Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    one review

921829279473823745 is not a valid tweet id

To be fair, Wood was not good, but not bad. It's just stupid to give these kinds of grade.

The lone BM goal was wiffed on by THREE hamburg defenders. Hamburg was reduced to 10 men halfway through the game... If Bayern were not so off-balance (was that James out there?? Like, the guy from the WC? WTF)

Wood was Wood - he ain't ever gonna beat Bayern by himself and Holtby, Hunt, et all just aren't good enough to make anything happen.

Hamburg had like 4 or 5 short corners than went nowhere. They're stupid as well as bad. They did almost get lucky on a couple of shots they attempted through traffic, but basically they were plucky and active until they were reduced to 10, then they were just trying to hang on, then 3 defenders F**d up a routine cross and it was all over.

2. bigt8917

bigt8917 Member+

May 10, 2015
    I literally laughed out loud at that

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    more "grades"

<a href="
    921834344821477381 is not a valid tweet id
    ">October 21, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HartwickFan repped this.
  4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #7579 Suyuntuy, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    And, of course, on Monday Kicker will give Bobby the usual 5,5.

5. Streaky Bacon

Streaky Bacon Member

Apr 11, 2015
    Better than Arby's: Wood Flamed Hamburger SV - We Got The Meat

taylor and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the Abendblatt:
    921834344821477381 is not a valid tweet id

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    were his teammates that much better? Cause the only negative for Wood surely must be that he didn't score, right?

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's a mixed bag. Hamburg were very game in pressing and shutting down BM for most of the 1st half, but as a result, the only attack they had was pretty much counters or really badly f**d up corners/free kicks.

So, yes, in a way, the defense and defensive midfield play was above Hamburg's usual level (and the billionaires of Bayern were pretty meh, to be fair.) but Jung's red card was dumb (and harsh, but it was a tactical foul, still a good way from goal. Simply grabbing an arm or a less harshly executed tackle gets a yellow and a talk too.) And the BM goal was keystone cops D.

Bobby didn't have any clear chances I saw, but he did have a couple of half-chances. Once reduced to 10 men, he played in midfield for the most part, just trying to hold on to the draw.

Playing BM for 50 mins with 10 men is not going to tell you anthing about your lone strikers unless he freaking Hercules. And Bobby ain't close to the one-man wrecking crew Hamburg needed. But seriously, they wasted so many chances with stupid set-pieces it was like the fix was in.

naopon and Winoman repped this.
  9. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    his team is not good.

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I just realized MoPo gave Jung a 4, despite being sent of in the 1st half for a stupid and not needed straight red, but gave Wood a 4.5. That's hysterical. Bobby's gonna be the whipping boy until he wins a game or two for the Burglers.

BTW, if you want a laugh (or cry...) go to 2:05 of the "hilites"

11. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    Huh? The starting point of the video was 2:05

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, it was 2:05 long. I looked at the length. More like :56 or so for the 3-wiff goal.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Hamburg usually doesn't have many good striker options to challenge him, but they have Jann Fiete Arp who's a 17 year old CF, most seem to think he's the most highly rated German player in his age group.

He has already debuted for the first team before he went to the U-17 WC, and is doing a very good job right now at the U-17 WC. You can't expect a 17 year old CF to keep you in the Bundesliga, but I think Wood's going to need to start producing more, otherwise he's going to lose some playing time to Arp.

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't really anything meaningful you can say about Bobby's performances at the moment. Obviously the team is really bad, and Müller blowing out his knee was a real killer. Kostic is back now and Ito looks interesting once he can develop the stamina to play more than 50 minutes without cramping up, but HSV really needs to go after some decent players in the winter break.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They have no money, their sugar daddy pulled the strings shut.

http://www.dw.com/en/im-done-hamburg-investor-klaus-michel-kühne-to-suspend-hsv-support/a-40576950

Date 19.09.2017

'I'm done' - Hamburg investor Klaus-Michel Kühne to suspend HSV support

Klaus-Michael Kühne, the billionaire businessman behind Hamburger SV, has said he cannot continue to finance the club in the current market. Kühne has invested an estimated 60 million euros in the Bundesliga club.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now that is a ********ing title

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I went and took a look over at the hamburg transfermarkt foren. A size able group of fans are surprisingly quite is sympathetic to the Arby's burger..... I am so surprised that I am starting to think that maybe wood must be at fault since the have fans don't think so....

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  18. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    And that's being generous. He'd have to successfully negotiate the Brexit before the German press gives him any credence.

19. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Arp is a prospect, for sure. With no service or flow to their football, it really doesn't matter who is up top. The Bobby you see with the USMNT is not the one you see with H'burg. imho.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The wood you see playing with the USMNT is playing against crap defenses, as even the best nats defenses are subpar for a professional club.
    He doens't get that in Bund games. This weekend, he had a couple nice moments but he tried to do a bit too much (not sure he really had options).
    The reality for him is that looking as if he might score if he had better people around him isn't going to get him much of a deal elsewhere. He has to score, and while that sucks for him because Hamburg sucks, he made this choice.
    A page or so back there was the point raised that Wood would have been better off staying with Union. As a Union fan, that would have been great, but the club officials at the time were saying the same thing, their hope was that the club was ready for 1Bund within three years, but after 17 goals in pretty much half a productive season, Wood looked to be ready for the step up before the rest of the club. They love him, always will, but the money was the most in club history and he's making a ton more than he was. It was going to happen.
    Right now, Wood needs a reset. The best case would be to pocket 5-8 this season and see if that's good enough for a lifeboat seat for somewhere else in the Bund. But the pressure is building and I think you can see it in the way he tries to create the miracle goal a couple times in every match, taking off on runs to beat three or four and finding he's a bit short time and again. Moving back to the 2bund seems a waste. If he doesn't break out, his best money option might be MLS or stay put.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bobby has a contract until June 2021. He'll stay put, the money is good.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Esp if there's no money for transfers. Best thing for Wood is score a handful of goals against weak competition, maybe a "season saving goal" (even if it's the only goal he scores all year, if the one that keeps them up, it will be enough... until Sept!) keep Hamburg in the Bund by the skin of their blutwurst and live to play again.

At the same time, I would not be convinced he won't get offers, even if he only scores a few goals... whether it would be at interesting enough terms for HSV and him I have no idea.

Wonder what his contract looks like in the event of relegation.

mschofield repped this.
  23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    6 league goals in 36 league matches. Quite alarming. At the very least I hope he can rack up some assists this year. But his teammates never seem to be able to finish any chance he gives them.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looking at the numbers for BuLi play, Bobby has 31 games started, 5 played as a sub, 6 goals and 2 assists.

By comparison, Pulisic has 26 games started, 21 played as a sub, 7 goals and 7 assists.

The statistics are not exactly great for either, when you just focus on the numbers. Chicharito in his time in the BuLi started 45, subbed in 9, and had 28 goals and 5 assists.

And no one would say the Mexican was great in the BuLi. Had he been, he wouldn't be with the lousy Hammers right now.

mschofield repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd def be content with those numbers if Wood had scored as many goals. I believe Chicharito was either in team of the season his first year at Leverkusen or at least he was among the top scorers.