What are you looking forward to (Ecuador & Chile games)?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by nobody, Mar 19, 2019.

1. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Lots of consternation around here and I don't want to pretend it isn't legit. I'm absolutely bothered by some of the notions about how the guys will line-up, call-ups I hoped for, guys I'm scratching my head about, etc. But, mostly I am really looking forward to seeing the games. Whatever goes on tactically, I still enjoy the games and I still like to see our guys play. And, there is plenty to get excited about in these games. So, I'm gonna throw out a few things that I am looking forward to seeing as these games get closer.

First thing I'm really excited to see.... Pulisic, McKennie and Adams on the field together. Wherever they line up, it's about time to see a couple games with our top youngsters all on the field together, hopefully for the full 90 in both games. This alone is worth the price of admission to me and the thing I am most looking forward to.

Which of the forwards will step up? No Weah, no Sargent, no Jozy, no Wood. Most of the usual suspects and future great hopes are out. Someone will have to take the field in three forward spots. Will any of them surprise? Morris has been looking good all of a sudden and he's absolutely shown he can make a difference at this level in the past.

Similarly, who will score the goals? Zardes seems to have the inside track on the striker role where he will be set up to score if he gets the start. The wing players have it a bit tougher as they start very wide in this setup. If Yedlin starts on the right wing, doubtful we get a goal from him. Will Pulisic crashing in from midfield be the guy we keep relying on for goals?

Who's going to be in goal? With Steffan pulling out, we've got a bit of a mystery here. It will be interesting to see if Horvath takes the spot of it it goes to someone else.
    A month ago, I'm guessing most people would have said Horvath without question, but things aren't looking quite so simple now.

Does anyone play themselves off the team?
    As much as I may not agree with a few call ups, I truly want them all to succeed once they pull on the shirt and take the field. But, there are a lot of guys many see as borderline. Will any of these guys squander their chances? Will this be the last we see of anyone? No coach gets his first round of call ups exactly right and players always drop off. Who will be one and done from this group?

So yeah, legit complaints abound, but the games are still to be played so maybe we see how it all happens before we judge too harshly. I'll certainly have my issues if things don't go well and there are certainly things I'll be shocked to see work out well. But at this point, I just want to get to the opening whistle and let the team show me what they got. There will be plenty of time to critique any failures in the aftermath.

So, c'mon, I know most people here are still looking forward to the games and I'm sure plenty of people have favorite players or players they hope to see shine. What are you all looking forward to seeing?

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good list. I will add that I would to continue to see the cohesiveness and execution of the first two games. Players will come and go, but are they buying into Berhalter's vision and does it translate into a "team" approach and results. While win's aren't important at this stage, it would be great to start to show consistency from game to game.

3. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3 mattjo, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    I am looking forward to seeing a real experimentation with tactics. I guess I am interested to see how the players respond to tactical instruction and what Berhalter learns from it going forward.

Instead of making a fantasy football team of just throwing out the best players, we may actually try to create a team.

I also look forward to the overreaction (positive and negative) on these boards.

zanderbz, um_chili and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  4. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I am really looking forward to seeing how Berhalter puts together his team and system. On one hand, he will have more of his current first choice players but he will have far less time to implement his system. I am looking forward to seeing what works and what doesn't work. I am hoping to be pleased with the overall play but expect some of the things he is implementing to fail. Any radically new system usually has kinks...large and small that have to be worked out.

I'm looking forward to seeing the European players and how they work together with each other and how they combine with the MLS players. To me, this is the first test. At least in the sense that we will get to see both the offense and defense play against teams that will be more competitive than the previous two.

The next thing that I am looking forward to is to see how he adjusts and reacts between now and the Gold Cup. I will try to withhold judgement until after the gold cup.

5. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is always that sixth sub that comes on for ten minutes and makes some plays which just goes to show HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN STARTING!!!

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'm looking forward to some bourbon.

ChrisSSBB and TOAzer repped this.
  7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Interested in how CP performs, if he takes over like he has in the past during select NT games or looks similar to his recent club form. Excited to see Morris with the NT again, he was my primary "I wish he could've been there" lament from the T&T game. Rooting for Zardes, as always. He didn't look too good last time around, but like Mulder I still want to believe. :p

TOAzer repped this.
  8. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    I’m curious to see how Lima will look with more of our a-team players, I’ve seen almost all his games as a pro, and was surprised/impressed with how quickly he was able to come in and be effective in a US shirt. He offers something different at the rb slot, it’ll be interesting to see what his role with the US is going forward

9. FormerNo10

FormerNo10 Member

Juventus
    United States
    Dec 13, 2018
    I am interested to watch Weston McKennie play in a position that should allow him to have a positive impact on the game. He brings a lot to the table and has been playing better and better. Playing next to Pulisic will offer more exciting soccer for US fans after the last few years.
    I also strongly suspect that with Adams playing the RB position and MB/WT playing the #6 this system will require McKennie to do all of the hard running. He will need to cover a lot of ground, especially defensively as the #6 spot in this lineup is a liability.
    Get ready to run Weston, and cover. Keep winning all of those aerials and your throw-ins are becoming a weapon. Can't wait!

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What am I looking for? Players to learn the system and stay healthy.

Ecuador under Bolillo Gomez is going to be very physical and in many respects defensive. It may take something special from Pulisic to open the game up. I expect a 0-0 but hoping for 1-0 or 2-1 type of win.

Chile is going to be physical too but under Rueda will try to build from the back Barcelona tiki-taka style. They have been struggling to learn his tactics though so we have a chance to beat them but it would have to be a higher scoring affair. Something like 3-2. (But I expect 2-2)

11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I'm excited to see McKennie in a USMNT with a defined and thought out job to do.

I'm excited to see if Pulisic can be effective in the Left #10 role. Might be hard to tell with the options ahead of him.

I'm interested to see if Miazga or Yedlin starts. I would think yes and no. I'll be interested which of the Camp Cupcake darlings doesn't see more than 20 minutes total in the two games. The Darlings would be Lima, Lletget, Long, Baird, Lewis.

I'm interested to see if GB has decided between Trapp or Bradley and if they can be effective surrounded by our four best players.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Ecuador is a strange one. They are capable of mailing it in so we might not see a true challenge. They win in unplayable Quito and draw here and there. They then play two games in the WC, qualify for breakout, then Inexplicably pack it in and call it a day.

If MB hits the pitch I will go count snowflakes. Otherwise I'm looking for 3 connecting attacking passes. 3! I've decided to upgrade my expected 2 passes because we have a good squad.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Not a surprise. Ecuador mailed it in. About as informative as watching a man hammer a wall for 90min

adam tash repped this.