Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Even if it's only rumors, I'm glad it features an American. I recall some years ago Dempsey had the likes of Napoli, PSG, Roma interested in him.

Heck even Liverpool put an offer for him. Though they lowballed Fulham.

I think even City was rumored to pick up Donovan after the 2010 WC.

2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is because word has switched to Bobby being close to a new contract with HSV thruouggh 2021

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That makes more sense to me. HSV has the potential to improve, IMO. But not so much that Bobby would become a squad player. Hopefully.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    What about the rumored Dortmund interest?

5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Ger90 repped this.
  7. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and Suyuntuy should start a haters abroad board.

Be realistic, fine. But damn.

I hope @Suyuntuy is the mod. You're incorrigible. Literally, you post and reply as though you don't even read what you're quoting. At least Suyie lives in the margins of logic.

On the other hand, you post something that was prima facie wrong and spend the next 2 pages explaining why it wasn't. Go back into hiding.

Jazzy Altidore and The Irish Rover repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #6933 Ger90, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    why because I posted someone else review? which by the way I don't even agree with.
    Not sure how that makes me a hater.

9. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Honigstein is very wrong with his ratings and doesn't even take into consideration that Wood wasn't even fit for numerous games but was still playing. Also mentions that he wasn't linking with the midfield.....it was more like there was no decent midfield to even link up with to begin with.

just watching this guy talk about Wood, one can see why other critics weren't impressed with him.

Hamburg is high on Wood otherwise they wouldn't depend on him for so many games.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree, there are Bundesliga 2 strikers that come up and don't make it. I think Wood showed he was better then is tally and proved to be a Bundesliga player.

He is going to be rewarded with a new contract.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Ger90 repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I definitely think he's a Bundesliga player, but given the amount of money paid for him and his role, I'm not sure he had a good season scoring 5 goals.

14. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

yea and I'm Santa Claus.

15. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess what counts is Hamburg likes what they paid for him.

The Irish Rover and freisland repped this.
  16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wood showed that he belonged in the Bundesliga. Whether he's an average striker or pretty good remains to be seen.

His team sucks. He created several of his own goals or had to rely on his very own goalkeeper to assist him.

A lot of his bad form started after he was injured (in the past 7/8 games)

Ger90 repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm always impressed by the number of players that suck their way into more money and longer contracts.

The key difference between us and real people that live and die by soccer is that we can dream of the the player we imagine Bobby Wood to be. Real soccer people would have to replace Bobby Wood with actual soccer players with actual skill limitations and competitive valuations.

So sure, both can be true. Bobby can be underwhelming for our David Cassidy/Farrah Fawcett wall poster schoolboy dreams and yet sill virtually irreplaceable at a club with the rep and finances of Hamburg who need to figure out how to low-ball their way out of relegation again next season.

It's the Jozy/Defoe debate all over again. Defoe has 2 great seasons with 15 goals each and Sunderland first barely escapes relegation and then goes down (and I'm guessing not gonna do the Newcastle bounce so easily) With the failing Fletch and Jozy and Connor they have better points, better table position and don't get relegated - but can't score to save their lives. So, is Defoe a better striker than the other 3? Yes. Is he more valuable to the team? And... who would you have replaced him with if you could to try to stay up? I have no idea, but on an 11 man team with the fluidity of roles that soccer has, the alchemy is sometimes not as simple as some random jurno's ratings.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If he was Belgian and had the season that he did, would you be saying he had a good season?

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if he came from the 2 Bundesliga, it's debateable

but our standards for strikers are so low at the moment

If he scores 15 goals next season, we will be on the #WoodIsWorldClassStriker
    :cool:

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Anyone who watched Wood and Hamburg play this year can't really complain. If the team is a 3/10 then he is a 5/10. If the team is a 7/10 then he is a 9/10.

The fact that he was compelled to play on pain killers should tell the entire story. The club will gladly sacrifice his future for theirs. If he has the opportunity to leave for a better team he should.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I did the comparison and he is scoring about as expected for a striker of a bottom-of-the-table team.

So, the good, is that (unless you're Kicker) he's not particularly terrible. The bad is that he's in the same region with players that are never going to go to a top team.

It's just being realistic. When you have been watching soccer for 40 years, you learn some guys have it, some don't. For the NT, though, Bobby is an important piece: he has the fire.

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It could be much worse. Imagine if he was on an Italian club at the bottom of the division. might only score 3 goals all season.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6949 The Irish Rover, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    "Statistics are like mini-skirts. They give you good ideas, but they hide the important things."
    Ebbe Skovdahl

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6950 The Irish Rover, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Yes.

If he was playing for Gladbach or Schalke? It was a bad season.

He was playing for HSV. CR9 would look pretty mediocre playing for that shower and Bobby was - visibly - unfit for the last ten games of the season; for the last 5-6 games he shouldn't have been training, never mind playing. His goals - along with Adler's saves and Papadopolous' defending - were the difference-makers in keeping HSV up.

By the way, how's Agudelo doing??