Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Good: They only lost by two, they could have lost 0-4.

The Bad: They already look like relegation candidates.

The Ugly: Bobby disappeared in the second half.

Look ma, no midfield! HSV could better use a speedster like Timo, but of course they couldn't afford him. Bobby is more of a buildup guy, a bad fit for a team with nothing in midfield.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I thought Bobby was about the only bright spot in the second half. HSV basically gave up on midfield play (with good reason) and started playing fast counter and/or long ball. Bobby played a bit of El Pesky backing into the CD to shield long balls and punts, headed wide a few times for HSV sorta-chances. His quick flicks were less successful, but the passes to him were with him under pressure at all times. It was shades of Jozy at Sunderland, but HSV fights harder than S'land did, even it it's pretty futile at times.

Winoman, LouisianaViking07/09 and Gacm32 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    hopefully he can continue his involvement from last season. if he's not scoring, he can add some assists.

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    See son, the thing about a tactical foul is you actually have to run with the guy enough to foul him. Flailing at his shirt as he dusts you is not exactly the concept...

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Timo is that fast. That's why he's worth 22.5m pounds, as per Transfermartk, that is not up to date with the current inflated prices (they still have Pulisic at 16.2m pounds, for example).

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamburg looked soooo much better than last year, though still no quality build up for Bobby. This looked like a team that will not be sweating out the last few weeks of the season (knock on wood). I predict 11 goals for Bobby in BL

7. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Kudos to Werner for staying on his feet, he could've flopped to get a yellow but he fought through and it paid off with a golazo.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Certainly spotting themselves 9 pts to start the season will help a lot. This team has a lot of fight in it, if not enough skill. They play soooo slow out of midfield, and back. Leipzig picked their pocket so many times when the pass was good enough but the receiver just dawdled waiting for the ball to come or waiting till they got it to decide where it was going.

I'm too afraid to look at possession, shot, completed pass stats. Even with Red Bull passing out of bounds a few times for unforced turnovers, HSV could never control the game for any length of time (when I tuned in. Admittedly I was working some of the time.)

I think Bobby will be hard pressed to get double figures from the run of play, but I agree HSV has enough fight (at this point anyway) they could avoid a relegation scare.

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bobby offers a lot of sound and fury, signifying at times something and at times nothing. It would be nice to see him paired with a better midfield. Scoring 8 to10 goals this season should see him sticking around the Bundesliga for the foreseeable future.

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 points. They were much more organized and I think for mid table and below teams they will be much harder to break down, It was RB they were playing, lots of teams look slow compared to them. I was surprised when Hamburg started pushing forward more at the end that they looked capable of sustaining possession in attack which would relieve a lot of pressure. Will they try it against the Koln's of the league?

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I watched the first half on my smart phone with the sound off while shopping for hurricane supplies at Costco. Then my battery died. Is it just me or was Bobby denied a penalty in the first half?

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah - wish it was 9! Werner was too much for Hamburg D. If they can't contain other attacks will he hard year. I don't see a lot of goals from this team.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It wasn't a penalty, Bobby sliced through two defenders doing his Maradona thing and the third guy just took the ball off him cleanly.

14. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Out with a knee injury against Hannover.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  15. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, Wood + knee injury has some concerning history. Hope it is mild.

16. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there goes my afternoon plan. I don't think you guys understand how hard it is to find something to distract me long enough to nap without my ADD meds.

The world is conspiring to make my day suck.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    could always download Bob's Burgers :D

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  18. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dammit

19. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Download or download and watch?

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    the 2nd. they might have it on netflix, but faster to just torrent it. It's totally worth it

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    annoying I know, though might have been 90mins of frustration for him not being able to score

22. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hamburg might be the greatest city in the world with a terrible team. Perhaps Berlin and Bucharest have it bad also.

The owners of Hamburg should be ashamed. This is like a 1988 Mainz team. Might as well roll out the 3-5-2 . 33 combined fouls? Sweet Jesus.

23. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IDK Hertha Berlin are in the Europa League this year.

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Capital of the largest economy in Europe. Hotbed of hotbeds? Herthas always been mediocre though.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Berlin is not close to the financial capital of Germany. It is still relatively poor compared to the traditional western Germany economic powerhouses of Hamburg, Frankfurt, and Munich.

Deeneaus repped this.