What do European and South American Soccer Parents Complain about?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Timbuck, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Timbuck

Timbuck Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Surely these parts of the world are not the soccer Utopia that us Yanks think they are.
    What do parents of kids under the age of 14 complain about on soccer forums, in bars or on the sidelines?

In the US, there is always debate/complaints about:
    Winning over development
    Costs for competitive soccer
    Free play vs structured training
    Travel at young ages
    Skill vs Size
    Late Bloomers/Early Bloomers
    Referees
    Coaches - either too hard or too soft.
    Playing time
    Positions

2. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Here in Australia - we also complain about favouritism:)

3. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tell me more about that. Favoritism in what way? Are coaches allowed to coach their own kids? If so that is a mistake your kids can be on the club you coach. But they should not be allowed to coach their own kid.

But it is a fact that the better players are usually the coaches kids.

I never coached my own kids at higher levels. It can hurt your son as a player. Why, because you might have a tendency as a coach to play your kid where he is needed most with tge team because he is reliable and he can play a lot of field positions even a keeper if needed.

The one dream I had since my son was born. That was 47 years ago incidently.
    Was that one day we would both play on the same team. That dream happened we played on the same adult season for three seasons. He was also my assistant coach on teams I coached. When I was older I was his assistant on a team he coached for two seasons.

We were not always on the same page coaching wise but we still got along. He does not hate me :)

4. StrikerMom

StrikerMom Member

Sep 25, 2014
    "What do parents of kids under the age of 14 complain about on soccer forums, in bars or on the sidelines?"

Timbuck was asking what soccer parents complain about - I was just adding to the long list of what soccer parents complain about :)

The complaints on this forum are identical to the complaints that I read or hear in Australia.

However, this forum has opened my eyes as to what to look for in a coach and team and I am now no longer one of those complaining moms on the sideline.

5. Cubanlix63

Cubanlix63 Member+

AFC Ajax
    Feb 19, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With the exception of the bolded two in England you hear all the same complaints.

6. JFA44

JFA44 New Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I would have to imagine $$$. I think south america has it right as far as developing talent.

7. Seoul Man

Seoul Man Member

Sep 17, 2001
    World Wide Web
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    In keeping with the spirit of the original poster, if you had a choice (meaning money, job, etc. were not factors) where would you choose to raise your kid for the best soccer development?

I've heard a lot of good things about the German youth system, and also experienced it first hand last summer when I sent my kid to a camp there for 4 weeks. The camp itself was a bit of a disappointment, but I was impressed with the German philosophy and approach to youth development.

8. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Argentina/Uruguay are awesome at player development; per capita I would say the best. I don't know about Uruguay but Argentina is a little messed up right now so I would probably choose Spain as my backup. At half the population of Germany the talent they produce is immense.