Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tartare

tartare Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Bobby would do well there and the days of ping ponging from the 2nd league appear to be past.

I'll grant that the personnel this season wasn't always great - several bad injuries to key players, but as the Irish Rover notes, their tactics are usually very good - they can play attacking Dortmund style football and Leicester / Italian style counter attack. This is a team that hasn't lost to Munich at home for a very long time - I can't remember the last time - definitely since they have been back up.

Unlike Hamburg, Koln is pretty strong on the wings and through the midfield. Osako has just gotten better and Bittencourt, while suffering a couple injuries, came back strong too. They could stand to improve their if they want to make waves in Europe, but Risse will be back and I think he would have been called to the national team if he hadn't gotten hurt. He's very good. Also, I had a beer with him in Jacksonville (humble brag).

He did basically this same free kick twice this year:

This is a team that won't win the UEFA league (whatever they call it now), but will compete, and is in one of the friendliest, best cities in Germany. Would be a good place for Bobby to land for a few years. And I think he would be the first choice, unless they get Gregoritsch. Rudnevs is good, but he's more a 70 minute sub and isn't threatening to start. Guirassy hasn't shown. Wood would get tons of minutes. Crossing my fingers.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    878354400976158720 is not a valid tweet id

[​IMG]

#morningwood

3. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Man I'm on fire.

Beat @BostonRed to the punch twice today!

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Expect him to make his move in 1 year. Gotta have a good solid season at Hamburg (say 15 goals or so) and a few goals in the WC and then he just might get that move to Leverkusen or Dortmund.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    it was originally set for 17 million right? Hamburg really has a lot of faith in him

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's his salary ?

7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably around 4-5 million based on the buyout, right?

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm pretty sure they doubled it. So he's on 3 million euros a year. Before or post taxes, that i the question.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Scoring 15 with Hamburg? Unless they seriously upgrade their midfield (which they don't plan to), don't see it happening.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He might have a new release clause of 22M but I'm more interested in the release clause when HSV gets relegated.

11. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll stay with HSV until they get relegated then dip.....I expect him to take his performance to the next level this season with more familiarity with his teammates. I have confidence that he'll make good on their investment in him.

Thank god they also managed to buy Papa also because they don't survive with the backline they had before he got there.

The bad news is that the board said they were trying to cut down spending yet they've already given Bobby a raise, bought a youth goalkeeper, and bought Papadapoulous. I'm not sure how many more players they can afford at this point.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one is 2.2M.

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that they ride or die with Bobby. For the first time as a full-fledged and healthy professional, he will be playing with the same team as he did in the previous season. I'm hoping this gives him a level of comfort to set him up to succeed.

14. tartare

tartare Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Well that's that. No one is going to pay 21 million for Bobby Wood. He took the cash - can begrudge that. Hamburg is doing very weird things - they need to reload. Also resigned Papadopoulos. Very weird and now gregoritsch is for sure gone - only 5.5 million buyout.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It would have definitely made headlines if Koln had dropped that kinda money on him.

But another season at Hamburg. He can prove what he can do. Should probably demand to be their PK taker. Help pad his stats.

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He only reports official news so you havnt beat him yet :p

17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    You never wear your dinner, but you'll always wear Cologne...

Damn my wife wishes I was that kind of guy...

18. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now MM to keep the other guys off the scoreboard. Why not another American to get things going?

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Honestly, I'm happy for Wood's bank account and his doughnut, but I'd rather have looked forward to following Koln next season... Ah well.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I kinda like consistency for our guys. To develop a following or "Legacy" at a club even if it's modest at a relegation fodder club.

21. hype25

hype25 Member

Jul 17, 2016
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    And to think, when they benched Gooch in S'land I thought I had no further reason to follow crappy clubs...

23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll bet arena thinks hamburg is the perfect club for bobby to practice how he'll play for the USMNT....sighhh

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Bobby has come a long way since he was struggling to make an impact in the 2. Bundesliga and it seemed as if injuries would end his career...

Now folks are complaining about which Bundesliga club he is going to play for...

Perspective.