WEURO 2017 - SF2 - Netherlands vs England

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 1, 2017.

?

Who's going to advance to the final?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. Netherlands

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. England

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Probably why it was given to the Dutch in order not to break her heart.

blissett repped this.
  2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed. She was promising in the 2011 World Cup but hasn't lived up to expectations sadly. Would like to see Beth Mead take her place but that's doubtful, even though she has an amazing goal ratio.

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Crossing fingers.

So much support that it has to become a jinx! :x3:

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's so bad about him other than he complains every now and again to the ref like most coaches?

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I feel better. :p

6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    an English specialty
    upfront, Taylor is solid, Kirby's good in cramped spaces, but not against a fast team. If we felt Jones was disappointing with the players she didn't pick, you'll be shocked at the enormous amount that Sampson didn't bring with his squad. There too very fast wingers currently in the NWSL named Daly & Galton, that definitely would of been a huge improvement of White & Williams, but alas, Sampson did the Jones way of playing without wingers except for his one FB, Bronze.. And then so many others left behind from the WPL; Aluko, Davison, Lawley Carter. From what Sampson had; Greenwood would of been a better choice to start at L-FB instead of Spence who couldn't even defend against van de Sanden.

gricio61 and soccernutter repped this.
  7. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I never understand why some ppl hate England WNT, I started to root for them because of the 2015 performance. Also a big fan of Duggan while she joined Barca.

8. I already cannot stand it being done in the male competitions, it's just baboon monkey rock behaviour. I think the UEFA should punish that behaviour with a million fine. Sure thing to make them quiet.

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They'll never do that. UEFA doesn't even have the balls to harshly punish countries for racially abusing opposing players/coaches let alone a manager for arguing a decision.

I think you're taking it way out of context.

soccernutter repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    my dad was Dutch, so certainly been rooting for them, but since all the big wigs have been eliminated, makes you wonder if the best teams in the world right now are congregating in Carson, Calif? I'll putting some shrimp on the barbie tonite!

11. Nope, it can be done in rugby, so it can be behaviour in football.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree it's bad behavior but it's not as terrible as how you're portraying it to be.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Congrats to the Dutch. Fully deserved win and a great tournament host that will hopefully help grow the sport further all over Europe. From an England perspective -

You can't start a game like that and expect to survive in tournament football. It felt as if we had to concede just so we could start playing. I know the Dutch started well but England were playing like they had a lead and were trying to run the clock out or something.

Fair enough Sampson has his style for the team to play but how did Ellen White finish that game? He should have made changes so much earlier and when he did make them I can't say I agreed with them. Fara Williams didn't really look up to international level anymore in the group game against Portugal so I was surprised to see her starting.

When you drill this specific style into a squad you always find it's tough to come back from a goal down. The team hasn't really been very good at countering all tournament and semis is in the end a deserved finish.

gricio61, soccernutter, W.A.S.P. and 3 others repped this.
  14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Congrats to you. You're a good sport! :thumbsup:

15. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sampson was already losing his mind in the end of last game, doing no change when France was trying to push up, not even in the end.

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    From everything I read pre tournament England's total obsession with 'fitness' is what did them in....pity they didn't work on skill, artistry, creativity, decision making, game sense and field awareness....Instead Sampson apparently ran them like dogs.....the blame for this debacle is all his...England were poor against Spain and Portugal and fortunate against a French side they have always looked second best to.....As a former Brazilian team mate of mine once said, when asked about the ability of a player on trial..."He run good"....Yeah, but can he play...? "He strong like bull".....Yeah but can he play...?...." He fight like Lion".....Yeah but can he play...? "Fook no, he fookin useless".....Skill and the other things I mentioned above will always trump "Fitness Training"....You get fit for football by.....playing football....Short-sided games, possession games, half-pitch games, uneven numbers games....NOT by running laps and the rest...England were crap today and that is all on Sampson......

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    haha thanks.

Yeah, I don't think he's ever shown that he can be adaptable during games and he loses composure at times. Still regardless of tactics or personnel I think the players have to take the blame for that start.

blissett repped this.
  18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think Sampson's done the best out of this english team, not his fault that England hasn't better midfielders, like they lack a playmaker and creativity. Hotjam2 mentioned some players idk if they are better than the ones in Sampson's squad, although I know Aluko and wanted her to be in the squaden

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It's far less 'messy' when Nobbs is played central but there are obvious gaps in that CM area. I would have played Nobbs in Jill Scott's place for this game anyway.

20. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's harsh to blame most of the players, they were doing well overall this tournament, much better than their men last year.

21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Duggan should have been a starter!

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't care about how well they do compared to the men. They were a better side this year than in 2015 but played poorly today and looking back not so great in previous games formation wise.

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've watched the US win games they should have lost solely by being fitter than their opposition. I don't think focusing on fitness is an entirely bad thing, because it can often make a difference late in a game. You can have all the skill in the world, but it won't do you any good if you're exhausted and your opponent is able to run right past you because they have a stronger fitness base.

Having said that, focusing on one to the detriment of the other isn't a winning formula, either. A coach who can find the balance between training skill and building fitness is more likely to succeed than one who favors skill or fitness.

blissett repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The change to focus on fitness can probably be traced back to the USMen in WC02. It also showed the limitation of skill despite supreme fitness (US v. Germany). I agree, though, that there needs to be a balance, which means the coach really needs to know/understand the squad they are managing.

25. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sampson has to take the blame.