What are you studying (major)? What is your career plan?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by rkim291968, Mar 13, 2005.

1. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    What are you studying at school (major/minor)?
    What are your career plans after school?

What is realistically happen despite your career plan?

2. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Finance major at Arizona State. Starting at the WP Carey school of business next semester. Hoping to get a job working for my uncle on wall street, if not, stick with my current gig at Magnolia Home Theatre and work my way up.

3. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    lol. I used to love these kind of questions when I was at university. I'd go to these job fairs and the 'counselor' would ask what my major was and invariably would just about fall out of his/her chair when I said, "Classics." Good times :D

4. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i was a history major with a risk management (insurance) minor

right now I'm doing car stereo claims over the phone, but looking for a job as an underwriting or with and insurance broker

5. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm studying Geography at King's College London.

My career plan has nothing, i repeat, absolutely NOTHING to geography. It never has, and it never will.

...that, among other reasons, is why I'm transferring at the end of this year. :)

6. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha...today I got a letter saying that I was a "Dean's Scholar" and that I was guaranteed admission into the professional program if I go to ASU. However, the biggest problem with this is that I don't want to do business anymore. And I probably won't go to ASU. But still, it was a cool letter to get.

7. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I'm a ajor in philosophy and I have no clue as to what I'm going to minor in. The only certain thing I know is that I have to have a minor. The great thing about it is that there's really no carrier in it. At least not in Denmark unless you work your ass off and catches a lucky break.

But I like it.

KJ

8. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Interesting so far, although I was hoping to see more responses. I have started this thread because I have a child who is going to college in two years. Like many others in HS, he has no clue what major he wants to be in, or what career he want to go in. Thanks to those who responded so far.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was a biology major at Caltech. I'm going for a tenure-track academic career in neuroscience, though I'm not sure whether it'll end up being pure academia or academic medicine. Either way, it's the kind of career that you should only go for if you both know you really want to be a professor, and understand exactly what you're getting yourself into - this goes for any branch of academia.

10. soccergal_6_2000

soccergal_6_2000 New Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    I'm going for Biology with a minor in environmental science... not quite sure right now what type of career i want... maybe something in conservation

11. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Thanks.

My kid just visited Caltech for a school tour. He didn't warm up to the small school env. How's school life there?

12. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, from someone who is in high school, I want to be an English major, and teach English in High School (potentially, I could get a PHD, and become a professor, but that's a long way off).

13. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    My majors:
    1990: B.M. Church Music
    1991: B.M. Theory and Composition
    1992: B.M. Voice Performance
    1999: B.S. Computer Information Systems
    2000: B.A. Organizational Leadership, in which I received my degree in 2002, 12 years, three degree programs and 5 majors after I started.

My point being: He's young. Even if he knew for certain into what field he wanted to plunge academically, he'd probably wind up in another, and then another after that. Honestly, there are times I wish I hadn't known for certain what field I wanted to study when I was in High School. I might have enjoyed a bit of liberty in that direction, or the freedom to explore knowledge that a liberal arts school (as opposed to conservatory) would have given me.

Of course, grad school has been a bit different. It took a bit of wrangling with the issue, but once I settled on a major (after the 1st core year), I was settled. Four semesters, no changes (3 yr program). Being in my 30s as opposed to my teens just may have had something to do with that :)

And I'll be graduating with that MBA in Management and Organizations in just a couple of weeks, pending a few papers being written, of course... ;).

14. jatm516

jatm516 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Hope, Arkansas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm just finishing up my first year of law school.

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Either going to be doign film studies/English literature (Trinity College), Media Studies (Dublin Institute of Technology), English, Media & Cultural Studies (Dun Laoighaire Institute of Technology) or Audio Visual Humanities (Intitute of Technology, Tallaght). Trinity is pretty much out of reach, but I hope to get into DIT. In the future, I want to be a screenwriter, author or else work in movies/theatre... and it all started right here 2 years ago, thanks to Michael K!

16. listen_up_fergie

listen_up_fergie New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Montreal
    I'm a biology major, and I'm trying to get a minor in neuroscience. I'm considering a career in academic medicine, but I've still got at least a year to make up my mind. Till then I need to focus on improving my grades :(

17. ilv2

ilv2 New Member

May 30, 2004
    L'abbaye de Leffe
    went in undeclared (freshman year btw), parents wanted me to be a BioChem major with the intention of going to med school. The first day of class, I walked into my bio lecture and realised I've always hated science and dropped it.
    2nd semester became a International Relations and French double major, and (so far) am on course to go to law school, although I'm having my doubts. My cousin suggested going to grad school instead and taking the foreign services exam since policy interests me. Still not sure though

18. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Criminal Justice major, Sociology minor

would like to get involved with counseling somehow, maybe drug and alcohol abusers, or work with juveniles

no idea, probably keep my current job working in teh accounting office at Wegmans (grocery store chain) for my whole life :rolleyes:

19. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Major in Early Childhood Education, minor in international business. I have no idea what I'm doing.

20. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Straight degree in psychology, although I'm doing modules in English and philosophy. I don't really know what I want to do afterwards though, although I'd like to do a masters and Phd...could end up in journalism, research & lecturing, writing, management...dunno. I might go off to France to study for a year in the middle.

21. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    Leto? As in Dunes?

22. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Assuming you mean Dune and not Dunes, then yep :) I read the books years ago and just always liked that character (the original Leto, not the grandson).

23. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA

That's cool. [​IMG] I like the books (Dune, Children of Dune, ...) and have DVDs as well.

24. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    The books, particularly the original, are great. The film version of Dune is abysmal (although I haven't seen it in a few years so I'd actually like to watch it again to see if my opinion will have changed)...I didn't know that there were any other televised versions (although wasn't there a mini-series? Or was that the original plan before they turned it into a film?).

25. rkim291968

rkim291968 New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    CA, USA
    I recently bought the mini-series through E-bay and I've liked it. The series covers first two books I think. Yeah, the original movie is not well made.

Dune is great. Subsequent books gets wierder each time. The last one was really too commerical and has completely become a trash sci-fi novel. I regretted reading it - I only did so for the sake of being complete. :eek: