/against, that are now in the MLS or professionals in other countries:

- great touch... this is maybe the most important thing.. its a key element to anything you do... you have to be able to control and possess and move the ball no matter where you play on the pitch

- play fast... now this doesnt mean you necessarily have to have alot of speed, but it doesnt hurt.. it just means you have to be skilled enough to play the game, fast.. be able to control the ball and pass it quickly and accurately, one touch quick and accurate, be able to manuever in tight situations, anticipate the next pass, read the game, move off the ball, etc..

- fundamentally strong.. have all the fundamentals.. control, vision, intelligence

- understand the game... knowing how to move on the pitch and where to move and understanding in game situations and reacting to them..

- fitness..... speed and size dont mean much if you cant play a full 90 minutes at full power.... you might not be the fastest or tallest or strongest player out on the pitch, but you better be damn sure no one will be able to out work you and that u get stronger as the game goes on..... because its during those moments late in matches when people get tired that mistakes happen... the most fit players will awlays be able to seperate themselves at those crucial moments..

i'll always remember the fitness training we did while i played in college.. we had this exercise where the coach would play audio of this endurance training thing.. every couple of seconds it would ring and that meant you had to get to a certain line running and get back to the starting line, probably 30 yards away... the longer it went on, the faster the rings would go off.. so you'd start off jogging and by the time you were done, you were straight out sprinting..basically testing your fitness and endurance... if u didnt make it to the line by the ring you would have to drop out.. i think i dropped after like maybe 20-21 rings and was completely exhausted... our coach told us that when david beckham played at united he was topping out at like 40 somethin rings... i was shocked.. it showed me at that moment how amazingly in shape pro players were...

- size and strength... now this is something most of cant control... especially body size.. we can only be so tall and big depending on our genetics... but if you arent blessed with height, work on your physical strength and endurance..the game has changed and the players are getting bigger by the second... having a good body on you that'll be able to handle the physicality of the game will always be a good assest to have..

- determination and heart.... this is something that cant be calculated, how bad you want something or how bad you're willing to prove and push yourself... we all know gifted players who have the heart of a new born baby... such a waste... playing with grit and will and determination and heart will always show on the pitch and catch peoples eyes... and no one can ever knock you for having heart....

- confidence... the mental and emotional aspect of the game is very underrated... this also shows on the pitch... players who get down on themselves and play scared will always be over-looked... no one is a perfect player, so we all make mistakes on the pitch.. its the ones who brush it off and come back the next play and do better who get the most attention..

now these are just a couple things a serious player needs in my opinion... of course those who are blessed with amazing foot and ball skills will always shine, but it cant be the only thing... you need to have a well rounded game both physically and mentally...

10. cristianoronaldo17

cristianoronaldo17 New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    UC 201, nj
    Good advice man...
    Something similar to the bleep test, probably? The Beckham thing could be true but alot of coaches say that so you could get more ambitious and train harder, remember Beckham vomiting on the pitch verse Ecuador in the WC Round of 16, but could be true man, fitness especially these days in pretty much one or the most important aspect of the game

11. Seven30witwork

Apr 15, 2008
    yea it was basically the bleep test, i couldnt remember what the sound was but it was either a bleep or ring or something similar.... yea i remember him vomiting, he may have been sick or somethin... either way at his peak durin his man united days he was definitely one of the fittest players in the premiership... and pretty much all top caliber professional players are in tip-top shape... their endurance is out of this world... thats one thing that can really make or break a career...

12. sturmgraz32

sturmgraz32 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    St. Louis
    Club:
    SK Sturm Graz
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fitness is all good and things, but skill is far more important. lots of players say that they're surprised at how skill oriented their professional training is as opposed to their college careers. I practice every day with a team here, and I'd say that we only do about 15 mins or less a day of running without the ball, and that's usually sprints and footwork drills, not long slow distance.

the most important things you can do to close the gap between you and the pros is to play every day.

13. Habitat

Habitat New Member

Oct 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Not just play but practice everyday. repeat and master the fundamentals.

14. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Yes but unless you are coming off an injury there is no excuse for someone wanting to play professionally who is not fit. It shows a lack of discipline.