Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The buyout number I've read around here--if Hamburg managed to stay in the 1.Bundesliga (they did)--is 13M euros. Is that really considered low these days? For a forward who's probably much better than the 5 league goals he got, but still just 5 goals in a season?

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He doesn't worth that.

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I haven't watched a whole lot of Hamburg, but when I did, they were dreadful. Most of those Bobby made out of nothing. I think people who do this for a living prompted Hamburg to pre-emptively want to renegotiate his contract. Presumably give him a raise and raise the buyout.

The "pain" issue stuff worked to Hamburg's favor and probably cooled interest somewhat. He isn't a "sick note" guy so if he can get healthy who knows what silly season holds for him.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Well, that's kind of the point of a buyout clause, now innit?

5. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The fact that he hasn't signed an extension should concern Hamburg. Quality strikers are hard to find and plenty of clubs can throw around 13m euros to get him.

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Opta include stuff their clients - EPL, BL1, Serie A clubs, Die Mannschaft, etc. - want because they find it useful. If the clubs didn't they'd be told to remove it.

If "second assist" or "secondary assist" is in the database, and it is, then it's a useful measurement, not some dude on BS trying to make a player better than he is.

End of.

7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6907 The Irish Rover, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    So, why don't you take your own advice and stop posting about it then?

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    because people don't read to the last post on this forum. They just quote others on a post that bugs them. If people actually read to the last post I'm sure they would have stopped quoting me. Just like how I moved and started talking about Wood and a potential transfer, yet you still quote a previous quote. You want someone to move on, yet you quote them about doing so when I already did.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    :rolleyes:

10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    right back at you pal.:rolleyes:;)

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I want to point out that I have the most NHL-assist posts on BS (active lifetime) My posts have led to the most posts that have led to winning posts since Albert Shesternyov stopped posting. At least, that's what Sidefootsitter told me and I always believe him.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I'll help the thread move on - Kicker graded Wood a 5 for the match on Saturday, and 4.20 for the season*. Kicker graded Hamburg as a club at 4.02 for the season, worst in the Bundesliga, so they think Wood was slightly below average compared to the club as a whole.

*Not counting his DFB Pokal appearances, which Kicker liked much more - 2.33 in 3 matches.

JRB92 repped this.
  13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    when are we going to get a consistent (and respectable) 15-20 goal a season striker at a European club? I think Wood is our guy. I doubt he gets this at Hamburg but hopefully next season 10-12 goals in the league can guarantee a big move.

HartwickFan and Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #6914 Ger90, May 22, 2017
    like Dempsey a few years ago.

hitting double digits in the German league or any league it's not easy. Usually players who do so, they don't do it in their 1st season at the top flight, they have experience playing in 1st divisions or it takes them a few season before they hit double. Wood was playing his 1st season in the top flight this season, before he was in lower leagues.

if you look at double digits only Gnabry was playing his 1st real season hit double. Everyone else had few years of experience. But even him he had a few PL games under his belt.

I'm sure when he's back and in better shape he could possibly do so after a year of experience.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not to toot my own horn too much, but I have also drawn more posters away from a thread so another poster could post a winning post than anyone in BS history, including pre-crash. Statmancruthers will certify that, since it's a stat and all. Jus sayin' (I don't really get enough credit for that. I'm often doubled teamed too... fwiw.)

16. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    #6916 USSoccerNova, May 22, 2017
    LOL. You're the Darlington Nagbe of BigSoccer. You're the post behind the post that gets all the rep. :)

Your post also kind of reminds me of the Fall Guy tv show theme, which is about an 'unknown stuntman' that gets absolutely no credit whatsoever for making his movie star counterparts look good.

freisland repped this.
  17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I have it on good authority you toot your own horn no less than twice per day.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  18. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    #6918 justinpaul10, May 22, 2017
    My favorite game of Bobbys this year was v Bayer Leverkeusen on February 3rd. He was an animal in that game, his hold up play was outstanding, he relieved pressure, he came close a bunch of times and did a fantastic job. Kickers rating...3.5 which means he was dead ass average. They obviously don't rate him, but I am not really buying what they are selling on this.

In looking up Kicker ratings I came across a very thorough explanation of a variety of ratings systems and they had this to say about Kickers (in the name of a complete picture):

http://bodai.unibs.it/BDSports/documents/Jonathan Klaiber.pdf

19. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    See quote (the post editing time expired)

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    As bad as Hamburg was this year it is next to impossible that HSV, who are 14th with 38 points, 13 more than bottom-sucker Darmstadt, could have a team that is the least effective in the league with a 4.02, and Darmstadt be a full .24 points (>5%) "better" than them. That is simply impossible. Mainz, with one point less than Hamburg are rated 1/2 point "more effective" than Hamburg... yet are lower on the table.

Someone's "effective" meter is off. Interestingly, Hamburg seems most abused by the rankings. Granted, HSV are terrible and their -28 GD suggests they are worse than their record, but I can't imagine what shade of crap Darmstadt had to be to get only 25 points with a GD of -35 on the season. Can't be .24 points better than Hamburg over the season.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kicker puts a group of experts in the stadia, they use a mix of stats and real time assessment, holding to a series of rules that must be applied and that ensure their is no bias in the group, to come up with their ratings? Holy crap is that German. Full credit for you for showing the other side of things, but isn't it kind of like taking a pop gun to Omaha Beach?
    As for the transfer, how many clubs can afford $13m? Okay, everyone in the Prem. There are a couple clubs in the Bund who can, but does he fit with Bmunch or Dortmund, or even RBL? That's a lot of money for anyone else.
    The top clubs in the first divisions of France, Spain and Italy, but did he show top club form this season?
    It would seem to me that his best option is Klopp, who has shown interest and Wood can fit into his style. but that would mean next season, bobby would be a success if he got 8-12 starts across all comps. Is that ideal for US fans on here? Is it better for him that being a pre-printed starter in Hamburg? I wasn't convinced Hamburg was a great place to land, though I did like the money Union got. But I'm not convinced it isn't a place to stay through 2018.

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I know I'm in the minority, but a dozen starts at Liverpool sounds like just the ticket heading into the WC. Stay in shape, but keep some gas in the tank. There will be plenty of warm-ups to get in game-shape... Of course, while we're wishing, I'll take a pony.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #6923 The Irish Rover, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    You're both right, IMO.

The thing is, that Liverpool's current striking options aren't that great. Sturridge can't stay fit and is on his way because of that; Ings has missed nearly the whole season because of a serious knee injury; Firmino has been good but not as good as to be a definite starter up top for a club like Liverpool (as SS is another issue); Origi is still about potential at this level.

In those circumstances, there is a vacancy. If Liverpool reach the CL group stages - as you'd assume they would - there'll be a real need, and 4 strikers might not be enough for that need.

In term of getting PT Liverpool will be riskier, certainly. But the rewards, if it works, will be phenomenal.

But when it comes to wishing, I beg to differ. I'll have a bottle of Glenmorrangie ;)

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I've got my whisky. I need a cute little pony to share it with...
    [​IMG]

If Wood had a shot at 12+ starts at 'Pool he should jump at the chance (completely inventing, of course, the scenario where they are paying 13 mill for him...) While Hamburg is good practice for playing with no service, even the USMNT has better midfield play than HSV. And at some point I think getting beat up like that day-in/day-out can wear on you. Not sure, despite how feisty he is, that Wood is really built to endure that volume of bodyblows.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The only rumors about interest in Wood at this point come from American (USA-based or American-owned) sources.