WEURO 2017 - Final Match - Netherlands vs Denmark

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by blissett, Aug 4, 2017.

?

Who's going to be the new Champion?

Poll closed Aug 6, 2017.
  1. Netherlands

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Denmark

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or ... relieved that she doesn't have to beat out van de Sanden for a starting spot :eek:

She played in WWC'15, then retired before the UEFA playoffs for the last Rio'16 slot. So she already knew she would miss Rio, Euro qualifiers, and this Euro. 12 years of the grind ('04-'16) is a decent career.

Romario'sgurl, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Lieke Martens - first dual recipient of both Best Player of the Tournament and Best Hair.

jnielsen and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    At what? Earning the yellow teeth award?

[​IMG]

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    But at least Däbritz has better hygiene, whether it's brushing her teeth, or cleaning her backside. Däbritz has a great smile.

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I told you they would win!!

Now they have to go on and win the World Cup

6. The native English tribes should have bombarded the invading Vikings with Oranges.:pThat would have make them retreat;)

Essex and blissett repped this.
  7. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Any news about post-event reactions on media? Or any quotes from the players/coaches?

8. Yup, I had no expectations at all given previous matches before the EURO I saw. I was only hoping not to get embarrassed:oops:

9. From the Guardian:
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/06/womens-euro-2017-holland-denmark-match-report
    "The best was saved to last in the Netherlands as Euro17’s most exciting game proved both a peerless advertisement for women’s football and turned Holland into deserved, if surprise, continental champions.
    Vivianne Miedema scored twice for the Oranje but her outstanding contribution was simply one of many during a breathlessly exhilarating evening on which Denmark offered a masterclass in losing gallantly
    ."

CoachJon, gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't know Nils Nielsen is a Greenlander! :geek:

Best quote from the article:"Who needs Neymar?" :D

11. 6 Aug
    upload_2017-8-7_12-24-12.gif
    Getty Images

Liverpool and the Netherlands winger Shanice van de Sanden tells Channel 4: "I'm so emotional. This is amazing. I'm so proud of all the people.

"This is the biggest thing that can happen for women's football in Holland."

6 Aug

Arsenal and the Netherlands striker Vivianne Miedema tells Channel 4: "It is unbelievable. It was so hard today because Denmark did so well.

"We changed the game and I'm so proud. I'm so happy that we did it."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...rk-womens-euro-2017-final-live-score-updates/
    Holland 4 Denmark 2: Orange is the colour of Women's Euro 2017 as Dutch win thrilling finale

@Brilliant Dutch Do you have any idea what tune is ment?

This is the music of my nightmares
    #Netherlands celebrating. They go crazy when this hopping song comes on. No idea what it is #WEURO2017 pic.twitter.com/W8TNXplZAP

— Har Journalist (@HarJournalist) August 6, 2017

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...netherlands-denmark-women-final-a7879816.html

So the future really was orange, we just did not realise the gender would be female. While the once-lauded Dutch men’s team now struggle to even qualify for tournaments the women yesterday won the nation’s first trophy since 1988.

A dramatic, absorbing finale was finally settled when Arsenal’s Vivianne Miedema scored her second goal two minutes from time. With five wins from five this was a triumph as deserved as it was unexpected. A gender triumph, too, for Sarina Weigman, one of six female coaches in the 16-team tournament, who ensured the big prizes - World Cup, Olympics and Euros - remain in female coaches’ hands. But it was a triumph mostly for the Dutch women’s football, which now has a place in the hearts of a country that barely knew it existed four weeks ago.

12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    On the Uefa Euro 2017 website, the Best Eleven of the tournament have been disclosed: they include 5 Dutch players: Van Veenendaal, Dekker (?), Spitse, Groenen :inlove:, Martens.
    Miedema's and Van de Sanden's absences stand up.

Harder and Taylor are in. No Nadim. There is even a place for "old aunt" Aschauer (although, if I had to choose a player to represent Austria in the team, it would have been Zinsberger over Van Veenendaal).

