Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Pretty much. Added to which is that the days when internationals meant that clubs got to see unknowns play for the first time are long over. These days, top clubs have scouts or contacts with scouts in many, many countries and they'll have had an eye on a player long before he gets an MNT call-up. International games can confirm (or invalidate) previously-formed judgments, but they very seldom create them out of nowhere. When they do, it's competitive games against quality opposition like the World Cup and the European and South American championships.

Post-season friendlies with experimental squads? Hardly at all

LouisianaViking07/09 and mschofield repped this.
  2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Even if they slash his salary to €2m, that's too much for 2.BuLi clubs. And no one in the BuLi is likely to go for him.

BUT he's a proven commodity in the 2.BuLi, so I expect HSV to keep him and even keep starting him, and this time he's going to score.

Because 2.BuLi is his level.

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is called "reassurance remorse"

mschofield repped this.
  4. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as staying in Germany, would Dusseldorf or Nuremburg be interested in him?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    We can act on his behalf and inquire. Wood needs to tell his agent to get on his JOB

6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wood to FCN isn't going to happen.While Dusseldorf are in negotiations to buy the 2BL top scorer.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That's surprising. I'd think his wages are too high or that he might make a move to a permanent club in the Championship.

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hahn was bought by Augsburg for a reported $3+M and potential for bonuses depending on his performances. And before that Hamburg had supposedly payed $6M to buy him from Gladbach. He got to escape to an ex club of his.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Somebody has to buy and Wood has to agree to go. Could still happen but the highest percentage play is for HSV to keep him. He can score in the B2. They're going to take a hit on him anyway. And they would have to replace him.

Most rational money play is keep him, hope he helps get the team back up, then offload with a more appealing season under his belt. It doesn't seem they hate him as a person, they just need a guy who scores more.

largegarlic repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was referring to Lasogga. But I def feel what you mean.

freisland repped this.
  12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think because they sold Hahn, that money can be used to pay Lasogga. Seems like he's worth $3.4M and he's the only player who's contract has it that any descent and he still gets the full amount.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, can Wood and Lasogga play in the same attack? I wouldn't think they'd be an ideal pairing. As Freisland has noted, HSV will want something back for bobby. But as you've made pretty clear here. and as I read the situation, Bobby isn't just being nudged towards the exit, but the exit has been wedged open and they're taking a running start before they push him out of it.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My bad. Reading too fast.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If they give him away they can likely find a place for him. But he's got no incentive to take a pay cut, save personal and professional happiness.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I kinda hope the Huddersfield rumor is true

17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Can't kick him out if he doesn't agree to leave, and Bobby is not going to leave to get paid peanuts.

At this point it's either the Championship or MLS, but most likely he sticks to HSV.

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Let's see, but if @mschofield is right, he's being shown the exit pretty forcefully. For his personal and professional satisfaction, he should get the hell out of Dodge, even if he has to take a financial hit.

To recap, he's too expensive for BL2 teams but has been a bust in BL1, on top of which he's a systems player rather than a player who wins games through individual moves: if he was the second type, he would be more marketable because clubs could, if not build, then at least reorganize their attack around him. He needs a club where 1) he'll be the cog that fits their particular machine, 2) has BL1/near-BL1 money, 3) is currently in search of a striker who 4) has his particular on-field profile.

Not easy. It's in these situations that having a great agent shows its worth. If said agent can organize a season-long loan deal that still gives him 60-70% of his money in a club & league where he can produce (maybe even Russia, Ukraine or Liga MX), he should take it.

mschofield repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does actually.... in the long term, staying at a club that has no intention of playing you will not help you especially if he gets no game time. When his contract is up and he will have spent a couple of seasons rotting on the reserves in BDL2, there will be no one who will want to sign him... he'll be in dangerous Freddy Adu signability-territory. Might as well go somewhere and play and preserve your future in the game for a little longer.

Probably better to strike when the iron is cool rather than completely frozen.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would be surprised, though, if HSV freeze him out if he can contribute in the B2. They just don't seem to have those kind of resources - or want to spend them if they do. I'm completely guessing, of course, but I'd be surprise if they sit him an entire season on principal. But anything is possible, of course.

Winoman repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Daft. Completely daft.

HSV want to offload him so they can get his wages off their financial backs and sign someone cheaper who can lead the forward line in BL2. Bobby is a proven quality in BL2 - he's just far too expensive - but if they can't get rid of him they won't be able to sign anyone except on a Bosman. Even then they'll probably have problems with his wages. Waldschmidt is leaving for Freiburg and Schipplock is out of contract, so it's just Bobby and Arp up top if they don't sign someone.

What do they do then? Have Bobby playing in the RL to teach him a lesson (making him the highest-paid striker in RL), while they play with no striker/some kid from the academy in BL2? If they play him, he'll score some goals and that will get them closer to promotion. The only issue is whether their alternative(s) will score more goals than Bobby. Everything else is details.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would say the only "likely" scenario where Bobby gets "frozen out" is if HSV somehow conjure up a decent deal for Wood someplace that gets him similar personal terms and he refuses (why he would, who knows.)

Absent being able to get some money back on him, they don't have much incentive. August is a summer on the beach away, Bobby was lauded for working hard and playing hurt at the end of the season. I just don't see the math where they find a way to force him to move, unless they have someone amazing running their sales desk.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning on here I essentially read that Bobby is way too expensive for HSV to keep but HSV also is wealthy enough to put him in the reserves and continue paying him 2M+/Y.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The counter-argument to my analysis: (and best screen name ever.)

WrmBrnr repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're doing this for show, to appease the fans who hate Wood at this point.

If no offers that Bobby can accept show, he'll be back in the picture.

By then the torches and pitchforks will be down.