Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    :rolleyes:

gunnerfan7, wsmaugham, Balerion and 3 others repped this.
  2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HSV on the injury:

3. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
  4. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems that way, I can't believe
    Sly dogs, keeping their player well rested to battle them out of the relegation zone. Or is it he accepted a call up but forgot he's #TeamKlinsamann for life

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's trending close to character assassination of one of our top players, who's busted his ass for years, simply off an injury we don't have much info on. You appear to be assuming the worst.

Jones is here. Fabian was going to be and Arena has suggested he's a key piece. Wood isn't a German American. Chandler is suspended and otherwise would likely be here. Arena's sent scouts to watch Green and said he's under consideration.

I mean, this seems far more about form/injuries than political statements. But that's just me.

gunnerfan7, DHC1, orcrist and 9 others repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's a crucial difference.

I think things will go back to normal, but also wonder what tone Arena took with them when he went to Europe.

All the info I saw on that gave the impression that he didn't spend any time with them, just talked to them on the phone for three minutes each --something he could have done from the USA.

So, basically, he went there to see them play.

7. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Oh my days, some of us here really live up to that beloved 'Spazzo' moniker some El Tri fans have granted us.

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Excuse me but this is a bit off. You actually believe Bobby would risk a trip to a WC because he is thankful to Juergen? That's one weird hypothesis dude.

orcrist, Phives, The Irish Rover and 2 others repped this.
  9. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    umm?
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016/12/06/23/07/161206-bruce-arena-visits-mnt-players?3

Phives, freisland, Gacm32 and 2 others repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I had not seen that one. Glad he met them in person. He did need to make sure they knew he wanted them on the team.

Some of the absences are honest head scratchers to me: Chandler, when all our FBs are injured; Morales, who's looking good with his club; Boyd, who's back scoring even if benched again for unknown reasons.

Also, that they miss a couple of games at this point, when the European season is winding down, doesn't mean they won't be back after, once the crunch time is over. You have to consider all these guys are entering the final lap of the race.

So it's not risking their future with the NT, they are still needed and Arena is not a dunce, he'll call them again later even if he knows they were not exactly enthusiastic about it this time. He knows how important the last games of the season are.

Also, I think we should be capable to take care of Honduras with our MLSers only, if we must.

11. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    Boyd has played 6 games this year and has 1 goal, how does that warrant a callup? and these are his first 6 games in like 2 years, probably also why he isn't starting every game.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the talk of German Americans, the two blatant omissions in my eyes are EMO, our current top CM and Arriola, being bypassed for the ghost of Zusi and Bedoya.

13. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    This makes no sense:

JAB: On the roster will most likely play
    Jones: On the roster, will most likely start at least 1 game
    Fab: Injured
    Boyd: Just started playing after loooong injury layoff. 1 goal in 6 games doesn't warrant a call for a do-or-die series
    Chandler: Suspended for the first game, I can understand not calling him up for this reason alone.
    Morales: Playing. Not sure that he's any better than who was called in.
    Williams: Not sure why he doesn't get called in, but DM isn't really a position we're thin at.
    Zelalem: Dutch 2nd Division...enough said.
    Green: 6 games, 1 goal in BL2. Haven't seen the games, just highlights.

Basically I see maybe 1 maybe 2 players that could've been called up but weren't.

3 were called
    2 (Boyd, Zelalem) have no business being called now
    4 Iffies and I get the lack of Chandler call.

Namdynamo repped this.
  14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6164 thedukeofsoccer, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    That, and he's injured. He missed the last match due to muscle problems.

