Westfield W-League 2017/2018

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by BlueCrimson, Aug 8, 2017.

1. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    with the new season just a few weeks away. I've heard of couple of new signees;

Lisa Devanna joins FC Sydney

Emily van Edmond joins Newcastle United

Raquel Rodriguez joins Perth Glory

couple of things to look forward for this season.will Haley Raso continue her success like her phenom/breakout season with the Portland Thorns?(she only scored 2 goals last season for the Roar)

will Alana Kennedy get to be a midfielder?(as she played so superb that spot, late in the season for the Orlando Pride)

a couple of articles, Devanna picks her choices for the next 'Sam Kerr'
    https://www.w-league.com.au/news/who-next-sam-kerr-lisa-de-vanna-reveals-seven-future-stars

and here's a story on my last year's pick as an upcoming star, Adriana Jones. Apparently she went on to play in China, not sure if she's coming back to Adeleide though
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/4624252/adriana-stays-on-target-in-china-photos/

3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I heard that Yukari Kinga signed for a Melbourne team this season: is it true? Which one? :cautious:

Also, when @SiberianThunderT is supposed to be back here? :D

4. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinga is joining the Evil Empire that is City.

blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, so she turned to the Dark Side? :ninja:

6. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Internationals per team as of today-

Adelaide: Danielle Colaprico, Makenzy Doniak, Alyssa Mautz, Katie Naughton
    Brisbane: Celeste Boureille, Wai Ki, Carson Pickett
    Canberra: Laura Bassett, Kendall Fletcher, Haley Kopmeyer, Toni Pressley
    Melbourne City: Lauren Barnes, Jess Fishlock, Ashley Hatch, Yukari Kinga
    Melbourne Victory: Natasha Dowie, Jeon Ga-Eul, Christina Gibbons, Kristen McNabb
    Newcastle: Britt Eckerstrom, Arin Gilliland, Tori Huster, Katie Stengel
    Perth: Amanda Frisbie, Rachel Hill, Raquel Rodriguez, Nikki Stanton
    Sydney: Emily Sonnett
    WS Wanderers: Lee Falkon, Lo'eau LaBonta, Marlous Pieete, Maruschka Waldus

Meh on Sydney only getting one international so far.

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news: W-League matches will be available to stream at https://www.oz.com/

Bad news: It's not free. You can pay 2.99 for one game or 4.99 for a monthly pass.

blissett repped this.
  8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, the bad news are worse than the good news to me. I am interested to the league, but not enough to pay-per-view. To me, it's one of the many leagues I follow.

Should we at least get highlights of the games for free? :cautious:

9. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official site might have highlights up later.

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First match of the 2017/2018 season is in the books. Brisbane comes away with a 3-1 (should have been 2-1, because Allira Toby Maradona-d the ball over the line on her first goal) win over Sydney. Katrina Gorry scored after 17 seconds, and Toby got the third. Emily Sonnett converted a penalty for Sydney's lone tally.

blissett repped this.
  11. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My experience with the online stream was okay. We missed the first 20 minutes due to technical issues, but once those got sorted out, it worked fine and the quality was quite good. And the commentary was loads better than the NWSL usually gives us.

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's a little info on the game
    http://us.women.soccerway.com/match...a/w-league/sydney-fc/queensland-roar/2588544/

I know Kennedy left for CU, but ain't Sydney supposed to have Devanna & Foord? Guess Logarzo high tailed herself out before the freezing Norwegian winter sets in! lol

Brisbane; so Raso's going to be a fullback?(crying shame!) Good catch with Boureille, she was really underused in Portland. If I remember one game last season where they should every stat from every single player, she led both teams, especially in tackles & completed passes(think it was CU vs MC). Toby seems to be a promising prospect, couldn't find any vid on her goals, but did get this, darn, very exotic look!

13. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foord is still in Japan, but is expected to join Sydney once the season is over there. De Vanna is with Sydney now, but she was suspended for this game due to her actions in last year's semifinal. And Raso definitely was NOT playing fullback. She was a forward.

14. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nadeshiko League is already over; the last act of Japanese season is Empress' Cup, from 28th of October (tomorrow) to 24th of December. Not sure if Foord signed to stay until the end of this competition. Anyway, it's a direct elimination tournament, so it could be over earlier than 24th of December for Foord, if Vegalta Sendai Ladies (her team) shouldn't reach the final.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perth coming out on fire, knocking off City 4-1. Sam Kerr got the party started early for the Glory, Kyah Simon equalized early in the second half, then a brace by Rachel Hill sandwiched around a Nicola Bolger goal ensured all 3 points went to the home side.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Aussie Legue always have the highest scores: when are the 10-1s and 9-2s coming? :rolleyes:

17. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those games are extremely rare.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #18 SiberianThunderT, Oct 27, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Fun facts: of the five games where the total number of goals scored was 10 or more (a set which includes the only three matches with a GD of 8 or more), four of the matches were a Sydney team hosting the Perth Glory. The fifth match was WSW (Sydney team again!) visiting Adelaide.
    You should know I comb these forums very carefully! I've been watching the thread since it was first posted. I just didn't have anything to comment on until TRIVA-MODE-STT was called on. X-D

=EDIT=
    Fun facts continued:
    --That Adelaide 10-2 WSW match was the ONLY game in the past two years to see a GD of 6 or more (previous one was SFC 0-6 MCFC on Oct 18th, 2015)
    --The lone game with the sixth-highest aggregate score (9 goals) was ALSO Perth visiting - just this time to Canberra instead of Sydney
    --Adelaide 10-2 WSW and Canberra 7-2 Perth happened on the SAME DAY
    --While matches with a GD of 4 happen with some regularity (once or twice a month?), matches with a GD of 5 or more are relatively rare - 3 last season, 1 the season before, 3 in the just-2014 season, and 3 the season before that.

blissett and BlueCrimson repped this.
  19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vividly remember that night. Everyone was freaking out over Canberra crushing Perth, and then it kind of got forgotten about when a then-winless Adelaide just went HAM on the Wanderers. it was a very fun night.

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They can be rare, but I've got the impression that last year there were a lot of them. Or if not a lot of those specifically (the ones with 10+ goals), at least I seem to remember some number of 7-1s or such.

Thus I appeal for TRIVA-MODE-STT: how many games, in last W-League season had one of the teams score 7 goals or more?

21. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jumping in for STT- just the two games he mentioned before.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  22. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a game that was largely controlled by Canberra, it was the Victory who came away with all 3 points. Kristen McNabb gave the Victory a quick lead, but Michelle Heyman added to her all time record goal tally for a deserved equalizer. Natasha Dowie restored the Victory's lead in the second half and Canberra could not break the Victory bunker and left empty handed.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #23 hotjam2, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  24. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final match of the round saw Newcastle claim 3 points from the Wanderers. A terrible bit of miscommunication between Ellie Brush and Trudy Burke gifted the opening goal to Katie Stengel, which would have gone down as a Brush OG had Stengel not tapped it in right before it crossed the line. Erica Halloway was able to find an equalizer late in the second half, but Jenna Kingsley restored Newcastle's lead almost immediately.

Controversial end to the game as the Wanderers had earned a corner with one minute of the minimum amount of stoppage time left, and had a good chance of getting another equalizer, but the official elected to end the game before they could take it, costing them that opportunity. Could be a major talking point if Newcastle ends up squeaking into the top 4 at the end of the season.

25. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm going to relish the fact that City is officially at the very bottom of the standings for as looooooong as I can!

BlueCrimson repped this.