What do scouts look for in a player

Discussion in 'Player' started by Roite, Jun 16, 2004.

1. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And both suck.

2. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    And Mexican. Mexicans are shorter than the average American.

3. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    And they suck. :)

4. ADIKeeper

ADIKeeper New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Peter Schmichel wasn't that tall either but he was one hell of a keeper.

5. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    this is true.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Very true. Schmeichel was only 6'4".

7. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    At that age in the states they would turn one of those mids into a back and teach him how to defend. So he can attack when his team loses the balls since he has some attacking skills.

National teams even do this.

8. thedefender23

thedefender23 Member

Oct 5, 2002
    CP
    if u live in the States what are the chances of you getting invited to play for a youth team in England

9. FusionPlayer

FusionPlayer New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Alberta, Canada
    if you live in canada what are the chances you can go anywhere? lol

10. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Talking about a youth team associated with a professical club team like Manchester United?

Play on the United States youth National team would help.

Play in a tournament in that country with a team playing against a professional clubs youth team, and have a very good tournament.

11. e.mo1988

e.mo1988 New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Hey, I am responding to this writing you posted. I am 15 years old, I have played club soccer at the highest level for 5 years, won the state championship two times in nc, and I am the best player on my team. I am 6 feet tall, and built at 155-160 pounds, and I have also played varsity soccer for my high school. I want more than anything to come for a summer and train and play with a team in england, but in no way do I know how to go about doing this. I mean I have all of the skills/size/speed, possibly more than enough to get onto the academy teams, but I don't know how to get noticed by some coach overseas. I was wondering if there was any possible way, since you will be in leeds' academy, to put in the good word, or give my email to a coach and tell him of my response to you, my parents would be more than happy to let me come and stay there for a long period of time.

please reply soon.

12. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably not fast enough.

13. e.mo1988

e.mo1988 New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    if I am not fast enough then i guess you would be saying my team is really slow, because I am one of if not the fastest player on my team. I ran track for school, and won most times in the first heat 200 and placed 2nd-4th in the first heat 100.

14. chicagosoccer

chicagosoccer New Member

Jul 24, 2004

I think someone missed something in the previous post...

15. sockacrazy

sockacrazy New Member

May 6, 2004
    How much a factor is speed in soccer? I think speed is a great thing to have but you dont have to be the fasted guy in the world to play soccer.

-justin

16. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speed is the most important attribute in football.

17. LeslieSantosfan

LeslieSantosfan New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Ever tried letter resume and taped games of yourself? a couple letters from different coaches would help too. Then just send them into wutever club you want.

Or, you play college ball and get really dang good and play on the u-19 USA team.

Or, find a way to self-intro urself to MLS clubs, again with letters and tapes, etc. Then get good there, and find a way to make your way to Euro from MLS.

So many ways... it depends on your luck and how many times u try...

and of cuz:

PRACTICE, and don't ever get injured once before u make it BIG. One more thing: good that you have speed, good that you have skill. But don't forget to strengthen your muscle supports (knees and all that) and your body size. Pro players' best kept secret ain't their skills and all that; its the way they work on their physiques.

18. e.mo1988

e.mo1988 New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    gave you rep points for that. But....I can't go to college for two more years, and I am 15, so the u-19 national team won't be an option for a few years.

And really..how many english clubs would actually look into you if all they have is a couple of tapes and a resume. I mean that wouldn't be a problem, but still, how many clubs would actually look at that?

19. LeslieSantosfan

LeslieSantosfan New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    No one is gonna offer u a spot of their program if you don't do anything. So my last advice to you is to do 3 things: talk to coaches, send the tapes to the football acadamies/youth programs in Euro; and contact MLS. And play the highest division soccer possible.

trust me, the coaches at those club youth programs would look at the tape. It's their job. The higher quality of that taped match.

"Try" is another key word you have to learn in life.

PS. btw who says 15 yrs old can't play in the U-19 team? :confused:

20. e.mo1988

e.mo1988 New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    well it is possible, but I mean we scrimmaged the u-17 national team and lost 2-0 this past season.

If you don't believe me, look up my team 86 Greensboro SC Green

21. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    In my view you should have fast feet in a small space with the ball that is quickness.

Also there are other kinds of speed like first step explosive speed. That is you can go from stop to high speed off the first step very important in our game and not many have it. Tab Ramos was very fast off the first step helped him to beat the first defender at the start of his dribble. He certainly did not have great speed like you think of speed.

22. footballmad234

footballmad234 New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    i play centre midfield and im quick , but you dont have to be be quick with your feet you can think quicker with your brain!!!

23. garethchelsea

garethchelsea Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Lewes, UK
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They look for someone with a good football brain and has good intentions and knows were to pass it etc. also they have to be confident and a range of skils they dont have to be a ronaldinho though

also a nice person and good leaders they arent going to pic the quite social misfit in the team tyhat just sits back and thinks oh i'll just let the others do it

24. peanut91

peanut91 New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    do any scouts go to B or c league games ? sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

25. footballmad234

footballmad234 New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    you will probably have to contact them to come and watch you..
    scouts also look for your personality on the pitch because they want to see if you will fit in well with the other lads at the academ club