Goalkeeper:
    Sari van Veenendaal (Netherlands)

Defenders:
    Lucy Bronze (England)
    Anouk Dekker (Netherlands)
    Steph Houghton (England)
    Verena Aschauer (Austria)

Midfielders:
    Theresa Nielsen (Denmark)
    Jackie Groenen (Netherlands)
    Sherida Spitse (Netherlands)
    Lieke Martens (Netherlands) - player of the tournament

Forwards:
    Pernille Harder (Denmark)
    Jodie Taylor (England)

UEFA technical observers: Patricia González (ESP) , Jarmo Matikainen (FIN), Anne Noé (BEL), Hesterine de Reus (NED)

CoachJon and gricio61 repped this.
  13. Well, Anouk in that list really is a surprise.

blissett repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    She was very good in the air. Dutch center backs pretty much cleared all high balls. Perhaps that is what the technical committee looked at.

15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Some TV ratings for the final:

In Denmark: 1 469 000
    In Sweden 501 000 (1st half), 740 000 (2nd half)
    In Finland: 424 000

Danish team's homecoming.

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Denmark put up a really good fight though. Respect to them

CoachJon repped this.
  17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #192 hotjam2, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    this would be my all-star, team

GK......................................Zinsberger(AU)

DF....Bronze(EN)..........Boye(DE)..........Wenninger(AU).............Philjens(BE)

MD..........Paz(SP).......................Harder(DE)....................Abily(FR)

FW.........van de Sanden(NE)......Taylor(EN)....................Materns(NE)

coach................................Wegman(NE)

18. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    The Netherlands was great. But were they able to defeat germany?A good german team, not the german team against denmark.

Germany has no arguments. They have not reached the final. This is pure speculation. For this reason, the Netherlands is the deserved European champion.

But in 2 years is the World Cup. The Germans are not satisfied with their results and performence. They will probably not present themselves again so badly.

Perhaps the Netherlands in 2 years has the opportunity to show that they can beat Germany. That they have overtaken Germany.

19. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Germany would've lost like with a tons of goals if they met the Dutch

I don't think and hope I'll ever see Germany play so awful again, and I'm sure they'll be stronger to the world cup (by just bench Peter/Henning forever). I also want Germany to play with wingers.... meh we'll see if Steffi gets to continue in her job

20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    No way Sara Däbritz is losing the hair contest. Still the best ponytail out there. :coffee:

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    she's a multiple award winner, for years she won the Johnny Depp look-alike-contest!
    Denmark's #10, that would be...........oh yeah, Pernile Harder!
    the Dutch are a very deep team. some players that didn't get much playing time. Dutch league leading goal scorers, Janssen & Beerenstyeen. Defensive ace, Zeeman, A Jenson who was Arsenal's 2nd leading scorer from her FB slot. The two I'm really hype about is 20 year old Jill Roord who scored a great individual goal to kick Bayern Munich out of the CL. 10 to 45 second mark of this video

and another 20 year old, Lindsey Keizerweed who's yet to make the NT

Frysk Bloed and gricio61 repped this.
  22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #198 blissett, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Wow, the level of enthousiasm is incredible! And what a crowd, with little girls, teen-agers and grown-ups alike: the way they were welcomed you would believe that they've won the final instead of losing it! :geek: I like this display of sportsmanship and this kind of support for women's football! :)

Also, the Tivoli-Tur reminds me of the only time I went in Copenhagen, more than 20 years ago. :giggle:

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  24. The Danish women deserve that. They fought with their whole body and soul to win, so must be payed that due respect:thumbsup:

gricio61, Romario'sgurl and blissett repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    An homage that I found on YT to Lieke Martens, MVP of the tournament, for @CoachJon and all of Lieke's fans out there. :giggle: The video is from a week ago, though, and needs to be updated with new achievements from semifinal + final! :p

Orange14, gricio61 and CoachJon repped this.