What can we expect to see in London 2012?

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Alberto, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will these be like Atlanta, an Olympic Games on a budget or will it be more like Beijing, Sydney or Greece? Curious given there has not been much of a focus reporting on the venues in the media.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't think the Olympics are ever on a budget...

What London has done with many of the venues is that they are designed for re-use, either in their entirety or elements of it. Many of the venues can be completely deconstructed. I don't think that has made them any cheaper. Just more sustainable.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but are they of the same scale and grandeur of the venues for Beijing? The Birds Nest Stadium was quite an amazing structure. The design of the Beijing Olympics aquatic center cube was fantastic.

In recent history Sydney 2000, Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 had some fantastic venues. Atlanta 1996 had modest venues that were converted over to other sports.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The olympic stadium in London is pretty hideous, from what I've seen of it. Other than that it's a mixed package, some nice venues some ugly. They did get renowned architects in.

5. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Agreed, the main stadium is just bland - don't think the birds nest is going to be challenged for a while.

On the other hand the velodrome and aquatic centre buildings are pretty cool

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    The velodrome has won a couple of design awards even, hasn't it?

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an architect and was not even aware that there any design awards given any of the Olympic venues. That's is amazing and in my eyes represents a total fail on the part of the Olympic organizing committee for London. Why on God's green earth would you not make known that some of your venues received awards for design.

8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other Olympic hosts have had venues that were converted to other sports. Particularly white elephant racing.

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly that is the case in Beijing and Athens.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    I have to say London did a spectacular job with the opening ceremonies.

[​IMG]

11. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Let's all praise the U.S. hype machine for shoving the male swimmers and both gym teams down our throats. Now we know the truth...

BUST!!! :p