Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I love germans. After the sporting director of Bayern Munich was found guilty of massive tax fraud for laundering hundreds of millions of euros through Unkle winkies sausage factory, probably having used that laundered cash to boost the club and wash profits from key supporters, the fact that you can be 'agast!' at any small move is silly.

And sanctimonious. Germans are just as dirty as any other country you just make it harder and have legal accountability. In Italy they would have thrown him out of the window and taken a nice kick back. In germany the kick back is legalized through massive lawyer fees on both sides, penalties, and assets seized.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are nuts if you think other countries are as corrupt as Germans. Compare the tax compliance statistics between European please.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im going to do you a favor and nudge you perhaps with the most likely other reason: general incompetence in the admittedly tough task by the guy who provided individualized ratings to 22 players after a single viewing.

The notion that someone in HSV management would get involved with small bribes having little to no effect on Woods marketability is beyond improbable. EPL rams have their own scouts anyways.

striker and The Irish Rover repped this.
  4. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I guess that is the logical thought process behind things like Pizzagate. One just starts from one point and draws remarkable conclusions from it without any basis behind it. And then one stands behind the theory, no matter what, just because there is a probability greater than 0 that it could be true.
    The grade might have been too hard (no one really cares about a single grade), but to make a story about it how clubs call Kicker to give one of their players the useless rating in exchange for favors is something else.

And btw, it wasn't Bayern's sporting director, actually it was worse. But as far as I know, it was only for tax evasion and not money laundering. I've seen nothing indicating that the club's finances or his sausage company were involved. But anyways, that little story does nothing to help your conspiracy theory.

Jazzy Altidore and The Irish Rover repped this.
  5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I freely admit I have been in the thick of every conceivable business nonsense and it does cloud my judgment, but I also don't buy into people being above anything.

I mean Dortmund bus was just bombed for some idiot going short on the stock. YES THAT HAPPENED! But a call to Kicker reporter asking him to sandbag the offensive engine? No that is a bridge too far, I tell you!

He may have given them a 6 for losing to Darmstadt. Wood was not in 6 territory.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  6. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    As a very experienced person in these matters, he copped to tax aversion, took the hit for the entire operation and damage controlled the entire way.

Word around town is that some major players were involved, think sponsors, but you don't go around crucifying CL champions. Especially not when germany's hollywood team is in the crosshairs. This was not a one one man sausage show. The hit was big enough for everyone to swallow.

7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Does anyone have any other ratings to compare this to? Seems like a pointless exercise to lambaste Kicker's opinion without knowing what the general consensus is. If Kicker is a huge anomaly, does that affect anyone's opinion of Wood and is the alleged "favor" worth anything if everyone just laughs it off?

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    *crosses fingers Wood scores a brace this weekend*

9. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's mine from halfway watching: didn't stand out either way. Probably would have been a 6/5 for me on a normal scale.

Guess it's reasonable to expect him to win the ball and pass it to himself and score.

Honestly, when I first read the rating, I assumed it was a joke by the poster. Or, if not that, since it's so rare of a rating, an actual conspiracy to smear Bobby. But then I dismissed that. Because I felt the joke was more likely. Now, I don't know other than Bobby wasn't literal dregs. It was a tough go for him. He gave his typical effort. He had one or two opportunities to be a total magician and bail out the team that didn't come off.

******** the guy who gave him that rating, whatever the reason.

10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Hamburg coach Markus Gisdol backs Bobby Wood after criticism

http://www.espnfc.com/hamburg-sv/st...arkus-gisdol-backs-bobby-wood-after-criticism

snip:

But Gisdol backed the 24-year-old, who has been linked with Borussia Dortmund after some impressive performances this season.

He said transfer speculation was "immaterial" and that the minor knee injury that caused Wood to miss Hamburg's recent game at Bremen had been a factor.

"Bobby is a super lad and totally focused," Gisdol added. "He lacks a bit of training rhythm because of his knee injury."

11. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015
    857629462439100416 is not a valid tweet id

12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone here "buys into people being above everything." If we had evidence that something was going on, that would be one thing, But absent such evidence, it seems ridiculous to make this assumption about Bobby, particularly in light of how arbitrary these ratings typically are.

13. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Bobby will recover from that Kicker rating. Hopefully a MLS team can save him this summer

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Jurgen will tell him to go to NASL

15. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His sights should be and most likely are higher than the MLS

16. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slim pickings after that Kicker score. His best hope is to have a NASL or MLS team activate the €12 mil buyout

17. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HSV allocated a portion of their pregame press conference to children in attendance who were allowed to direct questions toward Markus Gisdol. (Check 14:00~ at https://www.hsvtotal.de/player/list/latest/10162517/1)

One kid expressed concern regarding the press rumors that Bobby would move to another club, and Gisdol responded that he wasn't looking to move but other clubs were seeking to buy him, and called him a great player with a bright future who is comfortable at HSV.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Just get a couple of better people in the mid & Bobby will be the perfect fit. If they stay up, that is.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    with fans that worried, he should stay. Soak that up.

truefan420, Winoman and Suyuntuy repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the Bundesliga. Love it. It is my choice for American players. I am one of those stay away from the Premier League guys. However, if there is one American that is tailor-made for the Premier League it's Wood. His strength, pace, work rate, scrappiness - everything about his game screams England. I think Jamie Vardy. There a ton of similarities. Wood could be an absolute hit in the EPL. I would prefer him to stay in the Bundesliga but I'm not going to lie there's a part of me that would love to see him in the EPL sooner than later.

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    5 goals, 2 assists in 24 league matches. 1724 minutes. Basically 19 games worth of PT.

With 4 more goals in 4 matches in the cup. 9 goals/4 assists in 28 matches (2000 minutes in total) isn't so bad overall at a club like Hamburg

Augsburg, Mainz, Schalke and Wolfsburg left. Think he can land on 8-10 league goals by season's end?

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol man talk about victim of the moment. One score doesn't erase the season he had. There will be other german teams or English teams that would still bid on him even if the season ended today.

If he's smart he will stay with them if they stay up. If he stays he's gonna get the PT needed to find his best form going into the World Cup. If he moves he's taking a gamble trying to settle in a new situation leading up to the World Cup. After the cup he should leave.

HSVs concern isn't just the release clause if they stay up. If they drop the clause goes down to 5. They want to get more than that. Especially if EPL teams have really been showing interest.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just...damn, man. Okay with you if we chalk this up to the 420?

striker and wsmaugham repped this.
  24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I will leave it at this: You guys don't know the lengths Germans will go to save a penny (bomb bus blame turrists), sabotage an opponent (jump on court, stab a teenage girl, Monica where are you!) or drink a beer (...). You have no idea.