The much more plausible "conspiracy" theory (totally overused phrase as supposedly outlandish, and half the time it isn't a conspiracy rather ulterior motives, company men, etc.) here is that injuries were exaggerated by German coaches and team doctors because they didn't want to risk aggravation or an actual injury of consequence playing with the national team. If one has a hard time imagining this sort of thing going on, they are very naïve. We are talking multi-million dollar investments, and when that type of money is involved, history shows you should be able to imagine a lot of things. After all, remember how Chandler's manager reportedly antagonized him when considering whether to accept call-ups to the USNT and asserted it just wasn't worth missing training in the Bundesliga for something so unimportant? And this was while the US manager was a German legend. Now he, his connections, and prestige aren't even around. We would be dealing with different players than Chandler in this instance, i.e.: Wood, Fabian, Boyd, etc.; but the timing is pretty coincidental. And mind you, team doctors in the NBA exaggerate to even manufacture injuries all the time to have an excuse for their players to have a game rest here and there during the grueling regular season schedule. I'd watch closely to see how soon these guys return. I'm not putting it on the players because they're trusting their team doctors, but with Fabian I remember one instance where he couldn't play for us but next game for BMG he was right out there without any problems. That happens enough, and the optics are poor.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They are in the last stretch of games for their leagues.

Add to that that at this point they may not feel too enthusiastic about playing for the NT, with Klinsmann gone and some of the things said, and I think we can easily explain this away.

Which doesn't mean things won't be much better for the next qualifiers.

16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Klinsmann firing was overdue. Deep down even the biggest Klinsmann loyalist must have known that.

And for a guy like Wood, he even was born....in the U.S.A. The current political climate shouldn't slow him down.

Barring the staunchest of political dissidents, I really doubt anyone could justify missing qualifiers that could keep them from playing in the next WC, unless their body was betraying them or their team doctor advised it wouldn't be in their best interest to play during that week.

17. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ducking hell, people. What the duck is wrong with people here?

There's no basis for these allegations and no reason to defend them.

How ********ing little brother do you have to feel to concoct this shit?

Just Offside, bsky22, chalaron and 4 others repped this.
  18. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Is everyone else unable to see two or three posts or is it just my incompetence?

19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Try laying that line on the millions of folks who have/have had moderate to serious back distress. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Don't you have an ambulance to chase?

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It wasn't overdue. It was too late. At the point he got fired, it may have been better to keep him.

I want to have faith in Arena, though, in spite of his last year in the Galaxy.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Mexican coach, Osorio, announced the other day that he was allowing Tecatito and Fabian to stay with their clubs after talking to them, since both had been injured before and felt they would be better getting back to form while helping their clubs. Both are playing now, by the way.

Playing for your NT is not an obligation, players get paid peanuts for it, and if they have reached their club ceiling already, there's no reason to showcase themselves.

It's plausible that Wood prioritized his club career at this point, getting treated by an on-going issue instead of coming here. It wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary.

22. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Right?!? Oh my days!

23. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    In every sport where clubs pay more and more to their players, the less and less likely a player is going to play for their country while injured. Just not gonna happen, be it baseball, hockey, soccer, etc. Too much is at stake. Honestly, these "national" competitions are a ridiculous farce as long as organizations like FIFA run them. It's a great scam, get athletes to compete on someone else's dime by invoking patriotism, and make hordes of cash. I think it's perfectly okay for an athlete who's never made the big bucks and who's had injuries derail them in the past, (Bobby's 2012 injury was supposedly career-ending), would listen to his advisors if he has a lingering back issue, while his potentially one big payday is looming. This is a good opportunity to get it treated. If the US can't win without him, then we have no depth and don't deserve to win.

Besides Bobby is Hawaiian, not a Germerican, so his loyalty to Klinsmann is nothing. Hadn't he already been in the U20 setup? He was at 1860 Munich for years, and had coaches and tech directors get fired on an annual basis. You learn that soccer is a business and that there is little loyalty in the sport.

24. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How far is Stuttgart from Hamburg?:D

25. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One side:
    I think Wood is still fit to play. His club probably put the squeeze on him about a probable minor knock that is common for mid season pro's. There may also be some retalliation against Klinsmann's firing. A lot of the younger players really liked him. Klinsmann was calling up Wood and giving him minutes during turbulent times at 1860.

Other side:
    As a youth player Wood relished playing for the national team as far as I could tell.