Well done, Canada, you Own The Odium

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Scotty, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    From The Times:

Well done, Canada, you Own The Odium
    It is hard to say whether Canada’s Own The Podium programme has been a bigger disaster in terms of sport or public relations. Gold medal in both categories, I think.

The idea was for Canada to emerge as gracious hosts of the Winter Olympics and glorious winners as well. Alas, the Canadians have come across as a bunch of mean-spirited, chippy, unsporting losers.

Things have come to a pretty pass when you find yourself rooting for the United States. But I really have been cheering for stars and stripes rather than maple leaves. The Canadian shenanigans in Vancouver have alienated the entire world.​

2. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Very timely by Mr Simon Barnes. Did he not cover the last week of the games? Canada does indeed own the podium, shattering the gold medal count for a host nation. And a good time was had by all:

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/olympics/articles/2010/03/02/it_was_canada_at_its_best/

3. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Two questions:

1, why are you bothered to actively search for an English newspaper article, and then post it even when you don't like what has been said?

and

2, do you seriously take this as indicative of the opinions of an entire country?

4. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Responses to your questions:

1. I don't find it too troublesome to click on a f*ing link, although apparently some more effort is involved on your part. And in my response I posted a link to an entirely different article.

2. No I don't. But then again I thought the Times had a bit more class and commitment to the facts than some of the other ass-wipe tabloids you have over there.