What ball pressure gauge do you use?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Ghastly Officiating, Dec 30, 2017.

1. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This pump is excellent. Gauge is accurate and dual action pump works quick.

cinepro repped this.
  2. JeffG

JeffG Member

Mar 9, 2005
    MN, USA
    It may be quick, but the recommended pressures (7-9 psi) on the gauge are anything but accurate for soccer! (OK, barely accurate, if you consider the 8.5-9 psi overlap to be acceptable)

3. Cactus837

Cactus837 New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Mar 19, 2017
    I was thinking about this thread when I threw my pump w/gage in my bag for a club tournament this weekend.

For most of the games, teams were using balls that the home team provided, but in the ref tent there were a couple of bags of official tournament balls. My third game was a forfeit so I was hanging out in the ref tent when a coach came by to complain. He felt as if the official tournament ball they were using for their game was over-inflated. He said it didn't sound right when kicked and all his players were getting hurt. Apparently the ref on the field didn't really want to deal with the issue so he was escalating his complaint.

There was some back and forth about how a ball should "feel". I remembered I had the gauge in my bag so I pulled it out and checked privately. 20+ PSI. Yikes. I simply told the coach, that yes, the ball had a little too much air and we would correct it. I went through all the tourney balls in the bag. They ranged from 15 to 22 PSI. I dropped them all to 9.

I guess I'll keep the pump/gauge in my bag after all.

4. cinepro

cinepro Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I don't know what they do in pro games, but I've been using the UA pump for years for adult recreational and competitive youth matches, and anything above the "recommended" range on the pump would make the ball as hard as a rock. It would break your foot (or head).

5. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I've used the Under Armour pump and have noticed over time the gauge is off by about 2 psi. I think it rattled too much in my bag and knocked the needle down. But I use my stupid hand guage and just use the UA pump for pumping the ball up and getting an idea of where the balls are at.

6. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Lol not to be too persnickety but how does one know what gauge is more accurate than another?

7. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    the UA would start at 2 instead of 0.

8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Maybe there was a high pressure system that day :eek::ROFLMAO:

9. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok Tom Brady..

When in doubt, use your hands and kick it around a bit. Assuming one has actually played the game enough to know what the pressure should be at.

10. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    No I know - I was just musing about the idea of assuming one $10 gauge is more accurate than another $10 gauge.

11. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    “These go to 11” - Nigel Tufnel