What are your thoughts on headgear. Is it at all effective?

Discussion in 'High School' started by CoachF, Apr 24, 2018.

1. CoachF

CoachF New Member

Aug 31, 2017
    This season my girl's high school team has suffered 6 concussions. I know we are supposed to condition our athletes, that's part of the problem. A lot of them have not been to practice consistently this year and I don't have many backups. Does anyone has experience with headgear at the high school/club 18U that the headgear has made any difference. Administration asked me about. I was wondering if I should order some or would that just be a waste of money. Please let me know what your experiences are.

Thanks

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    DS got some minor concussions at younger ages (U10/U11). We got him a Full 90. He's worn it ever since (now in 8th grade, played some JV, might make V next fall). He's worn it so much, we've had to replace it.

He has not had a concussion since he started wearing the Full 90. BUT, I do not know and will not say the lack of concussions is because of the headgear. One of the V players last year wore one also. I do not know his story.

There will be people who say headgear isn't going to prevent a concussion. I don't totally disagree. I do think it's possible to still get concussions with headgear, but wearing headgear might prevent some.

You make the comment about a lack of conditioning, I don't know that you can condition against concussions.

IMO, you tell the kids/parents that headgear is available (online as well as in sporting goods stores). Headgear MIGHT help prevent concussions. Then leave it up to the kids/parents. If they want one, they can get one.