We've signed three players now! The Summer 19 Transfer Thread II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ???

2. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't tell if you were serious. A 32-year-old who would blow up the club's wage structure, who doesn't press, and who all but demands that the team run through him doesn't seem like the ideal signing for Klopp's Liverpool--even if he's been the best player in the world for the past dozen years.

3. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought there was a smiley at the beginning of his post ...

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    there was.

here's another one for good measure. :)

5. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I missed it. Bad eyes.

SamScouse repped this.
  6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Read an article about Duncan at City when he was agitating for a move to Liverpool but can’t find it now.

He was good and City rated him and they wanted to keep him. England U16 had just won the WC with Duncan scoring a hat trick against Brazil in the semis or final.

Yet, he decided that City were holding him back following his WC exploits. Because every PL side needs a 16 year old striker, right? Anyway, as his contract was winding down at City, they apparently found him so toxic that not only did they make him train away from the team, they made him train away from the training ground. In local parks, gyms and when the City facilities were empty.

Now I’m all for cocky and it’s usually a needed quality, especially in strikers, but the more I read about Duncan, the more I believe that Liverpool really dodged a bullet by getting rid of him. And I think that’ll be the case wherever he goes. He’s got worse-than-Balotelli written all over him.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Matip's contract extended one year.

Great to see, but I'd have preferred 2 years personally.

8. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    soccershaggy repped this.
  9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they are going to offer him a new one as well. This just keeps him around for next year for sure.

10. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    given the good vibes around some of the young defenders - plus Gomez of course - my guess it'll be a year-by-year decision on whether to renew Matip.

Lovren will be gone by next year so that will open up some youth opportunities, but if Matip keeps up current form and fitness we'd be crazy to let him go.

11. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the flip side - Milner has looked off so far this season. Now, given his fitness, maybe he will shine in the second half of the season when others start tiring. He's clearly a key veteran and well liked in the squad - but giving him anything more than 2 years with a minimal bump doesn't make a ton of sense.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Millie's worth his weight in gold imo - having him on the bench is like having 3 men each with tons of top-level experience - gives you cover for forward line, midfield and defence. what other player in world football gives you that? and as you say his influence in the dressing room is huge. a 100% class act.

CB-West repped this.
  14. jeffcoop

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's going to slow down, though (and he's already relatively slow). Those legs have a lot of miles/kilometers on them, and all that work and graft, valuable as it was/is, inevitably takes its toll.

Milner is a better player than Dirk Kuyt was in just about every way, but, like Milner, Kuyt had an engine that would not quit. Despite his continued impressive workrate, his performance level dropped in his early 30s to the point that Liverpool let him go just before his 33rd birthday. Steven Gerrard was a club legend, another hard worker, and more skilled than Milner, but after 33 his performance dropped pretty significantly. Age comes for us all, and it is coming for Milner.

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point the rubber meets the road. Milner isn't the same player he was even 18 months ago I don't think.

That said how much is all his experience and leadership worth? I'd suggest he's a pretty excellent backup option for multiple positions, and great on the bench, in training, in the dressing room likely, as Sam said. It's a lot of wages that could go to a really top class attacking rotation player... but depth cuts both ways, you need to bring through dynamic young rotation players but you also need the experienced, hardworking types to come in and act like a leader.

The club must love him, I'd think you have to keep him around.

16. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just read LFC signed the youth kid Glatzel to a new contract...updated from the one he signed earlier this year...

speker repped this.
  17. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    just came across this .... karma can be a bitch, Bobby lad ....

While he was no doubt glad to get off the mark with his new club, that first-team action has not arrived as of yet. When Duncan was announced at Fiorentina, he was named as a youth signing rather than a senior addition, so the pathway to Serie A might not be straightforward.

18. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It is likely to be easier than here given the talent infront of him and the style of play of the manager.

His agent was a dickhead and the player went about it entirely the wrong way, but as a career decision he might be better off at a team he has a chance in. He'd not have made the squad for MK Dons next week.

EruditeHobo and Suss repped this.
  19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interested to see what that MK Dons squad looks like...

20. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I would guess something like this:

Adrian
    Hoever Gomez Lovren Larouchi
    Lallana
    Ox Milner
    Shaq Brewster Origi
    Not a ton of chances for the kids even if we change all of the outfield players.

idreamofpikas and EruditeHobo repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I like that lineup.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks great. I'd really love to see Brewster play himself into some more bench/sub minutes, even in the easier CL matches or easier prem matches.

Am I crazy to kind of want the kid in goal?

idreamofpikas repped this.
  23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I figured there is no point in resting Adrian when Alisson is due back soon. Going forward, the cups will be the only time he gets a game.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd rest him myself. last thing we need is for him to get crocked.