Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we calling this the Conor Casey line? Based on production, I would rate Wood slightly ahead given his 5 goals last season, but Casey had a stronger 2.Bund record.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not. Going. To. Happen. Only a handfull of Eredivisie sides could afford that (Ajax, PSV, and maybe Feyenoord), but they only pay transfers for younger players with real (= more than double their money) sell-on potential. Bobby's too old, would cost too much and require too high wages.

In theory, it could happen on a loan. Otherwise, forget about it.

3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm not saying you're wrong in your arguments, but if that's the case WTF would he be doing giving MLS the time of day?

Given his history of knee problems, and the need to rest said knees in the off-season, games on plastic, the heat, the amount of travel, the conditions in which teams travel, etc, etc, he's better off staying in Europe. Add in the fact that he may not have a relegation clause, or one with a much reduced cut if he does, and he'd be nuts to consider a stateside move that doesn't at least guarantee his BL1 wages.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I never said he would. I only said he's easily worth a million, but whether MLS clubs see that is another thing. He should stay at Hamburg. And improve. He can do it.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    that'd require a paycut wouldn't it? I mean unless he went to a Dortmund or Leverkusen and I'm sure they'd have far better strikers riding their bench.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the problem would be that many fans may not know him per se as they would those 2. He hasn't been heavily marketed.

7. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably no matter what is getting a pay cut.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not expecting it to happen. Just tried to emphasize that his market price is way lower than his current wages.

9. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I doubt that MLS would outbid by much. He isn't Dempsey/Altidore/Bradley. His marketing value is low.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    50 league goals in 130 league matches. Ain't too shabby, though as you said it was a bit of a disappointment. I'm sure not many can match Aguero's 143 in 206 league matche.s

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it is pretty astounding how Wood went from sorta in the wilderness in 2014 to being starting striker at mid-table 2 Bundesliga club and then got a 4 million euro move to a semi-big Bundesliga club and he was being paid 1.5 million euros (we know this since a year ago they doubled his wages).

So literally 17 league goals in the 2nd division got him a move to a club where he then got 3 million euros a year for scoring 9 goals his 1st season. I need his agent :p

I'm sure he will turn it around. Just wish it'd be in the Bundesliga instead of 2 Bundesliga.

Winoman repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how in the world is Bedoya getting 1 million a year?

HartwickFan repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1) Philadelphia.
    2a) He's not even close to their most egregious salary. League Two contributor and Thai League washout Jay Simpson gets over $500k per year. Definitely worth it for that *checks* 1 goal in 507 minutes over 24 appearances.
    2b) Maurice Edu got $800k for his 155 USL minutes last season.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hamburg has been circling the drain too long not to put relegation clauses in the players' contracts.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think, given the finances of the two leagues, MLS is likely to pay more than an Ered team would. Ered team willing to take a chance on buying Wood would do it cause he was bargain bin cheap. If they have to pay, they'll take a chance on a younger guy without kneed issues. MLS has a bit of incentive, at least, since he's USMNT.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the suggestion earlier he wouldn't learn French, Ligue 1 would be my top destination for him although I could see another Bund club coming in and using him as a backup.

A backup for a better club with a superior midfield could be a good fit.

17. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    earnie stewart is a bottom 3 GM in MLS. absolutely terrible roster moves

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's future US Soccer General Manager Earnie Stewart to you.

19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    New article that is very relevant to this conversation: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...eam-striker-bobby-wood-unlikely-make-move-mls

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So if he's at 3 million euros, maybe the most he'd drop to is 2 million perhaps?

what I wonder is if say Hamburg get quickly promoted, would he resort to his previous wages before demotion or would he sign a new contract to handle that situation?

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now and during this whole summer he will weigh his options. Putting feelers out to MLS is exactly that. Wood seems willing to bet on himself, making the jump to Union and then the jump th HSV show that.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think that transfer fee will be negotiable if HSV are relegated. Unless they think Wood is key to fast bounce back. If they can get out from under a few mill a year, they may not require as much as they pretend they want.

Then again, the board was big on Wood so they may see him as helping them get out of B2 quickly, which, given his Union play, is not completely crazy. (assuming his knee is not chronic, of course.)

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  24. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Simply put, at his peak he was a force.

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    he had potential to be a 10 goal a season man. it's a shame Hamburg was the only Bundesliga club interested back in 2016. Might have fared better with a Mainz or Cologne or Frankfurt.