WEURO 2017 - SF1 - Denmark vs Austria

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 1, 2017.

?

Who's going to advance to the final?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. Denmark

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Austria

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, in fact I now remember that I had those "sports" also mentioned in my article about swamp soccer championships! :laugh:

Probably there was also something about mosquito hunting contests. :x3:

Well, if one day a tournament will be played under an incredibly hot and muggy weather, Finland could just make up they're inside a sauna and win. :D

2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #27 blissett, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    I guess I'll have to lit a "caution: possible upsets" sign! :p So far, in this thread's poll, we have 9 votes for Denmark advancing and just 2 for Austria: it's dangerously similar to the poll for Germany-Denmark from some days ago...
    If we learnt anything, it's that this is the Euro of upsets and surprise teams, so, although I am one of those who voted for Denmark, I am prepared to anything. ;)

And, as you rightfully point out, Austria have some elements by their side: a very well organized defense and a GK that could eventually deserve an award as the best one of the competition, if she plays a good game today (if I look at other semi-finalists' GKs, Van de Veenendaal and Petersen seem clearly inferior to Zinsberger to me, while Bardsley, with her injury, not only missed the semifinal and possible final match, but also damaged her chances at Golden Glove).
    By the way: anyone can confirm that, as in most international competitions, at Euro 2017 there will be awards for Best Scorer, general MVP of the tournament and Best GK? If yes, it could be pretty interesting to start a thread to predict these awards... :cautious:

As always, Nadim scoring and being in the final would make for a winner-narrative. Seriously, Nadia's successful story, from war-devasted Afghanistan to NWSL stardom and Denmark's NT's good results is an evergreen seller.

kolabear and gricio61 repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My researches indicate that, last time around in 2013, there were just Golden/Silver/Bronze Boot awards and a general "UEFA Squad of the Tournament" including 23 selected members.

Not sure if it will be the same at this edition, but I would like some more prominent awards to be given.

4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Spare a thought for Lisa Makas, the injured player against Spain. Big loss for Austria and what a time to experience this with her team making history. I'm reading this was her third ACL-injury in only two years. It could be the end of her career, even if she is motivated to come back again. Don't know if it was the same knee every time though.

BlueCrimson, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    said it before the tournament began & will say it again; Pernile Harder is the best woso player in the world. She proved it again this last Sunday; with the score 1-1 early in the 2nd half, Jones, switched what fans here keep thinking is the p.o.y, Marozsan, to DM, which made her in more direct contact/opposite to Harder. But it was Harder that proceeded to rip the ball of Maro's feet on quite a few occasions that turned the tide.

In Austria, Harder will find a way more defensive minded team then she's played so far. Most likely, it will be their physical mid, Puntigan marking her. But Austrians have proven to have several underrated other players as well; Wenninger, got to be the best CB at this tourney, I wouldn't be surprise if she too keeps taps on Harder. The two FB's of there's, have also shown to be hard workhorses as well, if they can slow down the pace of Harder & her teamies, they could well take this game with a surprise goal as they do use three attacking fwds/or at least in their countering.

Denmark should at least take over the midfield, as the sturdious work of their DM, Jensen, seems to go un mentioned as well & do have upfront two strikers with considerable reps in Veje & Nadim, but the key to their win will be if Harder an keep up her fearful pace like she's done all tourney long

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad Finland hasn't kept pace. For a while, Finland wasn't far behind Sweden, Norway, Denmark. Some of you might remember Anne Mäkinen, the star midfielder who went to Notre Dame
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finland is, naturally, a big ice hockey country and their women's ice hockey team is, I believe, usually one of the top five in the world

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember an extremely tall Austrian DF from previous game: is it her? :cautious:

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like very much the "semi-finals" build-up blogs from Uefa Euro 2017 official website. Lot of interesting or funny quotes/photos in them. :)

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nope, that's the right-FB, Schetle. She's about 6ft(183CM). Her lanky build is deceptive; she don't have the athletic build or agility of Wendie Renard, but she's has played surprisingly well. She's more than held her own vs Spain & France on the defensive end & as well as coming up for conrers & fee kicks, plus her long balls have been a bonus for Austria's counter attacking style. Her one surprise bad game was against Iceland where her fouls gave way to some dangerous free kicks. But then in that game Austria came out of their defensive stance a bit more, where as vs Denmark, they'll most keep each other compact & come to each other's aid

blissett repped this.
  10. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    In 2011 when Dominik Thalhammer was appointed head coach Austria was 38th in the world. Today they are 24th (or even higher now) and playing Euro semifinal. Now this very underrated coach should finally be included on FIFA coach of the year shortlist.

gricio61, BlueCrimson and blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've seen red nail polish on Danish hands during National Anthems. Should go well for Demmark. :giggle: Going to start.

12. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Whoever else that voted for Austria, You Rock:D

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, what an open entertaining game so far!!! :)

Multiple chances and now a PK wasted by Puntigam!

I have to say that I agree with the referee (is she Monzul?) so far: Harder's chances wasn't a PK (at max you could have given a fould just outside the box, but it would have been quite harsh); the hand-ball in Danish box was quite clear instead and with the arm raised up and far from the body.

Weltmann repped this.
  14. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  15. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Penalty miss
    [​IMG]

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess there is not enough movement without the ball from Danish players (except possibly Nadim): this way, they're making it easier for Austrians, that indeed are defending with the usual grit.

Yes, Denmark hit the crossbar a few minutes ago, at about 20', but it was quite random.

17. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Lol, Aschauer has the look of an old aunt :laugh:: she's quite good offensively, but she's losing a lot of balls in the latests minutes. I can't decide if she's any good or not. :coffee:

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Ouch, Nicole Billa out injured at 37'! :x3: Sad for her. :(

Nadine Prohaska comes in: she wasn't bad in this tournament, when she played.

Billa crying and shaking in tears on the stretcher near the sideline is actually heart-breaking. :cry:

19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
  20. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Billa injury
    [​IMG]

blissett and gricio61 repped this.
  21. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I just got in. OMG..how did she miss that?!?!?!

22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I thought it was Beate Zschäpe who had escaped from prison the first time I saw her. :confused:

blissett and Weltmann repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    very equal, competitive game so far. Austria wants to counter attack, but their players aren't particularly fast, or not fast enough vs a very athletic Denmark. On the other hand they've stopped the Danish from their pace as well with their bunker. Wenninger is showing why she's the best CB in the tourney.

24. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I shouldn`t laugh, but :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, the first half ended 0-0 and it seems to me that, for all of the accolades Denmark received in previous games, it's Austria that's more deserving here, apart from the missed PK. What do you think, guys? :coffee:

Lechus7 repped this.