Westworld Season 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Dante, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really looking forward to this, plus Samuraiworld!!

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So it looks like the robots spill into the real world after an attempt to push them back into their world fails?

3. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Samurai world is officially known as, Shogun World.

Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so that was an interesting episode. At times I found myself sucked in and at times I found myself losing interest. Still, there's a lot to process.

Towards the end, at the lake/ocean part when they came across all of the floating hosts they focused on one host in particular, who was that? Teddy?

6. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The review I read said it was Teddy, but I couldn't tell at the time. I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, but I'm already in the tank for this show. I think it introduced some new threads to continue along that are intriguing.

I got a good laugh out of the meta-commentary of Maeve forcing the writer to fully undress taking on the complaints against this and other HBO shows of only showing women nude. Thandie Newton's look was just like "Nope. F* that."

superdave repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So it's clear that we are once again working with several time lines. The two Bernard time lines and the Dolores time-line. I think the Man in Black is working on roughly the same time line as Dolores, as is Maeve.

I have a question about the woman who led the ambush on the group that arrived at the jeep (with Bernard and Hale watching from a safe distance) and then also was the one who arrived to fetch Dolores and Teddy near the end of the episode. I think I know her from season one but I can't remember what she was or did back then.

8. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I believe she was the one that was leading Teddy and the MiB into the Wyatt storyline as a phony damsel in distress. I'm thinking she was the intro robot who met young William at the train and had him pick a hat too. My guess is she let the one human go to lead them to the outpost (elevator to the network), which is what she's reporting to Dolores they've found.

I think the opening was still Arnold (pre-park timeline). Then there is the immediate aftermath of the gala and the arrival of Delos two-weeks later timelines. It looks like we'll be adding the younger William timeline soon too.

Belgian guy repped this.
  9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I forgot about the Arnold flashback at the very beginning, which means we saw three different Bernard timelines in this opening episode.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that there was a scene where there was a dead female topless host laying on the floor. It was gratuitous.

Quango repped this.
  11. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Floki was the only thing that was interesting!

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously multiple timelines going on. Wonder if we are seeing both human-Bernard and host-Bernard scenes.

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is he the new Bossman?

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    We saw one Arnold scene at the very beginning.
    The other two Bernard time-lines are both robot Bernard.
    One is before the disaster that killed most of the hosts, the other after.

15. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The showrunners are trying to point something out when they focus on his right hand. Shaking hand is host-Bernard, and whatever he injected himself with prolonged his shutdown/death.

16. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked to me like he was "bleeding" out of his ear, and he was essentially slowly bleeding to death. My guess he has no way to fix the problem at the moment, and he can't have anyone else find out he's a host, so he took some of the fluid from the other host and injected it into himself. That's gonna have to be a recurring thing though until he can stop the bleeding.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    So did Teddy and Angela get the tech to max out their "gunslinger" stat? Their dispatching of the Confederates was next level shit.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think that accounts for Dolores' confidence.

I'm not sure about the episode. There's a fine line between treating your audience as intelligent, in not spoon-feeding them...and being an incoherent disjointed mess.

Episode 2, IMO, set up things, but that's it. There better be a payoff.

I was very excited to see Giancarlo Espisito, one of my favorite actors. Then I was very pissed to see him delete himself after like 3 minutes on screen.

Also, can we please tone down the monologuing? Kthxbye.

PS...I wonder if it's a happy coincidence wrt current events that the Big Secret is that Delos is engaged in next-level data mining, or just luck? I think it's just luck because they set this up in Season One which was planned and filmed before the Fake News political story and all the Cambridge Analytica stuff became even a background story. (It's really prominent NOW, within the last few months, but for a political junkie like me, it's been in the ether for a year+ now.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked that behind the scenes look at how West World came to be with the funding, etc.

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The thing I didn't buy was Billy Russo (I always forget his name on "Westworld") not guessing that Angela was the host. If anything, she had acted most like a host out of all of the people at that little party, and even before that, when she and Hanzee (again I don't know his "Westworld" name) had approached him at the club.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

1. Talulah Riley is purdie
    2. I honestly can't say if I prefer her as "corporate femme fatale" or "crazy cowgirl" :eek:

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you're saying. To me, that segment was telling us that the meeting happened in, say, 2028, not 2082 or far in the future. The reason I thought that was because Logan was so sure he would be able to tell, and was so stunned at how realistic the Hosts were. He was expecting very clumsy, obvious hosts.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, but that's my thinking. The show asks the viewer to make a whole bunch of inferences.

Belgian guy repped this.
  23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the most recent time-line is definitely meant to be the near-future. My guess is like 15-20 years into the future. Close enough to our time that a lot of stuff is at the very least still familiar or similar.

I saw one critic mention that the big difference between season one and season two is that season two seems less made for Reddit and I kind of get what she meant by that. It's definitely less of a show about theorizing what the hell is going on and more of a straightforward drama. Remember how we went over some segments like it was the Zapruder film last year?

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I just remembered that Talulah Riley was in a scene that was almost a perfect equivalent to her scene in "Westworld" this week when she had a small supporting role in "Inception" and I'm now wondering if that was a conscious reference by the showrunners and writers.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Perhaps I'm overanalyzing things again, but should we read anything into the fact that Dolores was wearing the same dress that Angela wore when she greeted William when he first arrived at Westworld? Or is that just a coincidence? Or does it merely mean that at that point in time, she was the hostess to greet the visitors who had just arrived at the park?