Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlyEli

SlyEli Member

United States
    Jun 25, 2017
    Subbed on in the second half. First preseason action for Bobby.

2. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamburg look terrible

3. PM22

PM22 Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Califor-nye-ayy
    Bobby makes his first appearance of the preseason for HSV, entering at halftime in a friendly against Holstein Kiel. Holstein have since tied the game at 2-2.

4. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    holstein is winning 3-2

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    HSV got owned by a team just promoted from the 3.Liga. Embarrassing.

Bobby didn't cover himself in glory either. I watched the first 10 minutes, saw them score two and expected HSV to destroy them. Turned it off just when Kiel was getting their PK. Then checked again and noticed Bobby has just come in, and watched most of the second half. What a disaster. Hamburg continues being the Sunderland of Germany.

PS: Lasogga managed to score one, BTW.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has the opportunity to showcase himself as being the only worthy/key player on the team. A good season and a decent WC tournament will get him a nice move come next year. I'm sure this has to be on his mind.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    But you knew that before you tuned in didn't you . . .

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought they might look better against a 2 bundesliga side but I was so wrong

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HartwickFan and BostonRed repped this.
  10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
  12. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that is an overly optimistic interpretation of his position. I hope he does really well, but last year he scored 5 goals in the Bundesliga. That tied him for 44th in the league. He really would need to showcase himself here and in Russia next summer to expect teams to truly come calling.

striker and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They got rid of Gregoritsch but there's not even rumors about HSV getting new midfielders.

They're shaping up to be relegation fodder.

14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    While I want Bobby to set the Bundesliga on fire he doesn't have to be a world beater to be good enough for a better league club with an actual competent midfield. I hope they turn it around but if they don't bring in reinforcements there another relegation battle is ahead for the club.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interview of Bobby:

Translated:
    Behind Bobby Wood lies a really eventful summer. After the last minute rescue with the HSV, the 24-year-old striker initially went to other countries with the USA, then married his longtime girlfriend Ditte, and at the end of June, he extended his contract at the HSV for the time being To 2021. Why he has done this, how satisfied he is with his first Bundesliga season and what he expects from the new season, he explains in an interview with HSV.de.

Bobby, you grew up in Hawaii, so in the middle of breathtaking nature. Are the mountains here in Austria really fascinating you?

Wood (laughs): A bit more sun and warmth would be great - like in Hawaii. Here it is quite cold. But fun aside: the conditions are very good. And also the nature is great. We were all yesterday together on a hut overlooking the valley. That was impressive.

You have not been back to the team for so long, because you are later on because of your country games. Have you already caught up?

Wood: I got a little bit later, but I did not get out very long. You do not lose so much. So far I am satisfied. It's going quite well and is a lot of fun to be back with the boys.

During the summer break the HSV and you agreed on a contract extension. In between you had the feeling that something was going on. Was your decision clear from the start?

Wood: I really wanted to stay here. I feel very comfortable in Hamburg and the HSV. I feel a lot of confidence from the team of coaches. With the team, we are very close together last year and it is a lot of fun. For me, this is all the reason for going further this way. Luckily it worked.

Also your private life was very eventful this summer. You married your longtime friend Ditte.

Wood: I really want to keep my private life out of the sport. But that was a very special moment. We have been together for a very long time and I always wanted to marry her. I am very happy that we did this this summer.

Is this an additional boost?

Wood: Maybe. Now I can concentrate on football. (Laughs)

If you look back on your first Bundesliga season. How satisfied are you?

Wood: Actually, I would have liked more stability, both with me and with the team. But the Bundesliga is very close together. It is not easy to always play successfully. Luckily we did it in the end. The whole team is closer together.

Is the second Bundesliga season now easier for you because you have gained experience, or more difficult, since many of course expect more from you?

Wood: I hope more easily. I think that I know the Bundesliga better now and can therefore bring me even better for the team. The last season has brought a lot of experience. There were lots of ups and downs and it was no easy thing. But this makes you better. I'm really looking forward to the new season, because it is going back to zero. It starts a new challenge.

What is the challenge for HSV?

Wood: At the end of last season, we have experienced that we are successful when we all fight together. We must develop this further. It is important to focus on the next game. We want to make small steps forward, focus on us and bring stability. That's the most important.

In the offensive, two new players have been added, with Andre Hahn and returner Sven Schipplock. How do you see the competition at HSV?

Wood: Honestly, it's always cool when there's competition. A wider squad is becoming more and more ambition. At least with me. That inspires me. That is why I see this positive.

That sounds energetic. You always feel very relaxed and reserved. On the square it looks different.

Do you have a personal goal in the new season?

Wood: Hopefully more goals to shoot and help the team by that.

We wish you good luck.

17. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they play Hahn and Wood together. Wood, Mueller and Hahn could be a formidable front 3.

Of course, as others have said, the midfield is the major problem.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hunt hahn wood.

oh that's going to strike fear into the hearts of Hamburg faithful.

Hunt, wood, chicken.

Papa leading scorer this year most likely.

20. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Hamburg is so shit. What's the deal with them? Large city with great attendance, they should have the resources to buy players who aren't complete crap, no?

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Around the 60' Baptistao scored for Espanyol. Wood went out and Schipplock came in. Holtby scored with a Schipplock assist in the 89'.

After the game the coach said: "The performance was good, but we could have rewarded ourselves with a few more goals. We played a really good opponent today."

It's not a bad result, Espanyol is a decent team.

22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Wood is starting in the DFB Pokal today for Hamburg against VFL Osnabruck. Osnabruck is managed by Joe Enochs, Marc Heider is starting, while Robert Kristo has made the bench.

23. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Just drew a red after ragdolling a defender

Gacm32 repped this.
  24. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team: