Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a debut for Schalke at 18 is no joke as far as Americans go. Quite impressive. Could be a regular next season as a 19 yr old. That places him well in front of the American curve.

Interesting we're looking for a Jones NT replacement and it very well might come from Schalke.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think he's better than Stambouli, the idiot who got sent off today.

If given the chance, I think he could take his spot for next season, but there's no guarantee that the coach is going to freeze out a veteran, and give a spot to an inexperienced player.

3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Saw that Kolasinac is a free agent, that's good news as Schalke will need to spend their precious transfer dollars on a new left back, potentially mitigating the chances of them looking to upgrade their midfield.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think what would really accelerate his chances at playing time is if Goretzka leaves. He's been rumored to join Bayern. If that happens, and they don't bring in any replacements, thats a definite starter leaving at McKennie's position with no replacements. Even if they do bring in a replacement, he's likely not going to be as much of a certainty for getting minutes ahead of McKennie as Goretzka is.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly Schalke thinks much of him. But he has to earn his spot. Much like Pulisic, he's on a deep team with options, and nothing will be given to him.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Completely agree. Pulisic is excellent, but people forget that he had perfect conditions. Had an EU passport (could go to Europe earlier), got promoted way earlier than most would under his situation, had a coach who wanted to play him right away to get him experience, his debut season was during a time where Dortmund had a lot of matches, didn't have that many options in front of him the first season he was trying to break through. It was pretty much perfect conditions. For McKennie (and Wright), I'm not sure its really perfect conditions. Its not awful conditions, but not great. Schalke has probably the fewest games next season that they'd had in any recent season since they aren't playing in Europe. I believe Weston (and Haji) are individually good enough to earn playing time if given a chance next season, but I'm not so sure the type of chance Pulisic got will come.

I would like to see Weston (and Haji) go out on loan next season. It'd be great if they got regular playing time next season with Schalke, but the way its looking, that probably won't be happening. It would be selfish of me to say that I want them to remain at Schalke next season so the name Schalke is attached to their resume. I'm sure they want to break through as professionals, and just being realistic, they probably have a better chance of that elsewhere, even if its a 2. Bundesliga club. But its good that they were both promoted by Schalke to the first team and Weston got a debut today. It shows that they are highly rated, and the club at least considers them as players who could eventually be regulars for them.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Counterfacutals are impossible to prove.

Obviously it's a great sign, but let's not engage in premature jocularity. It makes a mess.

8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Another Pro/Rel comment. Wrong thread. ;)

Starman*, Gorky, DeCoverley and 2 others repped this.
  9. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Westonphalia: McKennie at Schalke 04.

10. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sending up the batsignal on graduation day @bungadiri

11. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One possibility we are under rating: he's just plain better than the current options.schalke view him as an option right now. I don't think they will loan him.

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding

TheFalseNine and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie is said to be strong aerially, so hopefully he scores a few with his head so we can go with Set Peace of Westonphalia.

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On his few touches he just looked powerful on the ball. More athletic than the majority of the field for sure. At 18.

HartwickFan and DeCoverley repped this.
  15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Any touch by touch video of McKennie's action. Didn't see the game.

Lookingforleftbacks, Gacm32 and TxEx repped this.
  17. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Absolutely over the moon for this boy.

We need more youth to take this path, or at least attempt to. To come to Europe without a European passport is not an easy thing to do. In less than 1 years time, McKennie has gone from playing U17/U18 DA in front of parents to making his debut in the Bundesliga for one of the bigger clubs in Europe.

He took a huge gamble turning down a HG contract with an MLS club to prove that he could make it in Europe. Once a teenager is given a debut in Europe, it is easy for them to think they have made it - I don't think McKennie will be that player and he will continue to push on and become an important part of Schalke's set up.

I hope he continues to make strides in his career and gets some games next season with the first team. I also hope Arena gives him a look, and I am excited at the prospect of a McKennie/Kellyn Acosta partnership for many years to come for the US.

DHC1, Winoman, justinpaul10 and 2 others repped this.
  18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on mods we gotta move his thread the DAY he gets first team minutes.

Gacm32 repped this.
  19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be a very short video. He hardly got on the ball.

21. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    behold:

http://streamable/2ndxl

Winoman, HartwickFan, ielag and 5 others repped this.
  22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri repped this.
  23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  24. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a young player who was eager to make something happen. He was running everywhere

jjmack and HartwickFan repped this.