What are you studying (major)? What is your career plan?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by rkim291968, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a History major and a business minor at CU.

If everything goes according to schedule I'll be out of here next May and then I'm planning on moving up to Seattle, WA. My dad is lookin to hook me up with a job there but I'm also gonna try to get a job at Nintendo through another source I have.

Hopefully get my MBA in a couple years from UW.

And stuff.

2. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    What type of job at Nintendo?

3. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Marketing! :)

My dream is to work for a major videogame company running/coordinating advertising and product promotion campaigns. I initially wanted to do game design, but after taking C++ in high school I realized that it wasn't for me...so I decided on this instead. :)

4. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Haha. I majored in comp sci and programmed in C for a living. Yeah, it's not for everyone. I moved on to manage (many engineers have short stint before moving on to other areas including management).

I was at UC Berkeley in early 80's when a video game maker came to interview graduating comp sci students. I think like 50 students signed up for an interview for 2 SW engineer positions.

A famous movie making company (Gorge Lucas? My memory fails me here) came also with one job. I think about 200 students (including non comp sci students) applied for that position.

Anyway, good luck.

5. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Meteorology.

and who knows what the hell I'll do after school

:D

6. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't tell me your going to be one of those scum that tell me its going to be sunny and to have my picnic and then it DOWNPOURS ALL DAY LONG!! haha ;)

7. StrikerCW

StrikerCW Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Perth, WA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently in Chemical Engineering, maybe minor in Economics.

Hope to own a brewery one day. :)

8. GoranPejic

GoranPejic New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    i'm a Criminal Justice/Criminology major as well.(Arizona State University) Always thought about double majoring in socilogy since many of the classes are the same for both majors. Would like to work for the Dept. of State or any foreign service branch of the US govt.

9. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice, I've changed my major since that post though :p

I'm doing Social Work now, hopefully I will work with juveniles or abused women

10. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Computer Science... no clue what I'm going to do afterwards though. I'm only a junior though, so I still have 2 years (at least) to figure it out I suppose.

11. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    There are plenty of choices I am sure.

CS - class of '84.

12. DVN_

DVN_ New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA
    computer science? There's tons of jobs available for that, just got to look around. International Relations anyone?

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm about to start work on my master's in Library & Information Science. Right now, I want to get into one of three areas that deals with, but that could very well change once I get some experience in the courses and with internships:

• Academic librarian (working at a university library)
    • Archivist
    • Collection development at a university library

14. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    History and Economics at Washington and Lee. Currently starting the second year of a JD/MBA at UVA. The current plan is to work corporate international at a major law firm with an eye towards getting a serious stint working abroad but I am getting hosed in the first set of job interviews- its odd I've gotten few onterviews but the ones I have gotten are mostly firms that are prestigious ones.

15. rivers

rivers New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Canada
    I hope to be a professor, starting my PhD in a couple weeks.

A career in football just didn't work out.

16. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am transferring to the University of Florida in January as a history major. I really don't take my history classes seriously, but listening to the lectures is interesting. I 100% do not plan on working in any field related to history, but one of my two majors should be fun right? However, there is still a chance that I drop it all together and just take history classes as my electives.

I am most definitely doing a second major, but boy do I have a lot of options that I am considering. My uncle works for a multi-billion dollar company in Toronto (also have locations in Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean I think, idk where else) and another uncle works for an accounting firm (I think) so I am considering majoring in Business Admin, Intl Business, or Accounting (why did I capitalize those :confused:?).

Mathematics has always been my best subject and something that comes naturally, so I am considering doing that, but I would have to look into the career options.

After reading some books on quantum physics books and seeing "What the #%^& do we know," theoretical phsyics looks really, really, really cool. I will have take a phsyics and chem class in Spring to see how good (or bad) I am.

A few less likely options are Sociology, Astronomy (gotta research it more, but heard it earns a lot of money and sounds interesting), and Philosophy. The former and the latter are subjects that I am interested in discussing, but I am not so sure I would enjoy it, especially since I heard in Philosophy you have to read 100s of pages a week and I do not see how I could get that done considering how dry many of the books are. If anyone can give me an idea of what an astronomist does besides look through a telescope, let me know please.

17. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Professor of what?

18. rivers

rivers New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Canada
    Modern British and European History.

19. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finance major at Auburn University. It's my senior year, and I'm not looking forward to graduating. Maybe I'll go for another degree after I'm done with this one. :)

20. Zivheads

Zivheads New Member

Dec 13, 2003
    Evanston, IL
    Math major, and I want to be a sports broadcaster. I go to a liberal arts school (Carleton College), so for me what I major in isn't important, it's the activities that i do. I broadcast soccer, football, basketball, baseball, and softball for Carleton, and this summer I'm interning in MLS's broadcasting department. I think that jobs, internships, and extracirricular activities relating to your potential field can be equally (or more) important to your future than what you major in, depending on what your potential career is.