Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's developing as the Go to Guy for Hamburg. That's quite prestige considering his past.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Bobby and his new family. Can't say I'm happy at the prospect of another season of HSV ball, but can't fault a man for wanting to double his salary.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's at least an outside chance that HSV turns it around soon, much like Stuttgart was driven to action by the ignominy of being a big club relegated to 2.Bundesliga. Hamburg has a sensible coach, fired some of the dead weight and cleaned house in the front office - now they need to scout more young, motivated talent to beef up the roster.

Deeneaus and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Depends on what happens between now and the end of the window.

The midfield is a running sore, but getting the dead wood (sorry, not :D) off the payroll opens the possibility of taking some decent midfield players on loan. People will have seen what Gisdol was able to do with Papadopalous and wonder if it would work for them/their clients. If it works, they can trade their way to bringing good young talent onto the books in a season or two.

If assurances to that effect have been received, then resiging makes some sense - if it works. The problem is that if it doesn't, Bobby is going to be stuck there on a buyout clause that prices him out of the market.

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I also think that while the midfield was pretty out of sync in most games I saw, there was also a great deal of unwillingness to even try to play through the midfield which seemed to cause a bit of a negative feedback loop. Midfield played tight. Made stupid mistakes. Defence gave up on midfield, played over them. Midfield played more tight. Made more stupid mistakes. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. While Holtby, for instance, never impressed me in England or Germany, I never thought he was quite as bad as he looked for Hamburg. He might not be able to raise his game at all, but with a few decent players around him I don't know that it's out of he question either. He's really the Hamburg middie I'm most familiar with from play with other clubs. He was a reltative disappointment at Spurs so it's not overly surprising he's not awesome, but he is also in his prime (and should not be expected to be an AM) and wasn't completely out of his depth on an ambitious Spurs side... Hopefully they get someone to playmake and let him play B2B.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
  7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Gutted he decided to stay in Hamburg. No idea if Koeln rumor had any truth.

I expect HSV to be much better than people think next year and I expect Koeln to realize that without Modeste goals life gets tough.

Still think HSV need a Kalou type player to destabilize teams. Bobby is pretty north and south. They need a chess knight not a rook.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The certainly need either a better playmaker than Holtby or a small striker/SS type to play off Wood's double teams... or both?

9. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Looks like HSV is signing Gladbach's Andre Hahn

10. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be good news. He's a fine player.

Zinkoff repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The first rule as a player is stay where they want you.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    aka The Torres rule

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    That's a stupid way to get ahead.

14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    The point is you need to be somewhere that wants you to play at your best and actually see your best efforts fully utilized. It's tough to really break in at a team because you are oftentimes taking someone's job and that someone has friends within the team, management and coaching staff so they don't exactly roll out the red carpet for trialists and young guys who aren't super highly rated. For Bobby to move again so soon for an uncertain future at a better club (atm) would be a bit silly. I think he realizes he is near his ceiling and wants to establish a financial future for his new family. Also his new wife might have had something to say about moving so soon. Maybe she wants to put down roots. I can think of a million reasons he wouldn't leave Hamburg. If they were relegated he probably would have left. This is a World Cup year now and he needs to be playing to be selected for the national team's rosters.

There is also the spectre of his injuries that could end his career at any moment. He is considering all of this, not just thinking to himself what is the strongest club I can play for and compete for minutes at. I think this is his final destination until he comes for the really big dollars in MLS in a few years like Dempsey and Bradley did when their value was at it's highest or thereabouts.

15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I understand there are many factors to consider. That is why the idea of the first rule being stay where they want you is silly to me.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The corrolary is only go when they really, really want you. The top clubs have too much money. Millions is cheap for them. They discard guys too easily.

Bobby has no real cred yet. A handful of impressive goals in one season. He should stay and build his case.

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    the first rule is probably there are no rules.
    HSV did, it appears, spend more than they wanted to to keep Wood, which is a sign of high regard and high expectation. It's not a surety bond, but it's not bad either.

He will have a bit of latitude to start producing. But he'll also, of course, have to play better than the competition at the end of the day (or month anyway.)

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They're more like guidelines.....

19. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Guys (and @beerslinger23) I agree with all you have said. I understand the situation and have no problem with Wood staying at Hamburg for many of the same reasons you've cited. My original comment on this subject was not specific to Wood's situation just as the comment I was responding to wasn't. IOW, everyone else can stop telling me why Wood should stay at Hamburg.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    well it's not as if Wood scored 35 league goals and Madrid was courting him. He has more to do to prove that he can succeed at this level. Another year and he should be good to move up.

wixson7 and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    BTW, was not disagreeing either. Just noting that in this case, word on the street (or at last word on my poorly translated WoPo was that the board was trying to not spend, and were "encouraged" to pay enough to keep Wood, so someone has faith in him. That can be a double edged sword, of course, but it's a good sign for September.

22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I didn't think you were and by "everyone else" I meant future posts, not you guys who've already commented. Hopefully they spend a bit on better players too. I've only skimmed this thread the last few weeks (vacation, yay. But it's back to work now, which, means more time for BS :)), so I haven't kept up if they intend to (or have already).

freisland repped this.
  23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll buy a fresh Cologne jersey but you've won't catch me dead in an ugly Koln shirt.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think they are not going to spend as much as I would like them to! But hopefully I'm wrong.

25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    I was thinking precepts...