What can a 15 year old do to support the club?

Discussion in 'Columbus Supporters Clubs' started by soccerislife7, Oct 10, 2008.

1. soccerislife7

soccerislife7 New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I case you guys haven't figured out yet (I'd be suprised you haven't), I'm not quite 18 (3/29/93). My folks don't really care for the game, let alone our Massive, and I don't have to kind of money to go to games all the time.

I was wondering, from your perspective, how do you think I should support the club? I read about what some of you guys do, and I'm jealous. I love the game, especally The Crew, but I have trouble finding ways to help the club because I'm not an adult.

Any suggestions?

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make banners.

3. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Find a friend with a car for transportation and get a job for the cash. That's how I used to get to hockey games when I was your age.

It's only like $13 to sit in the supporters section with a student ID. That's only like 2-3 hours @ minimum wage.

4. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sell drugs.

5. bobbybhoy1

bobbybhoy1 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    in a State of Grace
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Studddypimpin

6. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    53rd and 3rd

7. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christmas and birthdays my friend, ask for a Jersey and/or a Ticket package for either x-mas or birthday presents and you're in. Free jersey or Tickets are always the first step. Also I agree with jericho find a buddy to go to games with, it's always better when they can drive to.

8. Indy footballer

Indy footballer New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay then....

I go St. Louis Blues games. There were a group of kids there that worked all summer cutting lawns and doing odd jobs. They purchased the cheapest season ticket package that they could buy after saving money all summer long and had thier moms take turns driving them to and from the game. Note: the cheapest NHL package is still more expensive than the middle of the road MLS package.

You could also start a youth supporters group. I would think that the Crew would even support something along those lines and provide sectional seating and group discounts. You could make it your own; name, banners, t-shirts, create some new chants that I'm sure could or would be adopted by the Nordecke if they are quality. You could possibly ask one of the adult group heads to be a sponsor to guide you in the right direction. You could solicite businesses or schools to be financial sponsors for some of the materials that you would need to get your group going. When you guys get older, you pass the torch to the next group of youth supporters and join the Union, HSH, etc.

Just some ideas.

9. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely agree with Indy Footballer. I started a youth supporters club a few years ago called Legion '04 (hence my name). We never became very big, but we always had a few people come to matches. Starting a youth wing to the Nordecke would be absolutely fantastic. The situation right now would be ideal for you to be successful in pursuing something like this. I finally believe that the Front Office understands the mentality of the supporters culture and what our needs are. Also, all of the supporters clubs are on the same page which sets you up perfectly.

If you should pursue something like that, good luck!!!

10. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will sound like I'm making a joke, but I'm not, really.

I'd make a sign that says: "I Love the crew but I don't have the money for a ticket. Can you help?" and stand on the curb in front of the ticket windows.

I'd bet someone will hand you a ticket inside of two minutes.

And the youth supporters thing is a good idea too. I'm sure Mike, Kevin or whomever would be happy to give you some direction and the mindless dweebs in the FO, soulless bastards that they are, even they would get the value.

11. osubowler

osubowler Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know quiet a few high schoolers that come out to every game. I'm pretty sure that they too would be down for getting something like a youth supporters group going. I will talk to a couple of them and see what their feelings on it is. This would be a great thing to start and keep going.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yute Crew, Young Bucks, Ohio Boys, some kind of name?

13. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to play off of Boca a bit

Crew Union Juniors, CSU Juniors, etc.

We'd be willing to help however we can.

14. soccerislife7

soccerislife7 New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea. It 'll be tough, and I'm not sure if it will work, the few people I know that like soccer don't really like The Massive. But it dosen't hurt to try.

I would also like to specify that money isn't my biggest issue. Not that I'm growing it, but transportation is a bigger problem. I actually think I have enough for a cheap season ticket. But just one, not one for an adult to take me.

I'll work on this youth thing. No promices.

Thoma Gol, I'll think of some banner ideas. I've booked a place to the United Game, it might work out.

Thanks to everyone for help.

15. soccerislife7

soccerislife7 New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this idea. It 'll be tough, and I'm not sure if it will work, the few people I know that like soccer don't really like The Massive. But it dosen't hurt to try.

I would also like to specify that money isn't my biggest issue. Not that I'm growing it, but transportation is a bigger problem. I actually think I have enough for a cheap season ticket. But just one, not one for an adult to take me.

I'll work on this youth thing. No promices.

Thoma Gol, I'll think of some banner ideas. I've booked a place to the United Game, it might work out.

Thanks to everyone for help.

16. Indy footballer

Indy footballer New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recruit a youth member who is 16 and put some extra in for gas money outside the trip to and from the stadium ;).

--Seriously, it appears to me that guys like HHM, Kevin, etc. are very good contacts for this sort of thing, you should seek them out and have some discussion about it. I'm not speaking for them and don't know what thier schedules are like but I'm sure they would be willing to talk and give you some points in the right direction.

17. bamorrow

bamorrow New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Another possiblity -- help with the KICKS FOR KIDS program (part of the Crew's charities). Being a supporter with them and helping with some of the things they do might help.

18. Hammer1CrewFan

Hammer1CrewFan New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    CW

I'm guessing Junior Hooligans would not be something the parents would buy into.

Also, try getting a job in one of the support positions at Crew Stadium. Ticket taker, seat usher, ambassador (showing lost fans were to find their seats), stuff like that. Having a job at the stadium would not cost you a season ticket package and I believe you do get paid for your time. You might not get to watch every second of the matches depending on the job you get, but you will be in the house. Your only catch is going to be transportation and their probably are other workers that live nearby that could give you a lift in exchange for gas money.