Welcome to Old Trafford #7 Alexis Sánchez :)

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would agree with that. Especially the bit about him passing the eye test. That's what makes me nervous about him. I worry because I like how he plays so much that I'm adding production to his game that isn't there.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can't forget that Bailey is still just 21. His progression curve has been on par and a very solid one so far, commensurate with his age. This is an important season however for him in terms of taking his game to the next level and that will be something to keep an eye on, in hopes he actually does.
    He's definitely passed the high test for me and it's beyond doubt that he'd be a solid asset to United.
    Same applies with Lozano, even if he's further ahead in many aspects (he is a couple of yrs older after all). Haven't seen much of Neres to adequately speak about him, but he does like the type of player we certainly could use.
    Like Lozano, I will be curious to see how he does in CL play with Ajax.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doesn’t Lozano play for psv? To me he is a better prospect Than Bailey especially in goal
    Scoring from the left

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #204 Ashur, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Looking at his performance from afar with PSV and then seeing how he pretty much confirmed it with Mexico in the WC (and the Confed Cup before that), Chucky for me is just one of the hottest prospects at wide forward in the game at this time.
    He's comfortable on either side, he's fearless and he's becoming a more and more complete player. The fact that he's plays in the Eredivisie can be a negative because we've seen guys being excellent there and wilt once they move up to different leagues. And that's why I'm curious to see how he does in the CL for starters, but he looks like the real deal.
    He's a couple of years older than other top prospects at wide forward (like Guedes, Bailey among others) and it shows as he's the pick of the bunch to me at this time. I think he'll be amazing for whoever grabs his next: best attacking Mexican talent since Hugo Sanchez perhaps? Not saying he's on that level (and they're not the same type of players) but I think he could be better than all the Mexican sensations who have done well in Europe at one point or another and he could have an impact similar to Sanchez at the highest level, if he keeps progressing the way he has.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    We don't need a LW.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lozano has played pretty much an equal amount of game on the right, than he did on the left last season with PSV...

benni..., Anonymous_United and thebigman repped this.
  7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm aware. I was just starting that we don't need a LW.

8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    He can play on both flanks effectively.

9. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I don’t see versatility as a positive in this instance. I’d want it nailed down that our RW is comfortably at their best as a RW and won’t have aspirations of playing on the left or through the middle.

johno repped this.
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lozano's positional versatility has naught to do why he's one of the best choices for a right sided forward for us.
    He's an excellent pick because of his qualities as a player that have been previously laid out (and are lacking in the players currently occupying the position for us). His versatility is a bonus, nothing more.
    And furthermore, most top young forwards are able to play on both sides of the pitch, with almost equal ease and effectiveness: Lozano in that case is no different than Bailey, Guedes or even Kluivert for instance...

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's precisely why I said what i said.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  12. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Usually it boils down to one position when they approach their peak though. You might start off as a LW/RW but it’s what you want to end up that matters.

13. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Surprising as well as embarrassing.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #214 Ashur, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    The whole thing is starting to make it sound as some curse, when it's not (nor should it be).
    The solution is pretty simple: just don't rush to give that jersey (or any other significant ones) to just anyone. Especially based on hope (of big sales, among other reasons) or whatever prior reputation the player comes with.
    It needs to be given on merit and when a player shows, in a United jersey, that he is fit to wear/handle said famous number. What we're doing now is, as mentioned, is making it look like a curse at worst. At best, it's becoming a joke.
    And if some numbers are vacated for quite a while, then so be it: if anything, it will enhance their value and prestige whenever someone is actually worthy of the privilege. That's what wearing certain numbers should be, when it's all said and done: it's an honor, not a right. For anyone, it does not matter who it is...

United 16 repped this.
  15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lozano likes to cut inside and use his right foot doesn’t he? So playing him Wide right negates his goal scoring ability

Imo Liverpool have it right with 2 inside forwards to maximise goal scoring

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #216 Ashur, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    Lozano loves to cut inside and shoot when on the left, but he's also a very good dribbler, who is very keen to take on a FB on the touchline and lay off the ball in the ball into the box, usually with low crosses hit with pace.
    With a striker like Lukaku, we need players like Lozano (or Bailey) and Martial on the opposite flank, willing to feed the ball to him. Lozano, like Martial will get his share of goals, but it certainly would not be his main or only function for us.
    17 goals and 8 assists last term show that he's more than just a goalscorer and he's not selfish in the least.
    Ideally, someone like him or Bailey are the type we should be looking at in terms of a wide forward. I don't see how his versatility is an issue: Ronaldo, despite a predilection to play on the left, was adept to play on the right when he was younger. Same goes for Bale, who can play effectively on both flanks and even centrally, if required.
    Lozano last season, played 12x on the left, 14x on the right and even filled 3x in a central role, which shows clearly he'll play where ever he has to, at the service of the team's particular needs.

thebigman repped this.
  17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This club needs to stop treating Jose like he is Fergie. I get the “no player is bigger” than the club spiel. But no manager not named Ferguson or Busby is also on that level. Mou has proven to be a poor man manager, a poor spender, and have a poor attitude. It is time to cut these guys off (this includes Woodward).

18. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Im sorry to interrupt but Eric Bailey is 24 and turns 25 in a few months. Regardless, he is a good defender who needs to improve his on the ball skills.

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Leon Bailey. Eric Bailly.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  20. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

LMAO!!!!

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  21. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Fergie defined who United is. He was bigger than the club even though he won't say it. When you say United you say Busby and Fergie. Mourinho has no business getting involved in that.

doubletrouble repped this.
  22. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lmao I posted a meme and it got deleted

Gilma1990 repped this.
  24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #224 Rickdog, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Greatest problem comes, when you want to sign a new player, specially those who come with big names behind them, whom demand almost as part of their contracts, to be given a certain number.

When Alexis for instance, signed for Manchester United, he wasn't given the number "7" due to a decision from club. He actually asked for it, before even signing, as that number has always been very important for him (most of his favourite all-time players, including some of those from Manchester United's past, actually wore it). Same happens on regards to CR7, so if he ever comes back to Manchester United, there will probably be some big dispute, over who gets to wear it.

Not so long ago, another great chilean forward, playing for Inter Milan, when dispossesed on his favourite number "9" (which was going to be given to recently signed Ronaldo), he dealed with this issue, coming out with the number 18 at his back, where with the help of some tape, he put the adding sign between the 1 and the 8, which mathematically speaking also is 9.

[​IMG]

This story is pretty much the same (slightly diferent) as for Balotelli's famous 45.
    4 + 5 = 9

[​IMG]

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC