Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit to FC Dallas for helping this kid to develop.

HartwickFan, Dervos, sakibomb523 and 4 others repped this.
  2. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is definitely playing as the pressing forward on offense and ball chaser defensively.

Tedesco's 3-4-3 looks very good with a mobile back 3 and Bentaleb and Goretzka anchoring the middle of the park. If that scheme continues then Weston will be in a position to continue to get garbage minutes since unlike Geis, Weston is a viable replacement for either B or G without having to change the scheme because Weston has a similar style while Geis is more of a deep lying distributor.

KenC repped this.
  3. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone troll some German boards to get a reaction?

5. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Is Schalke in the Dembele market now too? :p

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong thread lol.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  7. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Yes, the threads can be too easily tangled on days like these.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume you mean the national team senior squad, but I don't think anyone is suggesting he should be called up for the September qualifiers.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen suggestions. Look at the Costa Rica pre-game thread for example. I was arguing with Eleven Bravo there about it. His reasoning was something about him getting acclimated to the team. I pointed out we should wait because of numerous other cautionary tales recently, i.e.: Gooch, Green, CCV, etc. In his case we wouldn't even have a chance to cap-tie him. IMO it's completely pointless if he wouldn't play to shake out nerves and there are 15+ cm's more reliable than he'd be to possible contribute in the games themselves and start/further the integration process.

I don't think he should be seriously considered until about November, in a friendly, if he's a rotational player for that long who looks like he belongs at Schalke. That's plenty of time to integrate him before the WC, if that would indeed be the appropriate action for him.

Dignan repped this.
  10. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good alcohol.

11. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted, limited action in a wrong position, but I was impressed, having not seen him previously. He was cool, a very good header (he won at least 3 headers from defenders, not an easy task, and well above the norm for attackers) and those headers were well directed. One was angled to a teammate on the left who was not aggressive on the ball (chickened out, actually) and missed a real opportunity. WM had one outstanding dribble, maintaining the ball through 3-4 attempted tackles followed by a long diagonal ball successfully placed to the attacking right in good position. I look forward to see him playing as a midfielder.

12. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas is a central midfield factory. Ulloa, Acosta, Hyndman and McKennie.

Eighteen Alpha and LouisZ repped this.
  13. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    nothing really....

14. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was limited minutes at a wrong position but I think it will improve his overall game. We know his defensive game is very good, playing higher up allows him to get a better confidence in his attacking game. I like what the coach is doing with him.

15. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    One poster on the Schalke board called him "Pogba-like" after his nice run out of danger

HartwickFan repped this.
  16. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I tell you what if we get six points in September I want him in camp for Panama in Orlando.

Eighteen Alpha and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Pomykal

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  18. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    To be fair - Pomykal is more of an attacker than a CM. He has a much greater chance ending up as one of the 3 playing underneath the attacker than he does a 6 or an 8.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost included Pomykal but also decided he's not just / only a CM like the others. Ferreira may also be a mid but he's more of a winger / outside mid.

20. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    He plays set a little deeper, but can only be relied in to defend in support rather than as a ball winner.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's a #10, but I think Hyndman's also a #10, so I think they both go under the CM list, as a CAM is still a CM.

22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tedesco getting praise for his scheme.

"The coach set us up fantastically well," said midfielder Leon Goretzka, unprompted. Keeper Ralf Fährmann, too, called Tedesco's match plan "the key to success."

Schalke withstood Leipzig's considerable pressure thanks to precise movement of the defensive lines and choreographed counter-attacks that visibly accelerated their play in the final third.

http://www.espnfc.us/german-bundesl...while-dortmund-thrill-without-ousmane-dembele

McHead on Pulisic and Weston at 1:50
    http://www.espnfc.us/german-bundesliga/10/index

Namdynamo, ebbro, m vann and 4 others repped this.
  23. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    James Thorogood of bundesliga.com just said on the Football Show that McKennie "impressed mightily" in his ten minutes or so on the pitch.

24. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Did he though? That may be overstatement. I am as high on Mckennie as everyone else but I watched his 16 min cameo last night and he looked...like a dmid playing out of position. He chased, harassed and played or what I assume was his responsibility (defensive no 10/9) but there was not a ton to be done from that position.

Hard to say, at least for me, that he thoroughly impressed.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, though his dribble through traffic was impressive and he won a few balls in the air. I liked the manger's approach for a first game - 2-goal lead, get him on the field where he can't do a lot of damage with a mistake. But as the minutes went on, Weston looked more and more unsure of what he was supposed to do in an unfamiliar spot.

bsky22 repped this.