What are you?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Father Ted, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's gauge the political leanings of posters on this board. You either lean left or lean right. No moderates.

2. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Karl Keller will be devastated.

3. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    i would have been happier with a strongly left/slightly left/slighty right/strongly right breakdown, but i voted.

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm right wing in some issues but left in others.
    And besides this depends on your particular country.
    Even a right-winger here could easily be construed as leftist over yonder.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The political language of left and right grew directly out of the experience of the French revolutionary assemblies.

So in keeping with the current spirit of disavowing all things French I will simply say that what I am is a man with opinions.

6. I Believe that the massive voting democracy only works in small societies were everyone is equal educated and capable. I am on the left or the right?

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    yep.

i am not a 'right' or 'left' but more of a 'pick your issues' kinda person.

8. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    i voted (left)

but i don't really post here, but i'd rather not hear about how these boards are full of 'lefto pinko commies' from anyone because i think there are a multitude of different sides and opinions from my observations of the board, and although there might be leanings to the left or right on issues, i think it's a pretty even distribution of opinions

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'm just a midfielder, defense.

10. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Yeah! Woo-hoo! At last! Anarchy now! You're all a bunch of ass-************ing ************tards who enjoy ass-************ing and ************ing each other's asses! Yee-haw!

Oh. Never mind.

11. Paul Schmidt

Paul Schmidt Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Portland, Oregon!
    When I get a more complete platform for being a "Flaming Moderate," you'll be seeing that term all over the place. Thing is, a lot of the "style" wouldn't look much different than Mr. Loney's latest diatribe, just more centered.

I may never get there, but I had to state the goal at some point.

BTW, yes, that's my way of saying "You're Number 1" to this concept.

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a passionate New Labour, center Democrat moderate. Everyone else is a nutjob.

13. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I write and throw right-handed, but have ambidextrous tendencies when it comes to most everything else.

14. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "left" and right"; "conservative" and "liberal"...

the left/right continuum is poli sci 101 horsemanure that facilitates mass-media level political discussion, which is to say no real discussion at all. The above fail to accurately describe our world, in any sense; thus, they should, well not be discarded, but rather placed in a language museum or some such...

As for me, I'm accepting, both of the universe unfolding as it should and of our role in forging that reality.

Contradiction? Only if you've limited your mind to Western notions of "logic" instead of incorporating that system into a more expansive POV...

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Father, I hang to the left if that helps any...

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 posts. That took some time.

17. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you want to decide that I'm a liberal? Ask me about handgun controls.

Do you want to decide that I'm a conservative? Ask me about political correctness and reverse discrimination.

Do you want to decide that I'm a tree-hugging internationalist? Ask me about Kyoto.

Do you want to decide that I'm an unstable, loose cannon, unilateralist cowboy? Ask me about Iraq.

Do you want to decide that I'm apolitical? Ask me how I feel about people who'se favorite political verb is "smash" - all the way from Al Sharpton to Jerry Falwell, not excluding the Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

For me to pound a square peg into a round hole and pretend that I "lean left" or "lean right" would be to distort reality far more than to shed light on it.

18. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA
    What he said.

19. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I would tend to think that on an internet message board for soccer, you would predominantly find a tendency towards the left (I'm not gonna get worked up about the semantics of that term), for the following reasons:

1. Soccer is not a traditional American sport, therefore by choosing to play and follow soccer, one can generalize that you are not completed dominated by traditional ideas.

2. A high proportion of soccer fans in the U.S. are first-generation Americans or born outside the U.S., thereby also resulting in non-traditional viewpoints.

3. Although the Internet is definitely 'democratizing', a high proportion of Internet users still tend to be highly educated, another factor that tends to result in having liberal viewpoints.

4. The Internet is also still predominated by a younger audience, another demographic that tends to lean left.

That's my theory on the leftward tendency of the BigSoccer community.

20. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Re: Re: What are you?

Nah, no longer even troubled by ad hominen attacks.

How do you think Galbraith would vote??

21. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's not fair, considering most people are probably closer to moderate than anyhthing else.

Me? Slightly left of center.

22. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Let's see:

--I support a woman's right to choose.

--I think the government should fund/support effective charitable organizations, even if they are religiously based.

--I support the North American Free Trade Agreement, and free trade structures in general.

--I beleive the Nazis had a right to march in Skokie.

--I think anti-sodomy laws are unconstitutional.

--I support our military intervention in Iraq, though I believe it is a high risk strategy.

--I support the University of Michigan's position on admission standards, and in general sensible efforts at affirmative action by reasonable institutional caretakers.

--I think single insurer socialized medicine is a disaster.

--I believe in environmental protection laws.

--I believe that there are ways to develop natural resources for economic benefit consistent with stringent environmental protection laws.

--I think we should eliminate the capital gains tax, and support the Bush tax cut plan.

--I thought the impeachment of President Clinton was a complete waste of time, money, television air time, and newsprint -- and served no useful political, cultural, or moral purpose.

--I thought the PROCESS of the impeachment of President Clinton reflected the astounding far-sightedness and brilliance of the founders, and the extraordinary effectiveness and adaptability of the constitution they wrote.

--I think Bill Clinton's major historical legacy will be as the president who was revealed as having been fellated in the Oval Office.

--I believe strongly that the system of free market capitalism, and the transparent rule of law, is the greatest, most powerful economic system the world has ever seen, and will EVER see -- and that every nation in the world would be wise to embrace it.

--I believe the United States, despite its flaws, is now and likely will continue to be, the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

Left leaning?? Right leaning?? You decide

23. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Why, because we get gems such as, "Communism isn't inherently evil."

24. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Sounds like a good campaign slogan.

25. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It isn't.

Totalitarianism is. Fascism is. Nazism is.

But there's nothing evil about "From each according to his ability to each according to his need." It's possible to be a pacifist and a communist, for example.