We've signed three players now! The Summer 19 Transfer Thread II

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think that's called getting good advice ,pikas .

Dominic King has done a piece on Duncan.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ve-make-Liverpools-team-sad-exit-Anfield.html

Samarkand repped this.
  2. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It was about the manager having a plan for him and convincing him that he would be part of his long term vision. I don't think Duncan, despite being a better player than Glatzel, is part of Klopp's first team plans due to his style of play rather than potential. Rhian is only a year older than both, it is going to be tough with him infront of him and the inevitable promising next gen that comes around every year.

Suso kind of did something similar, he was aware that he was not really in our managers first team plans (his lack of pace was a real stumbling block for a Prem wide forward) so moved on and has done great. Dani Pacheco hung around for 6 years and is a bench player in the Spanish second division.

Not always, but sometimes players have to move on very quickly if they don't see a natural progression. Duncan is a hugely rated youth prospect, it is why we signed him, why Man City did not want him to leave and why he's gone to Serie A. He may or may not make, but the same is true if he had stayed. I disagree with the argument that moving has hurt his career (by the same token I don't think staying would have hurt it either).

imasyko and Samarkand repped this.
  3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I had thought Duncan would stay, but so much for that.

It looked to me that there were only a few solutions to the impasse:

* He stayed (with an apology) and the agent exited.

* He left and kept the agent.

* An outside chance that he and agent both stayed.

But Liverpool being Liverpool and footballing business being what it is, there was of course another way. He left and Liverpool ostracized the agent in such a fashion that it’s unlikely he’ll ever represent another Liverpool player or target.

Liverpool used the agent who had brokered the City to Liverpool deal, cutting Rubie out entirely. I suspect what this means is that Liverpool have caused trouble between the agents as to who gets the 15% and who represents him. In many ways, exiling Rubie is much more draconian than the way Duncan was treated and the effects on Rubie will be longer lasting than Duncan.

The Daily Mail article above is very interesting, showing albeit from one example how far away Duncan was. But as I have said before on this, with precious few exceptions, the 18 year old who sets youth football on fire is not the 21 year old who dominates senior football. Michael Owen is one of the few Liverpool players I can think of; perhaps Sterling also.

Really, really badly advised and you would hope for Duncan that in 10 years time he won’t be cadging pints on the basis that he scored for Liverpool. Once. Against Tranmere. In pre-season. But that outcome is a more likely possibility today than it was yesterday.

soccershaggy and newterp repped this.
  4. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #104 speker, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    I think this is simply another case of a young player being impatient . Duncan , thinks he's good enough and wants to be playing first team football somewhere now , end of.
    The truth is he's not good enough for Lfc's first eleven and probably not any prem league first eleven.……….yet.
    Yes Brewster is in Klopps plans while Duncan hasn't reached that point yet because 1) he's farther along the development line and 2) he's a better player/prospect at the moment.

That's not to say Duncan could not also reach that level over the next few years though and if he didn't prove it his career would hardly be in the bin at 19 or 20 years old.
    Right now after one season at Lpool some sound advice would have been to be patient. Work hard this season in the U23's with the clubs other top prospects Jones, Elliot , Hoever, Vanden Berg etc . Learn yer trade and see where it takes you.

5. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yan Dhanda was the same last season, great youth prospect who we were desperate to sign a new contract but he made the decision to move on rather than wait his turn.

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    right on. the lad obviously has zero patience, and thinks he's god's gift to football. OR he just wants big $$$ and wants them before he's really earned them, and Fiorentina have decided to give him a big raise over his LFC wages.

anyhow -- whatever the details are, he's gone and I'm 100% fine with that. especially if he was infecting the attitude of other lads on the squad.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  8. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw Glatzel is higher rated than Duncan - I think it was stated as opposite above. Maybe Duncan has more talent but the club seem to like Glatzel more.

9. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't think Duncan has more talent tbh. Duncan has had more publicity due to having StevieG as a cousin but both are good young prospects . I rate Glatzel above Duncan and I'm happier that he's the one is still with us.

10. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He fits the system, he can work as an understudy to Firmino whereas Duncan's particular skillset does not really gel as an understudy to any of our forward 3. Before today I'd say our coaches saw more of a future for Glatzel at Liverpool than Duncan.

Talent wise/potential wise as players Duncan was the more highly rated, huge player for both England under 16's and 17's and looked exceptional against Brazil. Perhaps if Glatzel had not had so many injuries he'd be up there with Duncan, but he has had a few setbacks.

My own personal opinion is that Duncan, of the two, is the more likely to become an established star (though a long shot for both) but Glatzel could become a squad player with us given his work rate and dependability.

Surprised Chirvella has not moved this window. This time last year Celtic and a few others were lining up a 3 million move which he missed out on ( I think he turned down) and now seems to waiting for his contract to end. Really promising player in the Wijnaldum mould (not flashy at all, just stable) at youth level.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Oh, TAA also. D’oh!

BTW, one or two outlets have mentioned in passing that Duncan is currently not affiliated with any of the England underage sides, unlike other Liverpool players. Not certain it necessarily means anything, but you would have thought if he was this goal scoring monster, well…

12. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Michael Edwards playing a blinder . I'd like to see Klopp use some of it in Jan and grab some backup for Robbo at lb.

Liverpool have potentially banked £53.2m from sales and loans this summer: Ings 20, Mignolet 8, Kent 7.5, Camacho 7, Ejaria 3.5, Duncan 1.8, Johnston 300k. (Loans) Wilson 2.5, Grujic 2, Awonyi 600k

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That’s a lot of money without selling Harry Wilson or Marco Gruijic who are probably worth another 50 million between the two of them.

14. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Should have the resources to buy a top player in January if we are desperate or the right one becomes available.

15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Saif Rubie, after Duncan's transfer to Fiorentina:

“To be in the top 1% you have to be prepared to do what 99% of the rest won’t do. In my line of work I know nobody even comes near. Not everything in life is black and white and you have to be able to adapt and roll with the punches. Now Bobby Duncan has the opportunity to live and experience something not many young English players have done.That’s what leaders do”

Glad that's sorted then.

17. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leaders definitely run at the first sign of adversity. Again.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a ********ing douchebag. That would be true if he did this to Liverpool, or any other club. What a ********.

Agents are an important part of the ecosystem of the game in looking out for the players, but it's times like this that serve as a great reminder that it's a job that appeals to and even greatly rewards people that act like utter shitheads.

19. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  20. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a good understudy in case Mane goes down.

21. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    :cautious:

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I don't see Duncan's name there.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  23. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we saved a lot of money this summer. now we know why .... :)

Lionel Messi will be allowed to leave Barcelona on a free transfer next summer, should the 32-year-old Argentina forward desire, owing to a clause in his contract. (El Pais, via L'Equipe)

Messi will be allowed to negotiate his future with any club from 1 January. (Marca - in Spanish)

24. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No smiley for that?