Spaghetti Weston: McKennie at Juventus

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by hokeydokey, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    It looks like McKennie got the assist on the first goal, as he put a long throw straight into the box for the Schalke scorer to head home.

2. LandonDonovan2018

Dec 29, 2016
    He is also credited with the assist on the opening goal for Schalke. A beast of a throw in lead to Boujellab's head. 1-0 on the day, 4-1 on aggregate.

Match is streaming here:

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Damn, going to penalties.

4. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Seems like McKennie is the target on free kicks/corners more often than not. Really explosive in the air.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what strategy Schalke was trying to employ, or if there even was a strategy, but it made for a lot of 1 v 3s for Haji and McKennie was constantly trying to organize the back to no avail

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bayern wins. 5-4 on penalties.

7. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Holy shit what a brutal way to lose. Bayern's 5th attempt went off the crossbar, off the diving keeper's back and into the net.

Winoman and LandonDonovan2018 repped this.
  8. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Highly questionable tactics from Schalke - sitting and inviting Bayern to get the equalizer, which they did.

McKennie played the last half hour almost as a third CB and Schalke was outnumbered in midfield.

9. dd601

dd601 Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Weston was the best player in the first half. Does their loss mean they can go play for U20.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, Sciaretta said Weston might, although they'll probably have to announce an injury for that to happen.

11. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    864530235554922496 is not a valid tweet id

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! Looking forward to seeing this kid play for the first time.

13. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Make it your second.

Anderson11 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would but my schedule is just PACKED.

SUDano repped this.
  15. kingshark

kingshark Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    I cannot watch the entire match, so I have to ask someone who watched some of his games: What is his playing styles? What about comparing to Edu?

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Comparing him to American CM's doesn't do his ability justice. He's more talented than any American CM I've seen play.

He's an absolute monster. Excellent tackler, great in the air, really athletic, good motor, good passer (both short, medium range, and long diagonal passes), and he has a nice shot. I don't think he's bad at anything, as consistent as any player you will find from how Schalke fans describe his play this season.

Arturo Vidal is who I'd compare him to.

17. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I've only watched the first half, but Vidal seems to be a good comparison (albeit in a tiny sample size for me). He really was everywhere in the first half. Dude is a beast in the air, and really drove play forward by dribbling through midfield a few times. I was surprised by his speed with the ball at his feet. Anyone know Schalke's CM depth chart?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its pretty deep.

Goretzka, Bentaleb and Geis are all very good. And they also have Stambouli who can do a job.

Goretzka was rumored to be joining Bayern though, so if that happens, it could open up some more playing time.

They don't have any CM's besides those four though, so there might be room for another CM next season, but it's not going be easy to earn a lot of playing time at Schalke in CM.

19. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I was impressed by how the ball was glued to his feet on those surging runs through the midfield, looked like CP when he was dribbling by 4 players and they just seemed to fall away unable to keep up with his pace.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  20. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would people rather see him get 3 games at the u20 World Cup, or a 90 minute debut with Schalke?

I'd go with Schalke debut. Hope that's in the cards for him.

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90 at schalke means much more.

22. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'd rather him get at least 3 games with the u20s. I feel like his debut with the Schalke first team is inevitable so I'd rather he had the experience of playing in a meaningful tournament. I think traveling and playing for your country on the other side of the world would be both rewarding and an invaluable learning experience. Plus, he was hurt this year so I'd rather he got as many competitive games as possible.

I realize that I'm likely in the minority here but that's just how I see it. I don't think a Schalke match between scrubs and kids is going to be as good for him as the WC. Especially cuz I think he has a shot at first team minutes early next season.

23. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I think he'll be getting more than 3 games with U20's and I don't think he'll get a full 90 with Schalke.
    Selfishly I want to see him get 4+ games at the U20s for the US because he can't get that back. He'll start getting his 90s with Schalke hopefully next year after earning it with games that matter as opposed to getting thrown a bone for a single end of season game that means nothing.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If the game actually meant something and he earned the time for the first team. Essentially the game is a friendly exhibition and not taken seriously because it means nothing in the standings.

25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While German teams like to recognize up-and-coming players with an appearance in the last few games of the season, it would be pretty rare to give someone from the youth squads a full 90. 30 minutes might be more realistic and that is a long-shot.

Tom Collingsworth and SUDano repped this.