What are you riding?

Discussion in 'Cycling' started by Dead Fingers, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Just don't share blood bags.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  2. BullMoose

BullMoose Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, here's my concern with this. I used to use my iPhone and the Strava app to track my rides, but my phone started having some serious issues (it would be unresponsive, the microphone wouldn't work, etc). I'm wondering if the sweat got through the arm band and messed up the chip inside my phone. If that's the case, I wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake with my new phone. Having a Garmin device would fix this problem.

3. Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe Member

May 24, 2010
    I want a new bike. I don't want to spend a thousand bucks.

Problems, problems, problems.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Craigslist.

5. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    My new bike is still a few years away, though I am probably going to be spending around $2500

6. Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe Member

May 24, 2010
    To get a pretty decent road bike that isn't in bad shape?

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Its hit or miss. I always look in S. Fla when visiting my parents. I've been looking to buy a cheap bike to ride when I am there on vacation. I see a lot of nice bikes, but more than I am willing to pay for a bike I would ride one week per year.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Disaster of a night. My wife crashed twice. Bloodied up her leg.
    Got her SPD pedals and shoes today and changed out her clipped platform pedals. Both crashes were after she clipped in one foot while she had the other on the ground. :)

Changed up tactics, took the bike indoors and attached it to the trainer and she's been practicing on that. No one has been hurt since.

Moishe repped this.
  9. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Have this European friend (@The Jitty Slitter) who is looking into a possible mountain bike. Any advice on brands or things he should be looking at?

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Got a flat tire tonight riding intervals on my 2 mile circle. Gorgeous night, so I was pissed. The irrational thing was to stop at the bike store on my way home to look at new bikes. I am now seriously considering this:
    [​IMG]
    2014 Jamis Icon. Aluminum frame. Same carbon fork as the Zenith carbon series. $1750 and 20% off sale on the bike until X-Mas. 105 Group set. 16 lbs.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    aaaaaaand I bought it today. Pick it up Wednesday. Taking Thursday off to go riding

12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Looks like you killed this thread...:)
    How is it working for you now that it's been broken in?

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Love the bike. Got about 1000 miles on it now. Considering a new seat. Not crazy about the stocked one. Also need to get some new tires soon

usscouse repped this.
  14. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Got this a few months ago... I've put in several good rides. I love it... problem is, I want to upgrade already. o_O rofl

[​IMG]

cleansheetbsc and usscouse repped this.
  15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Well done you guys. Makes my knee hurt though looking at the bike. Got to get a torn meniscus sorted out soon, had the left one done a couple of years back. Old age is prolly the biggest problem though..:)

My last road bike was a Peugeot in my SoCal days riding with a French guy. I have a mountain bike now that I need to get onto again.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sora shifters and components? What kind of tires? Look like 28 city tires.

17. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually grabbed the wrong image from the performance website.-

[​IMG]

It's a cyclocross- entry level. Some shimano components some are scattante components. I love it!

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No issue there. Entry level cyclecross. I have one too as a knock-around bike and winter ride bike (30 miles tops). Even do x-cross training rides (a ton of fun)

If you are using it for road riding (with distance and speed) you will want a road specific bike. The 5 or so lbs saved makes a big difference.

If funds are tight, just try some road tires.

Estevo repped this.
  19. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like being able to go on fire roads too, and most of my rides are 20-25 miles.

that's what I meant by upgrading though, I really want a road specific bike now. :thumbsup:

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Two is a good number of bikes to own, unless you need a 3rd.

21. Estevo

Estevo Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    The I to the E!
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have my Kona 120 Deluxe mt. bike and a Giant for cruising on the boardwalk/around the neighborhood.

I may have to run it by the boss when I decide to buy the road bike (that would make it four bicycles total). :x3:

22. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hadn't bought a bike in quite some time so I went out and put a down payment on next years model of the Trek X-Caliber 9. This will probably be my main commuting bike as the Gary Fisher will get retired or worse yet, turned into a single speed. Also looking at picking up one of the two weekly club road rides here on the island. Best thing about living on Hilton Head is that you have more miles of bike trails than you do road miles. The wife also wants matching beach cruisers. Why the hell not, it's another bike and one that I don't have to weasel my way into.

[​IMG]

It will also be my first 29er. Rented and rode a Specialized in 29 through Savannah and what a difference the bigger wheels makes.

Dead Fingers repped this.
  23. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump, how does this baby ride?

aveslacker repped this.
  24. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very smooth. A hell of a lot more refined than my Gary Fisher. It is also a frame size larger than my Fisher so overall comfort for cruising around is far superior. Components are definitely an upgrade as I have really felt a need to change out much of my Fisher. About a month ago I took both bikes up to Boone, NC and rode technical single track and logging roads for the first time in a few years. The Trek was again a very smooth ride and ate up everything in front of it but I didn't find it nearly as responsive as I do my Fisher in tight technical parts of the trails I rode. I took the Fisher out the next day and rode the same trails and was notably faster and my computer confirmed that. With regards to the latter, I tend to think that a lot of that has to do with my more intimate experience riding the Fisher than anything else though there might be something to my theory about a smaller frame being more easily thrown around tight spaces.

I really need more trail time to offer better insight as well as compare the pros and cons. As a daily cruiser it is a joy to ride, pedal strokes feel more efficient and you gobble up every bump in front of you. Arguably more bike than you should ever need for a commuter but whatever. I'm trying to plan a trip up to Ashville for later in the summer and I'll report back.

I did put some first gen eggbeaters on it which I found at a swap meet in Charleston. Really impressed with those and now curious as to how some of the newer models crank brothers came with are. As for the bike, I have no regrets and with more trail time could get the same emotional connection that I have with my Fisher. Worth the money for sure plus by virtue of the shop owner being my neighbor I ended up saving $200 and got free service anytime I need it. Not having a garage anymore makes the service part a luxury I never thought I'd need.

25. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With mtn bike 29" whells make a HUGE difference. My brother has a Rocky Mountain with 29' wheels and is is amazing. The wheels make the biggest difference. I wish they had started make the bigger wheels much sooner.