Well, There's This: DC United vs D.A.R. :: Sun 6/21/15 :: 5pm Local

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It was an ugly win for sure. As we left yesterday, Fatbastard and I were saying that this is the "worst first place team ever."

But thinking about it today, I am a bit more optimistic. We have 2 good goalkeepers, 3 solid center backs, 3 good central midfielders, Espindola and Rolfe up top. That is a really strong lineup through the middle of the team. The fullbacks and outside midfielders are not as strong, but not a total disaster, either. All we need is for a couple of guys to get hot and start scoring goals regularly, and we are actually pretty good by MLS standards (which admittedly do not include beauty). Espy now leads the team in assists even though he has hardly played and Rolfe seems to be gtting back on track. Somebody else needs to get into the picture as a scoring threat so the other team can't focus on those two so much. Arrieta? Silva? Coria? It's good to have options.

2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    What makes it difficult for us (or at least me) to to get my head around the fact that this is a good team is that it is built totally different from any other winning DC United team and probably different from any other winning MLS team.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a team built to qualify for the CCL either by winning the Shield or the East regular season.

But if this team can win the Cup, I don't see it. Olsen just isn't going to make the changes necessary to win a pair of two legged series.

Biggest problem? Our wide attackers are poor* and the team doesn't think so.

The depth and defense dictates that we won't have any prolonged slumps so unless TFC figures it out and gets hot we'll be tops in the East. But no way we win 3 playoff rounds.

*If Silva and Espy start up top and Rolfe out wide, then we're tolerable. But Olsen won't do that.

4. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    The future of MLS ...

5. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Olsen can't do that because of our outside backs. Not sure if it was Korb or NDL that lost their man in the 22nd Minute, but pretty sure it is Korb who is way out of position and looks like a deer-in-the-headlights. It was close to an early 2-0 lead for NE.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Never, ever pick the handsome strong young dude in a fight against an old guy with a razor blade in his shoe.

asitis, Boloni86 and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, Happy 35th Birthday, Davy Arnaud. His fitness and aggressiveness are not in question, but an upgrade in central midfield which would make Davy a late-game sub could pay dividends. I've made it clear I want to see more of Halsti, but that's more due to his good soccer brain and instincts than to his ability to boss the midfield. He's not particularly fast and doesn't have a quick first step, but he knows where to look when he has the ball. Other than him, I don't see an obvious replacement for Davy; certainly no one who could play as a genuine #10 (if that's what Ben wants). Silva was pretty good playing under the forwards last year, but doesn't seem to be the same player (yet) this year. Rolfe would be excellent, as long as he is able to stay high,but Davy is often required to drop back, especially now that Kitchen is more inclined to venture forward. Coria? - Maybe. Martin? Maybe some day. Doyle? Not a chance, although I am not as down on him as many others.

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one word - parity.

this team has good chemistry ... they fight .. but joga bonita it isn't.

Winoman repped this.
  9. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Disagree. Chicago is the more winnable game.

that being said, I see Olsen making about 3-4 changes for both games while keeping the goal and back line intact. Defenders and goalkeepers don't need rest like mids and forwards do. If a particular defender has a shocking match on Wednesday then sure, pull the trigger for TFC.

I expect Olsen will go with a mainly full-strength side on Wednesday (Halsti in for Arnaud as he's YC suspended). might want to give Aguilar a run out with the top players too.

Rolfe missed the last Chicago game thru suspension. I'm sure he's dying to play in this game..

Winoman repped this.
  10. dcjeffc

dcjeffc Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I went back and forth in my head. I think we'd rather draw against both than win against Chicago and lose to TFC. Losing to both would be atrocious which is a possibility if we start the B team in Chicago against Chicago's A-team coming off a bye weekend. It's a tough situation for Ben.

11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arrieta was leading scorer before yesterday...issue is he's really a poacher so it's hard to see him as a threat if there is no team behind him

I'm not gonna check all the games, but wasn't this happening last year? I know for sure that Silva and Espindola partnered a lot because they had the BFF article about them, and I'm almost certain that was pre-Rolfe's broken arm, and he wouldn't have been on the bench.

Regarding the lineup choices v. Chicago and and Toronto, how about we play most of our guys that are a clear step above their counterparts for both games seeing as they're professional atheletes? I don't see why we have to put a reserve team out in either game? if it was impossible for players to play midweek, games wouldn't be scheduled so.

12. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Espindola was suspended. And Silva's been in rehab a long, long time. Irregardless (THERE! - I said it!) of what Olsen may want, any coach is limited to which players are available.

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    For all intensive purposes, I could care less what players are available …

griffin1108, fatbastard and Winoman repped this.
  14. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop that.

The Cold Sea and TowsonDad repped this.
  15. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Its "intensive porpoises" - dumbass

16. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Silva did anything useful this year, we could think about it. He's been a shell of himself. Due to injury or whatever. But still.

Cweedchop and Winoman repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arnaud: 30/40 passing, 1 interception, 2 clearances, 6 recoveries
    Kitchen: 31/37 passing, 1 tackle, 1 block, 1 clearance, 3 recoveries
    They balance each other in a nice way, but you're right, they completed only two passes in the final third. It's a huge black hole in the attack. I've stated it before, it is worth it to take a step backward defensively in the short term in order to integrate Halsti. In the long term, United will have more success with Halsti than with Arnaud, at least post season success where special players turn games.

18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Best interviewer ever -

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Cheaper than Molly, no hand or arm flapping, and better questions.

20. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are actually AT THE TOP - at least for the moment - both in the East and in the West

Winoman and JayRockers! repped this.
  21. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding your first two sentences...
    I think the original poster was referring to last year. But I'm too lazy to check if all three played many games together before Silva got injured and Rolfe got injured.

22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that necessarily a step backwards on the defense? Halsti is a CB and CM. From what I've seen he's able defend and make incisive passes. We need to give him a few games to get to know his teammates. Not just the midweek games where he plays with different people every time. But I also agree that in the long term, he has more upside than Arnaud.
    Also, didn't Arnaud used to play some on the wing for us? Not sure what that would do for us tactically... but when we're starting Doyle out there sometimes, maybe we could try Arnaud on the wing (if Silva and Pontius are out).

23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, I mean 2014 and also WAS too lazy to go through each match report, however I did find something handy actually on the DCU site:

http://www.dcunited.com/media-guide/history/2014-lineups

Games where the trio started:

W 4-2 @ Montreal
    W 4-2 v Colorado
    W 3-0 @ KC
    W 2-0 v RBNY

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #124 Q*bert Jones III, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    I have only just now realized how profoundly offended I am by the sexist title of this thread.

I almost forgot to get offended this week.

The Cold Sea and DecadeOfDCU26 repped this.
  25. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I'm referring to when I say it would be a step back defensively. He's going to need a minute, and if/when he makes mistakes in the back, Olsen has to allow it and chalk it up to growing pains.