Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Since we don’t have a game for three years I wouldn’t mind Bobby getting some extended rest honestly.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    packed on Ice. A frozen hamburger. "Defrost in time for Qatar. Warm until the juices flow. Serve with hot sauce, red onion and grilled pineapple.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Bad news for Bobby, that kid is very good. If HSV gets to play every game with an extra man for the 2nd half I think they stay up.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    "We do everything to support him, but we can't do more than we do right now," Gisdol told reporters. "It's up to Bobby to drag himself out of it."

Hamburg host Stuttgart ahead of the upcoming international break and Gisdol suggested Wood could be dropped, saying: "In the end, the performance principle also applies to him.

"It all falls together. He's descended into a negative spiral from which he has to free himself. He has the potential to be a good forward, but he is not in any sort of form right now. He might give it his all, but things are not going well for him somehow."

Gisdol's latest comments come just four days after he said Wood was "on his way out" of his current predicament.

HartwickFan and Dr.Phil repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Can't say I didn't see it coming.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So the whole team sucks and so does Bobby? I guess at least he getting PAID

7. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    EJ style loan maybe? Get paid and become a lower division cult hero.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's results are pretty catastrophic for Wood. This could turn into a lost season for him

HartwickFan repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    are we just not good enough at producing consistent goalscorers? Wondo is ideal for MLS but can't score outside of CONCACAF. We've had Jozy score a lot in a mid-tier league with McBride/Dempsey scoring for relegation fodder clubs.

I'd kill for a 15-20 goal a season in Europe for an American for multiple years in a row.

Even Australia had that guy Mark Viduka who scored a bunch for Leeds and Middlesbrough in the early 2000's.

10. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only 24, which is still pretty young for a striker. He can still get better.

That being said, I've never really felt he was a fantastic talent. Hard-working guy with some skill and athleticism, but I never watched him and thought he was destined for the big time. I think he might top out as a rotational player in a big league or as a starter in a lesser league like the English Championship.

Dare I say he's kind of like the ST equivalent of Bradley. Solid, but not exceptional compared with players at the top level.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Maybe. But HSV looked poised to blow a 1-0 game where they were playing 10 men until the finished a very nice move to get the go-ahead. But they were also lucky not to give up a go ahead despite the man advantge. The Stud Garden was pretty wilted to day. I do think Arp has the makings of a very good player - the confidence on the 3rd goal was nice to see. What was more encouraging was the move and cross on the 2nd goal. If HSV can do that a couple times a game they'll get some goals.

That said, Hunt is possibly more snake-bit than Bobby, but since he's not a CF it's not as critical, but he should have had 2 today - and I turned it off not long after the 3rd.

End of story is this was a game against 10 guys for about a half. I didn't see much that suggested Hamburg were going to be a different team just yet. Some flashes- and probably just enough to stay in the Bund, but it's gonna be a struggle. I wouldn't count on Arp to save them by himself.

12. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't they play this kid with Wood?

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patience HSV will need Wood to perform again this season and he will.

Right now he's just in a funk. Get to winter break clear your mind and let the body rest come back stronger

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bright side is that Wood will have the chance to rest his knee and perhaps make an impact off the bench with a strike partner. The sky isn't falling for him yet.

15. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it is fine he has competition for the spot that is what Euro football is all about.

He might even play less and score more because of having better health.

16. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I read an article, honestly can't remember whether it was in English or German, so I don't have a link. Where Arp says that Bobby was one of the 1st to congratulate him on his goals and that before the game he gave him tips.

that's good for Bobby good sportsmanship and shows care for the team.

18. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Good to see.

You fight each other for minutes on the pitch, but you fight together for the team's success.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wood currently doesn't seem to be in shape. Once he gets back to it. It's possible the coach could play the both of them. So they might not necessarily play each other for minutes.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it's not like anyone else is scoring goals for the club.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bobby strikes me as a hothead but also as a standup guy. Not surprised he's genuinely happy about his replacement scoring.

Near the end of the Trinidad game the guy you hear shouting, "come on, come on!" is him.

It worries me if they bench him for long he's going to start picking fights with the coaching staff or the trainers.

He has to keep his head down and eat it, at this point.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Super-Sub Wood will find his way back. He might even find more goals as a sub

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wood not in the 11 starters for todays friendly (which is no surprise, I just want to flash my HSV awareness.) They are up 1-0 after a minute, I believe.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wood has his chronic knee problems which seem to be pulling him down this year. He needs to rest up for awhile but who knows if this ever completely goes away.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  25. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    his knee issues have gone on for about 18months. hes now entered the Johannson area. will be interesting if it is something he can recover from.