WEURO 2017 - SF1 - Denmark vs Austria

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 1, 2017.

?

Who's going to advance to the final?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. Denmark

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Austria

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Poor aunt Verena! :laugh:

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well that was piss poor penalties.

3. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Austria stinking up the joint with those PKs. Anyway, the better team won. Denmark looked pretty lively during the final minutes of the 2nd OT. Congrats to them. The game needs a Netherlands v Denmark final.

gricio61, Ceres, Weltmann and 1 other person repped this.
  4. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    #10 of Denmark looked like she could have played another 120 minutes

blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Pernilla Harder, top-class quality.

6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The Austrians quite clearly lost their physical advantage in the last 15 minutes, where they suddenly lost most of the duels and were leaving more space for the Danish players.

blissett repped this.
  7. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Congrats Denmark. Entertaining game.

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree: not actually thrilling, but not bad either.

9. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well ... Austria did not really look like a team that would be able to score in open play ... and when they also had huge trouble on penalties, then it's an impossible uphill battle ...

10. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I think it was a good advertisement for women`s football.

Lechus7 repped this.
  11. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    They never looked like scoring against us either. Wish we could have played Denmark, think that would have been a great game.

12. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I rewatched and actually Zinsberger always dove by the correct side and about at the correct height. o_Oo_Oo_O She wasn't going to forgive the slightest mistake by any penalty diver.

I can tell you: we will heard about this girl for very long, despite the fact that she doesn't play for a top National Team. Spain will have to beware: Austrians have beaten them (although at PK shooutout only) here at Euro 2017 and they could very well do it again in the qualifiers for WWC 2019. o_O

debzy, Lechus7 and Weltmann repped this.
  14. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    unless it goes to a pk shootout, not really worried about Austria

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Obv meant "penalty taker"! :x3: Sorry for the typo. :oops:

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

pretty dumb for Austria to try & take the game to PK shootout & as I bet the Danish GK studied for hours tapes of the Austrian-Spain shootout

17. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

Also ... the general Northern European cool-mind mentality when being under pressure, I believe is also an advantage in a penalty shoot-out ...

18. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #93 debzy, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    Well the best team won there was no doubt about it, Austria can be very proud of their team and girls they gave everything they had in every game played but the clearly lacked individuals talent in general to reach the final.
    I didn't appreciate Denmark, for me they played way under expectation until the last 20 minutes of the extra time, their problem is always the same....great passing team, better than many think but the rhythm never change, poor movement. All game long it was too easy for Austria to defend because Danish fullback did very few overlapping, always rb Theresa Nilsson never lb Roddik and Sandvej, did very few give and go and like many teams in this Euro..bar Netherlands...I didn't see any 1-2...
    I mean one-two are clearly the best counter move against teams like Austria or Engalnd who close themselves very well, is effective and efficient very hard to stop if done correctlyl...preferably with one touch...Also I didn't saw many one/first touch passes done either .
    Denmark came alive only when the very interesting Thogersen came in and Pernille Harder woke up, don't know why but she always disappoints me when I see her play.
    Their lack of movement without the ball will not allow them to beat the Netherlands.
    Yes she's very very impressive not only for penalty stopping but overall abilities at 21 years old she has a bright future at the highest level in front of her.
    As for Austria WWC 2019 qualifier I don't know....this team is clearly very hard to defeat but could they easily win??... that's the question...I mean qualification are different from tournament, is more about winning and getting point than not loosing and eventually be saved by your goalie on penaltys...The dynamics, game approach, tactics, mental etc.. are very different. Is hard to tell how Austria gonna do.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.