Wendy Gebauer Palladino

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Jul 3, 2004.

1. cordovainc

cordovainc BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 21, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    BUNKER BUNKER BUNKER lol

Wendy gets into the same repeating rut as Beth Mowins does. I would like to see Joe Tolleson get a game or two to call. As a Metrostars fan I get too much of JP and don't think much of him as an announcer.

Anyone listen to the job Beth Mowins and Anson Dorrance did during the Philadelphia v San Jose game last week? It was so bad I was about to put in a MC Hammer CD and listen to the game with no audio. I mean yes it was one sided on the pitch but did it need to be repeated over and over again? At one point near the end of the match they showed the game summary/tale of the tape and all the stats were about even and the biggest difference was shots on goal (PHI 7 SJ 5) and still Anson was like, look at those stats, Philadelphia is dominating. Jokes about San Jose being glad Pichon and Smith are out of the game ect really got to me.

Anyway I view soccer color commentary as nothing more then the play by play announcers "Yes Man". Listen to Eric Wynalda, nothing the announcer says is wrong, and nothing the national teams do is wrong.

Either get a color commentator who can make a criticism here and there or get a play by play announcer to carry the full load. Enough of this era of every sport needing people to overanalyze everything especially when you have someone who doesn’t, or cant criticize the play on the field or the actions and decisions off the field.

Crazy Larry
    Women's US National Team @ CORDOVA Inc.
    http://www.cordovainc.com/wusnt

2. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    It would also be nice to have someone to comment on roster selections. No one has yet explained why Siri is on Ape's S list.or why it is wise to select an inexperienced keeper ...the shoulder is not the reason...so what is? No one comments on why April cannot keep assistant coaches. And as some have already said no one says we suck when we clearly do....someone mentioned Harry Carry, the homer-but even he would express disgust and disappointment when his team played like ass....

3. cordovainc

Oct 21, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    BUNKER. There has to be people left off the roster. As far as Siri is concerned didn't you hear Beth Mowins say that "Because of the WUSA Luckenbill gets a chance at the national team" 34 times? BUNKER.

So imagine Scurry hurting herself in group play. Am I convinced that Luckenbill is the next best US goalkeeper?

Luckenbill might have done good blocking shots from Jacqui Little, Emily Janss, Stacy Tullock ect. But here comes Lundberg and Svennson (sp?) with the ball and we are tied 1-1 in the 89th minute in the quarterfinals.

I feel like Siri and Briana are 1 and 1a.

April has her own agenda and I would like to hear legitamate explanations why people get picked over others. Lets leave happyland, where everything is great and no one can do wrong, and enter the real world where people are able to critisize decsions others make.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It could be as simple as Luckenbill has been very impressive. The fact is, barring injury or suspension, Scurry will likely play every minute of every game in the Olympics regardless of who the backup is.

5. cordovainc

Oct 21, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    So she was impressive in practice and in the few games she has been is she has managed to go 2-0-1 with 1 goal against in 262 minutes.

Siri is 4-0 with 3 shutouts in 2004.

Where is the line that says someone can make a roster spot based on 4 career caps and a player can lose it based on a 4-0 2004 record with 3 shutouts.

Crazy Larry

6. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nobody is entitled to any position.

8. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

9. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    Nor is anyone is entitled to play for a decent sane coach if they choose to play on the WNT.

MRAD12, I disagree about Siri. I think lucks is a great person, a pretty damn good WUSA goalie, but someone who is untested on the international level, whose read of the game at that level is unproven, and whose claim to fame is shotblocking, and not much more. Believe me, I pray that she has actually put in so much development since coming from the slopes of ski instructing to camp this spring, that she just knocked Siri out of the water. But frankly I don't believe it. Truth is, when April gets pissed off at you, all logical bets are off. And if April becomes enamored of you for some reason, likewise.

The question however, was, why don't we get any discussion from the 2 talking heads at espn about what is a major development: Our longtime keeper, then backup keeper, now cannot even make it as an alternate. Sorry, but WTF?

10. cordovainc

Oct 21, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Melissa Moore

No one is entitled to any position you are right (ask Shannon MacMillan), all I am asking is for a legitamite reason why Siri is off the team and Luckenbill is on it.

Experience favors Siri
    2004 stats favor Siri
    Total stats favor Siri

The answer I am looking for isnt gonna come from any post or opinion on this board I guess. Why can't April just say that the descion is based on a nagging injury, poor attitute, better skills, work ethic ect.

And, as said before, how can our future goal keeper, win the starting job at the last Olympics, goes to 2 WUSA championships winning 1, keeps on winning when she starts, and gets left off the team.

I buy the fact that Scurry won back the starting position but I dunno, guess I just am frustrated that there is never an answer as why.

Bah I'm gonna reread all the press releases and articles about the Olympic roster, maybe I missed something.

Crazy Larry

11. cordovainc

Oct 21, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    HA! First article I read is one saying that April named Hope Solo as the alt. Goalkeeper.

Crazy Larry

12. Heartplay

Heartplay New Member

May 21, 2003
    Texas
    I understand from casual conversation that Ape in part blames Siri for the loss in the Oly final in 2000 for not stopping the Norwegian hand-shot in OT. She claimed that the problem was that Siri was inexperienced (who else did we have). And now she takes Lucks who is experienced (huh)? The comment that Ape is illogical says it all. You can't tell what is right, wrong or otherwise with Ape. I'm not sure the players do either - even the Eternals. It must be hell trying to play for her.

13. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Could we please stick to the question. Should Wendy start doing play by play of soccer soon?

14. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

sure, but i believe any former soccer player can do it, even myself

15. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    :rolleyes:

16. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    No.

17. Dartsoc

Dartsoc New Member

May 16, 2004
    Not sure how one goes from commenting about Wendy in the booth to Kristin in goal, but having watched Luckenbill play and beat Mia, Abby and Siri in The Founders Cup in Atlanta I think she will prove to one and all she can play, if in fact, she hasn't already. An intersting consideration I might add, because beat out Brente Norby with Carolina, then the number one keeper in the world, Lucks got to practice every day against shots from Fotopolious (sp) and Prinz (sp) who might be two of the toughest shots in the game.

GO USA!!!!!!!