What do boys wear under their uniform

Discussion in 'Coach' started by BigGuy, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Question was asked on another site.

Here is his post

"I am a parent-coach (USSF E cert.) for what could be called advanced recreational 14U and 12U boys. I read this forum a lot and I am looking for advice. Today one of my 13 y.o. players caught a well-struck shot in the family jewels (which put him on the ground for several minutes). This raised two questions. First – What is the standard first aid for this injury? (When I was a kid we just rolled around until the pain went away). Second – what protection do (or should) youth boy soccer players wear? I had my son wear a cup when he played, but I suspect that is not what most players do. Thanks in advance for your feedback."

2. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a U9 keeper that wore a cup. He was incredibly brave, so the little guy probably needed it. He always came out flying at the shooter. Understandably, Dad was worried about his son.

But, I always chuckle when I hear about people having their kids wear a cup. It's not something that I associate with playing soccer.

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    So people might ask what did you wear as a player and what should a young player wear?

Also they might ask is there any way to prevent getting hit or at least cut down on the chances of getting hit?

Also they might ask what to do as a coach after being hit for the player?

4. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    It's not really common to wear a cup in soccer.

To avoid getting hit, enforce the point to the kids that they shouldn't look away when a ball is kicked. Make sure they can still see where the ball is (in case they turn there head) that way they know if they need to turn there body a certain direction in order to avoid getting hit in that painful area. Usually professionals in the free kick wall use there hands to protect that area in case the ball is headed in that direction

5. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Here is my original post I made on the other soccer site that started the topic/

Good question.

Most real players just wear a jock with no cup.

However, it has been a while since I have coach kids. A lot of parents of kids put them in hard cups like they wear for baseball and pointy.

There was a jock for kids for soccer with a sponge cup pad in it. I don't know whether they still make that or not. But if so buy that.

Every player get's hit down there more then once in their playing career. But it is rare because we are quick and most of the time can turn as the ball is comming in hard even at fairly close range. Plus you have to see the ball comming.

We are not talking about being in the wall now. Then we can use a hand for protection before the shot is taken.

Your distance from the ball is a key get close enough so you can block it with your foot when you see their kicking motion. Far away you have a longer look to block it without using your groin. In between distance fairly close but not close enough to block it with your foot and you take your eye off the ball, and that is when you get hit.

Normally make light of it like you do when your young kids get a bobo. Tell them they make a great play blocking the shot..

They really get hit hard substitute and have ice wrapped in something they can hold on that area. Or a cold pack would do.

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I use to play in a mens league, after seeing about 1 guy/game get taken down in this manner, then doing so myself, I started wearing a cup, never noticed it once I started running and it saved me a couple of times!

My two high school boys play now and nobody wears em, stupid kids :rolleyes:

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Wear the hardware when in goal.

Pull it out when I'm in the field.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to forward this thread to Gonzalo Martinez.

9. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coed league?:D

10. asoccergoalkeeper

asoccergoalkeeper New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    As a goalkeeper I catch one in the old twig and berries at least once a year. I don’t were a cup because I feel that it is something that gets in the way more than it gets used. Not saying that is a good reason, I wear my seat belt everyday, but have very rarely needed it. So I guess it is a personal decision. What most players wear are compression shorts. They are light weight and keeps everything tight and compact. They also offer some protection when sliding.

Also on first aid, I don’t know how much this really works but my trainers always would have use sit with our legs stretched out in front and open. As we sit there the trainer would go behind us and lift us off the ground from under our armpits. Then he would bounce us up and down without us hitting the ground with our bottoms. It might have just been a mentally thing, but it seemed to help a little bit.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

11. Lovefutball

Lovefutball Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Getting hit down south doesn't happen quite often...or at least not often enough to need a cup. If they are in a wall, let them know its okay to cover up with their hands

12. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a keeper i never wear one, it stays in my hockey bag all year. I've never been hit there coming out at an attacker

13. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a keeper but I've never worn a cup because I'm always afraid it will do more harm than good when I dive forward on a loose ball or something like that. Like any keeper, I get hit in the jewels every so often, but less than you might think. As long as you're good about keeping your hands in front, this should minimize the number of such accidents.

