WEURO 2017 - Final Match - Netherlands vs Denmark

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 4, 2017.

?

Who's going to be the new Champion?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2017.
  1. Netherlands

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Denmark

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Decent turn-out to celebrate the winners also.

holland2017.jpg

CoachJon, debzy, gricio61 and 2 others repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Does she remind anyone else of Mia Hamm?

3. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    It's a close call. Leupolz is in there somewhere, too.

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    They have a shot.
    They are ranked really high in the updated DIFA Movement World Rankings.

1.) Australia
    2.) Netherlands
    3.) USA
    4.) Denmark
    5.) England
    6.) Canada
    7.) Austria
    8.) Japan
    9.) Spain
    10.) Italy
    11.) Brazil
    12.) Cameroon
    13.) Belgium
    14.) China
    15.) New Zealand

DIFA - where Movement within the rankings happen in the blink of an eye.

FIFA rankings are obsolete, and still have Norway ranked way too high, based on what they did in 2013 (but DIFA doesn't even consider 2013, that's the stone age in women's soccer years).

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  5. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    That Nadim isn`t in the Best 11 of the tournament is a joke.

blissett repped this.
  6. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    I bet Mia Hamm and Prinz are still getting votes from somewhere :ROFLMAO:

blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, the whole Best 11 looked like quite a joke :x3:: that technical committee didn't look very sober.

Weltmann and gricio61 repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In other countries, normally, winner teams celebrate by having a tour of the town on a bus. In Holland, they have a tour of the town... on a boat! :geek: (And having a beer meanwhile! :laugh:).

It can happen that supporters dive in the water while you pass-by. :laugh:

By the way, it seems to me, from two days ago post-match interviews also, that one of the most keen beer's fans is Jackie Groenen. :giggle:

Van de Sanden, instead, completely lost her voice. Looks quite the party animal to me. :giggle:

I somehow have to question Dutch choice of popular music though... o_O

Weltmann and gricio61 repped this.
  9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Didn't you have Spain winning it all last Cup?

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If I know WWC_Movement, I guess this will be his answer :x3::

Gilmoy repped this.
  11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Nope that's not why. After Euro 2013 and before Euro 2017, Norway played 25 competitive matches and won 19 of them. One problematic thing with tournament football is that people are often very easily flirted, and expect things to stay the same also after the confetti is cleaned up. As if the same teams that under-performed during a couple of weeks, should do it forever. But sport is fickle at the top. A rude shock can await around every corner. I'm reading in Danish media, their football president now aim for a top 4-finish at the next World Cup and Olympics as a natural target, but it's a long winding road to get there. Qualifying will be hard enough.

JanBalk, Weltmann and blissett repped this.
  12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    ...Because Steffi Jones has such a great track record molding teams at the u8 level.

( actually, I made that up. There is no evidence she has coached at any level)

BlueCrimson and Weltmann repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Subscribe, Bauser, but you're taking WWC_Movement much too seriously. He's always the usual court jester, here on BigSoccer. :rolleyes:

Bauser repped this.
  14. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    No wonder...the grass is much greener in Holland :D

blissett repped this.
  15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Surprised to see Brazil ranked so low, but then I havent been following women's footie at all prior to this Euro

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    shades of the men's WC semi-finals, last week they got wiped out by Australia, 6-1

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #217 hotjam2, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Lieke Martens & I believe Jackie Groenen
    Schermafbeelding_2017-08-07_om_23.50.41.jpg 1010152.jpg

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  18. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    She hasn`t. The only german nt coaches before her without coaching experience was Franz Beckenbauer, but he backed it up with 2nd place in WC 86, semifinal Euro 88 and World Champion in WC 90 and Klinsmann, who was instructed to tear the shop up, bring in new ideas and integrate the next generation for 2006. It`s just such a disservice to the integrity of german women football, to give the highest coaching job to someone with zero experience, who was buddy buddy with the federation president and when she fails spectacularly, she gets to keep the job.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here was a 'write in' all star team on an Austrian website
    All-Stars-1.png

gricio61 repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is already better, although it still misses Nadim, and I don't think Van Lunteren nor Babett Peter (!) should have anything to do with it.

gricio61 repped this.
  21. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Beware, @Brilliant Dutch , WWC_Movement is a notorious joker here on women's boards: his preferred victims for his pranks are people like you who don't know him well enough.

The rankings above are purely made-up by WWC_Movement! :x3: The real ones are here; they were last updated on June 23rd and they won't be updated again until September 1st (so, until then, they won't include results from this Euro 2017, nor from friendly Tournament of Nations in USA). Netherlands are surely going to climb a lot of positions up!

We have a good old thread, here on women's board on BigSoccer, where people use to discuss FIFA rankings (mostly the real ones; sometimes also imaginary ones, as WWC_Movement's :rolleyes:). There are often people who can predict quite weel through calculations the position-switches in advance of the updates.

gricio61 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  22. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "I believe"??? :devilish: Believe in super hot babe Jackie Groenen, @hotjam2!

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it's just the pic didn't get tagged with her name on it. Do you know that's she was also the Dutch karate champion?

but I do think he's more accurate than FIFA's!(which had Holland at #12 & Austria at #22/even Belgum only at #24 even though they beat, Norway FIFA's #11

here's a question for you; we've seen a surge of new posters for the Euros, but they'll probably wouldn't stick around. In the meantime, the longtime woso purists are disappearing from this forum, batfink, gromit, debzy, lechus, shlj?. Possibly the reason is because their version of the so called beautiful game(though there's other names used like tiki taka, samba, eccedra)
    So noticing that this last month, the most successful teams on both sides of the Atlantic have used a what's called more attacking, direct style of play with an add on of the very physical, high pressing, do you think this is good or bad for woso's future?

24. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually I think it was judo and not karate (maybe they're the same to you? :rolleyes:).

Anyway, you're not excused for not recognizing beautiful Jackie Groenen just because she wasn't tagged!

It's a longtime discussion here: FIFA rankings don't look accurate because they are updated each 3 months only: thus, when the last update was made, no one of the results you mention was included and Belgium hadn't beaten Norway yet.

You'll see that, come September, FIFA rankings will look much more realistic. If you're interested, some people are already making calculations on our FIFA World Rankings thread and it looks like Netherlands should have climbed to 6th/7th place.

I don't think it has anything to do with style of play. As far as I know, Gromit left for personal reasons, as well as Guignol and other French people; Debzy is going to do the same, although she stuck around here just for the Euro. Batfink is still posting on some threads, although he's been annoyed to death by other posters in others. Lechus7 and Shlj keep being quite active, don't they? :cautious:

Anyway, it's true that we lost many posters, but I guess this has much more to do with anagraphic reasons and with the surge of new social media than anything else. Also consider that we're in the middle of nothing, since 2017 is way far from both WWC and Olympics, that historically are the events attracting more people here. This Euro was more popular than ever, though, and I hope some of the new members who joined the women's forums will stick around for some longer, thus helping us wih the recent loss of old historical posters! :thumbsup:

gricio61 repped this.
  25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a thread for that!

And ... for more of that :D