What ball pressure gauge do you use?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Ghastly Officiating, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Title says it all. I would like to move past the squeeze test for high level games and I’m looking to get a new pressure gauge and I wanted to see what everyone recommends.

2. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    doesn't really matter. I bought a small round one that has a release valve so I can drop pressure to what I want. Bag packed for the winter so no idea what brand it is.

3. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Funny you posted this today... I was just thinking about how I carry a gauge but no pump- it’s the home team’s job, right? Except it never gets done. I did a npsl 4O last summer and pretty much the whole ball bag was low. Center was like “well, fill them up!” What a pain- borrowed pump from center. Pump pump pump. Check. Pump pump pump. Check. repeat x 5. Ugh.

So I just ordered this pump gauge combo. No idea how well it works but at least the gauge is scaled for balls and not for bike tires,

https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour...652947&sr=8-2&keywords=under+armour+ball+pump

GoDawgsGo and Cactus837 repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My two hands.

Sport Billy and IASocFan repped this.
  5. Cactus837

Cactus837 New Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Mar 19, 2017
  6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just use the suffocating pressure of life to measure it.

Doug the Ref and seattlebeach repped this.
  7. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have the one from OSI, but I'm not sure about it. The DA manual says 13 psi but after trying it on two different balls they were completely pumped up at around 7-8 psi. If I tried to get them to 13 they would have burst. Is there a problem with it?

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Speaking of pressure, I see the LOTG call for the ball to be "of a pressure equal to 0.6–1.1 atmosphere (600–1,100g/cm2) at sea level (8.5 lbs/sq in–15.6 lbs/sq in)." What does the "at sea level" add to that specification? If a ball is pumped up to 15psi at sea level and then transported to, say, Denver or Estadio Azteca for play, what will its pressure then be? Kinda hard, eh? Or not? This is too close to physics for me to figure out.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  9. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Technically, these numbers would result in a partial vacuum if the ball were a solid sphere! It really should say these numbers "above atmospheric pressure." There are equations and graphs to figure out the pressure differences at various altitudes.

PH

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Many less expensive soccer balls can't handle as much pressure inside. I'm surprised that at a DA event there would be inadequate soccer balls, but I've never been involved with them. Trying to apply the DA pressure standards in a rec game is likely to be unrealistic.

11. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    Bubba you of course are correct. If you inflate a ball to a certain pressure at sea level, and then take it to Azteca, it will be overinflated. Ever buy chips at a ski resort?

Can think of pressure as atoms buzzing about and bouncing off the wall of the ball. When the ball is soft, there are just as many atoms hitting the outside of the ball as the inside. Move that ball into altitude, and there are fewer hits on the outside, and just as many on the inside, and the pressure inside the ball goes up. Inflate the ball and there are more hits on the inside than outside, and pressure goes up.

So does a ball inflated to 10 psi in azteca feel as bouncy as a ball inflated to 10 psi at sea level? It does, because what the gauge is the relative amount of force the molecules inside the ball are exerting vs the molecules outside. It didn’t require as many molecules as at sea level, so the inflated ball will have less mass, but the compressibility of the ball will be the same.

“1 atm at sea level” is just the unit of pressure, much like bar and psi. They should have said “1 standard atmosphere.”

Thezzaruz and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  12. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    And the NFHS Rules call for "the manufacturer's recommended pressure."

Doug the Ref and frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Do what the manufacturers of the balls say. The balls that you are supposed to use for DA are Nike match level balls which are built to be at like 12-15 psi. A lot of times I'll do DA one weekend and during the week I'll be doing college which use the NCAA balls which are usually at 10-12 psi.
    You are absolutely correct about inexpensive practice balls not handling the same pressure as the DA Nike ones. However, the DA events I've been to you have 4 game balls that US soccer provides and they have dedicated people that go and fetch the balls so... I believe they have adequate balls for their events. Now do all the clubs in DA have the game balls. I would say most of them do (since they get a stipend from US Soccer). however, some lower odd-ball clubs lose them throughout the season and fail to replace them. But the DA, of course, requires they have 3 certified match balls for kick-off.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  14. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ones I tested weren’t DA ones they were just some random adidas balls from a local soccer store. Thanks for the help guys!

frankieboylampard repped this.
  15. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Actually it wasn't physics that did you in, it was reading comprehension. The "sea level" bit refers to the "atmosphere" measurement, not to the "psi" one. And as @chwmy said, the psi measurement works just as well at high as at low altitudes, no physics required.

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #16 Bubba Atlanta, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    It did occur to me after I posted that perhaps it should have been written: "0.6–1.1 atmosphere at sea level (600–1,100g/cm2)" rather than "0.6–1.1 atmosphere (600–1,100g/cm2) at sea level." That would have made sense. I think. Yes?

17. wh1s+1eR

wh1s+1eR Member

Apr 23, 2017
    [​IMG]

all work good for measure pressure.
    Take plenty of needle-pin ( i break or lost many each season)

One buddy use rubber adapter hose; this is another variable. To me, less variable better. To try when cold rain, it is pain.

Other buddy also brought digital programming gauge, not look same as red above, something craftsman. This very accurate, and see number when artificial light and raining. But another variable, need proper power in battery.

For me, the stick and dial gauge simple machines, work better. My dial gauge have two display, atmosphere and psi, and release valve. I know when needle at 12 oclock, then pressure in ball good, if at 10, low, at 2, on high side. Release valve to bring to 12 and life is good. We also measure before start, not after kick-off, so if weather change, tough; only one time it became hard when a low pressure system appear suddenly above our heads, two player got headache.

To people who ask physics question. It is thermodynamics situation, not physics. The ball at 13 psi (~0.8 atm) at sea level will take to high mountain city, then pressure inside become 16.5. This okay as competition ball test-range. Temperature make more effect than alti. If mountain city same warm as sea level, ball go boom. { pV=nRT is formula; you find information online any search }

18. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Thanks. And here's me thinking thermodynamics was physics. :oops:

IASocFan and Thezzaruz repped this.
  19. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Tbh I'm not well enough versed in English grammar to really answer that. I think the original (blue) text is grammatically correct but I'd agree that your suggestion (red) is more intuitive. :thumbsup:

20. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all relative.

Dayton Ref and IASocFan repped this.
  21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Don't worry, you are correct, thermodynamics is a branch of physics, as well as of chemistry and certain fields of engineering.

PH

22. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Sure thing, Einstein. :)

tomek75 repped this.
  23. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey a thread on here where my meteorology degree could be useful!

Doug the Ref repped this.
  24. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    What does a study of meteors have to do with air pressure in soccer balls?

me116 repped this.
  25. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Everything is physics. Chemistry and engineering are just applied physics.

[​IMG]

GoDawgsGo, roby and tomek75 repped this.