14. Yid_Army99

Yid_Army99 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    just compression shorts.

15. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont see how anyone could play with a cup. There's way too much movement and running for it to be comfortable.

16. goyoureddevils

Dec 17, 2002
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I had a high school freshman this summer in camp express his desire to play goalie in our scrimmage games. When I asked him if he was going to try out for keeper when high school tryouts began, his reply was:

"Yeah, I guess I should be pretty good, 'cause I'm not afraid to get kicked in the nuts or anything."

I guess that's it, you just have to "Not be afraid to get kicked in the nuts"!

:)

17. breakinankles

breakinankles New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I wore a cup from age 11 all the way through High School. I know it came in handy when people would try to get in a cheap shot on a corner kick. Some times it wasn't totally about the protection, but I never worried about getting hit and I was freed up to go all out.
    I played forward, so restriction of movement was never a problem.

18. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    No cup is needed. I coach high school boys, and when they get hit I just tell them to get into a catcher's squat. Gravity is a guy's best friend when hit there.

19. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I remember a cold winters night game, where I got hit in the family jewels at least 5x, and from that point on, I have always worn a cup. It is just part of your gear, period!!!

20. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a keeper for 30 years and have never been kicked in the sack. Taken a few balls there, but that happens more when playing field... as a keeper, I can protect myself with my hands. :)

A soccer ball is large enough that if it hits the groin, it will hurt, but isn't as likely to cause permanent damage like, say, a baseball. I don't think a cup is necessary; just a jock or briefs. Lots of guys play wearing boxers, and occasionally a pic surfaces of a guy in a professional match with his nads hanging out. :eek:

21. Emmet Kipengwe

Aug 15, 2004
    Maryland
    I played Rugby for 5+ years and never wore a cup. There's too much running involved with Rugby and Soccer to make having the extra gear worth it. Don't they chafe around the groinal area?
    Maybe as a keeper, but couldn't see it's use on a field player.

22. ftrnotlvr

ftrnotlvr New Member

Nov 4, 2010
    As for the second question, with all the running in soccer, a cup tends to be way too uncomfortable. I make an exception for goalies, particularly for my indoor players. I think it gives some of them added confidence and I always encourage them to wear one, usually in front of the other players. This hopefully takes away the stigma of being labelled the team wuss since the coach requested it. Kids being kids, they don't always listen, but if you have a followup discussion with them while they are writhing on the ground in pain after taking a shot to the bad spot, they tend to be better listeners.

As for the first question about treatment, I can share my experience from wrestling and karate. Someone already mentioned the procedure where the trainer has the athlete sitting on the ground with legs extended, then lifting him up a few inches and dropping him down. This was the preferred technique of our wrestling coach and we called them butt-drops. I think its main effect may have been to take our mind off the pain and to let the coach feel like he was earning his money. Some other wrestling coaches also put the wrestler on their back and then repeatedly bent their knees into their chest. In karate, I saw two other approaches utilized primarily by asian sensei's. One was to get the injured student to their feet as soon as possible to walk it off, but once on their feet he had them repeatedly pivot up on their toes and then drop down on their heels with their legs rigid. If the student was on his knees in the fetal position on the ground, he would pound his fist on the lower back. All these techniques are aimed at relieving the spasms of the cremastic muscles which are trying desperately to move the testicles out of harms way. These spasms can travel way up into the abdomen and cause nausea and difficulty breathing. While I don't think the spasms travel that high, I recall one kid saying "I thought I'd swallowed them" after taking an upward kick to his cup.

As a coach, the important thing to remember is that the discomfort from travelling cremastic spasms should subside within about five, no more than ten minutes. If the player is exhibiting pain for much longer, he may have experienced bruising or other injury to a testicle, and you might want to relieve the pain with a cold pack and check for swelling/discoloration. If those are observed, immediate medical attention should be sought.

Those are some of the procedures I am familiar with. I am sure there are others.

23. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why does this thread keep coming back?

I'm just going to lock it. This has nothing to do with coaching.